Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:40:19 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  FBI / college basketball scandal...thing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: FBI / college basketball scandal...thing  (Read 5149 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« on: September 27, 2017, 02:03:34 pm »

Generally I'd comment more than the news link.  I just don't know what else to say.  This is nuts. What's everyone thinking?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/9/27/16367814/ncaa-basketball-fbi-investigation-coaches-agents-adidas

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 02:33:29 pm »

I just heard about this for the first time today so I am not very familiar with the story other than what you posted. I'm not surprised by some of the names though (other than I would expect to see some that have not been mentioned).
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 02:59:07 pm »

I'm just like you, Maine.  I read this and was like...."huh.....".  I don't know what to make of it.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 03:36:36 pm »

No need to change course, captain...that's just a little piece of ice floating in the ocean.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 08:54:19 pm »

Why is it illegal for Adidas to give a kid a boatload of money to get him to go to a specific school ?

i can see where that might impact his NCAA eligibility .. but illegal ?
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 05:59:41 am »

Why is it illegal for Adidas to give a kid a boatload of money to get him to go to a specific school ?

Because all of this money was paid under the table and no taxes were paid on these hundreds thousand dollar payouts in some cases.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 08:42:50 am »

that i understand .. so shouldn't it be an IRS investigation and not an FBI investigation ?

and even then .. why would Adidas have to pay taxes on money it spends .. there's no income there.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 11:34:57 am »

It really isn't about taxes. Here is an outline:

What are the charges?
Jim Gatto, Merl Code, Christian Dawkins, Jonathan Augustine, and Munish Sood face charges of:
Wire fraud conspiracy
Two counts of wire fraud
Money laundering conspiracy

Lamont Evans, Emanuel Richardson, Anthony Bland, Christian Dawkins, and Munish Sood face charges of:
Conspiracy to commit bribery
Solicitation of bribes and gratuities by an agent of a federally-funded organization (Lamont Evans, Emanuel Richardson, and Anthony Bland)
Solicitation of bribes and gratuities by an agent of a federally-funded organization (Christian Dawkins and Munish Sood)
Conspiracy to commit Honest Services Fraud
Honest services wire fraud (South Carolina, Oklahoma State, Arizona, USC)
Wire fraud conspiracy
Travel act conspiracy

Chuck Person and Rashan Michel face charges of:
Conspiracy
Solicitation of bribes
Conspiracy to commit honest services fraud
Honest services fraud
Conspiracy to commit wire fraud
Travel act conspiracy
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 01:16:36 pm »

While I don't like Basketball, when I heard about this, it didn't surprise me.I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more,in the major college sports.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 01:47:59 pm »

"I'm shocked to find out there's gambling going on here"

"your winnings sir"

"Oh thank you"
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 02:00:55 pm »

I think you are missing the point. Adidas and the schools were working together to get the player to commit to the school. Adidas didn't just decide to give money to player X to go to school Y because you know that's what they do. Nuh Uh. The schools sign a contract with Adidas to provide their uniforms, gear etc. Obviously it benefits both the school and Adidas to get the best recruits, but that doesn't mean that Adidas can just start paying the players as incentive. Now where that becomes illegal as opposed to an NCAA violation that's a bit of a mystery to me, but obviously it's not condoned.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:09:41 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
dolanroi

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 04:43:15 am »

I'm not surprised also to see some of the names included in the article.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 12:59:23 pm »

I think you are missing the point. Adidas and the schools were working together to get the player to commit to the school. Adidas didn't just decide to give money to player X to go to school Y because you know that's what they do. Nuh Uh. The schools sign a contract with Adidas to provide their uniforms, gear etc. Obviously it benefits both the school and Adidas to get the best recruits, but that doesn't mean that Adidas can just start paying the players as incentive. Now where that becomes illegal as opposed to an NCAA violation that's a bit of a mystery to me, but obviously it's not condoned.

It goes much deeper than just paying players to go to a school. Look at the charges I posted, this thing involves wire fraud, bribery, etc.

There are a couple related but separate investigations. In addition to Adidas there was a custom suit tailor and financial advisers who ran their business like a ponzi scheme. While there was some of the typical pay for play, it was tied to what appears to me to be a long game con where these advisers were getting their hooks set with these high school kids.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:30:33 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 03:56:25 pm »

I was on Reddit the other day and there was a gravedig of a thread from a couple of months ago where a user speculated that something like this was going on.  (I think it was) an Oklahoma state fan that thought that compensation was changing hands because there's nothing that the team had to offer the recruits of the magnitude that it was getting -- not a storied history, or exposure, or location, or anything really compared to the big programs where they were expected to go.

A few weeks later, this thing dropped.

I drink your milkshake!
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 03:22:43 pm »

It really isn't about taxes. Here is an outline:

What are the charges?
Jim Gatto, Merl Code, Christian Dawkins, Jonathan Augustine, and Munish Sood face charges of:
Wire fraud conspiracy
Two counts of wire fraud
Money laundering conspiracy

Lamont Evans, Emanuel Richardson, Anthony Bland, Christian Dawkins, and Munish Sood face charges of:
Conspiracy to commit bribery
Solicitation of bribes and gratuities by an agent of a federally-funded organization (Lamont Evans, Emanuel Richardson, and Anthony Bland)
Solicitation of bribes and gratuities by an agent of a federally-funded organization (Christian Dawkins and Munish Sood)
Conspiracy to commit Honest Services Fraud
Honest services wire fraud (South Carolina, Oklahoma State, Arizona, USC)
Wire fraud conspiracy
Travel act conspiracy

Chuck Person and Rashan Michel face charges of:
Conspiracy
Solicitation of bribes
Conspiracy to commit honest services fraud
Honest services fraud
Conspiracy to commit wire fraud
Travel act conspiracy

So giving money to a player to get them to go to a certain school is money laundering and wire fraud?  Now I'm even more confused.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray