Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:10:00 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Miami's off-season: Don't call it a comeback
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Miami's off-season: Don't call it a comeback  (Read 1183 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« on: March 20, 2018, 01:27:19 pm »

I won't beat around the bush, I love everything Miami is doing this off-season.  Every.little.move.  For years Miami has always tried to be the team making "the big splash" and winning awards in the off-season.  Mike Wallace, anyone?  The moves were loud, brash, and bold.  There has always been star power on South Beach. 

I've always jumped up and down screaming to anyone who would listen "stop the madness."  While I've never wanted Miami to go full board "Patriots way," there is something to be said for having a roster stocked (across the board) with hard-nose, fight and claw, "willing to die in the fight" guys.  Back when we used to do a lot of weekly blogs and "features" I wrote about this once: 

53 man roster.  If players are rated on "A," "B," etc; give me a roster full of B-, C+ across the board.  If having one "A" means I also have to carry a "D," I don't want him.  I'll take the consistent B's, with a few C's, straight through.  With the right coaches, I'll also watch the wins pile up.

I'm hearing "re-build year."  I call B.S.  For the first time, in a long time, I'm really excited about the direction this team is going.  There is a lot of work to be done, a lot can happen between now, camp, opening day.  However, if they keep heading in this direction - I think Miami is looking up.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 01:36:24 pm »

Let's not put the cart before the horse. A LOT of changes have been made and there's still the draft, but it remains to be seen whether or not these changes are for the better or for the worse. I'll admit that I'm not quite as upset with the Landry trade now as I was on the day it happened, but I'm far from convinced that the Dolphins will field a better team in 2018 then it did in 2017. If they do my feeling is that it will be mostly because of the continued growth of the youth of the team and I am hopeful for that, but I don't hold out a lot of hope that the free agents they have picked up will improve the team over what they lost. They may not be any worse, but I also don't believe they will be any better.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:51:02 am »

i'm in agreement with maine here, i like this off-season .. i like the direction.  The worst thing you can do in sports, and especially in the NFL is ride a player too long. get new players in here, get as much out of them as we can and then move on.
The way landry plays, we're lucky he lasted 4 years, Give me Bs all around instead of As and Ds .. cause our O-line has been a D
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 11:02:02 am »

Great take Maine! One thing is for sure. We are trying something different rather than trying the same thing with different names. It's not hard for me to imagine them being better on offense this year but I'm still hoping they can figure out how to contain the outsides and stop the running game on defense.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 12:08:30 am »

I can't remember the last time a team jettisoned its best players and did significantly better.  The Dolphins have certainly failed in the past when they have done so.

It would be one thing if the Dolphins were getting early-round picks for these players, like they did for Wes Welker, Jason Taylor, and Vontae Davis.  But they are not.  They are simply getting rid of them to get rid of them, and replacing them with inferior talent.

This is "Not a Philbin guy" all over again.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:06:56 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 09:06:51 am »

I can't remember the last time a team jettisoned its best players and did significantly better.  The Dolphins have certainly failed in the past when they have done so.

It would be one thing if the Dolphins were getting early-round picks for these players, like they did for Wes Welker, Jason Taylor, and Vontae Davis.  But they are not.  They are simply getting rid of them to get rid of them, and replacing them with inferior talent.

This is "Not a Philbin guy" all over again.

That is pretty much I feel too.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but like you said, I don't see how replacing guys with inferior talent adds up to the team being better. 
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:40:37 am »

I think I'd use different term to describe our moves this offseason than lack of talent,more lack of "upside",or pipe dream upside. Sitton,Amendola,Quinn,Gore,W.Hayes and to a certain extent Kilgore,have little to no upside,and a shitload of down side.At best we're hoping they can at least perform about where they might have been last year,banking on it is a big mistake that rarely pays off.

The WR Albert Wilson has the "Pipe dream upside" (In Baseball terms They're AAAA Players,former Top prospects),IE Devante Parker,they have all this pipe dream upside potential...If...If...If...bu t..But if...They've never been able to prove it.

We're making moves to show we're willing to make moves,more like a team (Front office/Coaching staff) trying not to get fired,but have no real plan for the future.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 10:53:50 am »

No worries I won't call it a comeback.

No matter what the Dolphins do, I won't call it a comeback.  A comeback implies you were great, you sucked and then are great again.  If Tiger wins the Masters it will be a comeback.  If the Seahawks win the Super Bowl it will be a comeback.  If the Dolphins win the super bowl it will be with players who weren't born last time MIA was relevant.  Be a shocker but I won't call it a comeback.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 11:55:22 am »

No worries I won't call it a comeback.

No matter what the Dolphins do, I won't call it a comeback.  A comeback implies you were great, you sucked and then are great again.  If Tiger wins the Masters it will be a comeback.  If the Seahawks win the Super Bowl it will be a comeback.  If the Dolphins win the super bowl it will be with players who weren't born last time MIA was relevant.  Be a shocker but I won't call it a comeback.

Well that was some bitter but truthful medicine.  I hate that my favorite team has been bad for so long that I can't argue with a word you said. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray