Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:48:56 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Proper Anthem Conduct
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Proper Anthem Conduct  (Read 32083 times)
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« on: July 20, 2018, 05:25:46 pm »

MIA folks on Twitter getting their panties in a bunch after the National Anthem snafu and knocking  Ross

Looks like MIA was one of the first teams to submit a form to the NFL cause their camps were some of the first to start the 2018 season.

Whatever, seriously, I have no problems with the players kneeling, staying in the lockers, raising fist, etc, BUT don't be surprised by blowback from the fans.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-miami-dolphins-anthem-protest-discipline-suspensions-20180719-story.html

I'd rather be lucky than good.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 07:08:21 pm »

When does the same repeated silent protest lose any affect it may have??
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 11:38:25 pm »

MIA folks on Twitter getting their panties in a bunch after the National Anthem snafu and knocking  Ross

Looks like MIA was one of the first teams to submit a form to the NFL cause their camps were some of the first to start the 2018 season.

Whatever, seriously, I have no problems with the players kneeling, staying in the lockers, raising fist, etc, BUT don't be surprised by blowback from the fans.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Isn't the Dolphins' new policy causing "blowback from the fans" in the form of "MIA folks on Twitter getting their panties in a bunch and knocking Ross"?

Equal and opposite reactions go both ways.

SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 07:48:33 am »

I don't care if they kneel. To me it's just, whatever.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 09:03:27 am »

Didn't the NFL get blowback from the fans last year for lower ratings? But now they're getting blowback this year for doing the opposite? Well, which is it?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 09:18:37 am »

I personally don't care what any of them do but I am certainly tired of hearing about it.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 09:42:22 am »

So I have my feelings/comment,and then a question...

1.) I watch games on T.V.,outside of opening day,playoffs/Superbowl,they don't show the anthem like baseball,and other sports.Even on the times they show the anthem,unless the camera man specifically seeks out the players kneeling,booth mentioning/pointing out who knelt,I only find out by writers tweets....

It doesn't really matter to me kneel,or don't kneel...I'm aware of their cause.

My Question
If you're at the game,and not looking at the video boards,(and not sitting right on the sidelines,can you even tell 3 guy's are kneeling?

I'm sure the people who are pissy about players kneeling definitely can,as they are looking for it...

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 09:29:26 am »

I've got plenty of friends, some of which are military vets, who have cancelled their NFL Sunday Ticket subscriptions, will not go to games, and will not buy merchandise as a result of this.  I said this in another thread.  These guys are paid millions to PLAY FOOTBALL, not to enhance their own political agendas on national TV.  The NBA requires all players to stand, no questions asked.  That's way more stringent than what the NFL is trying to implement.  These players have to realize something.  This is a job and jobs have policies.  You don't like the NFL's policies?  Fine, go play in Canada or the Arena League or go find a job bagging groceries or flipping burgers.  Good luck living your lavish lifestyle with those jobs.  Meanwhile, there are hundreds of talented guys who will be glad to compete for your spot.  You won't be missed. 

Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 09:39:04 am »

I've got plenty of friends, some of which are military vets, who have cancelled their NFL Sunday Ticket subscriptions, will not go to games, and will not buy merchandise as a result of this.  I said this in another thread.  These guys are paid millions to PLAY FOOTBALL, not to enhance their own political agendas on national TV.  The NBA requires all players to stand, no questions asked.  That's way more stringent than what the NFL is trying to implement.  These players have to realize something.  This is a job and jobs have policies.  You don't like the NFL's policies?  Fine, go play in Canada or the Arena League or go find a job bagging groceries or flipping burgers.  Good luck living your lavish lifestyle with those jobs.  Meanwhile, there are hundreds of talented guys who will be glad to compete for your spot.  You won't be missed. 

Clearly they will be missed because the teams haven't fired them. The NFL really should have just dropped it and not made more rules on this. It's only going to make kneeling for the anthem that much more powerful. It was coming to the end of being in the news until they created this new rule.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 01:20:52 pm »

Clearly they will be missed because the teams haven't fired them. The NFL really should have just dropped it and not made more rules on this. It's only going to make kneeling for the anthem that much more powerful. It was coming to the end of being in the news until they created this new rule.

The NFL likes their rules, and I think you are correct about the NFL making this worse by tweaking the rules.  It's like what they have done with the catch rule.  Twenty years ago was there ever much doubt of what a catch was?  I'm sure a couple of you guys can come up with a few plays, so save your time.  The point is there are going to be the occasional bad call(s), that doesn't mean the rules have to be re-written.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 10:00:25 am »

the NBA has it in their CBA what the anthem conduct is. it's spelled out. end of story.

the NFL does not, therefore imposing mandatory conduct against the CBA is an iffy proposition at best
contrary to the wisdom of our toddler in chief, where there's a CBA, you can't arbitrarily mandate whatever you want.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 10:42:39 am »

The NBA also has a very good history of having an open dialogue with their players about lots of things, including social policy.  They allow their players to wear protest shirts during warm-ups and are generally active in that dialogue with the important issues to players.  There is trust between the parties, and a respect and a bargaining agreement that reflects that.  The NFL has none of that. 

And Tommy Brad, your take is so low effort and shows a complete lack of understanding for how any of this works.  The NFL isn't like flipping burgers.  It's a monopoly.  You can't just go play for another league, therefore the rules aren't the same. 

And besides, the players are the value of the NFL.  They are the product.  And they have power.

Lastly, I just find the irony of people upset at kneeling to be so humorous.  It's such a load of jingoistic bullshit.  Why do we even have an anthem at the game?  It's not a state-sponsored event and is wholly inappropriate to begin with.  Get rid of the whole thing and move on...oh right...you can't, because this is all about money and selling the Army as a product.  The NFL gets paid to be one big commercial for the Army and this has nothing to do with patriotism.

I drink your milkshake!
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 03:47:01 pm »

the NBA has it in their CBA what the anthem conduct is. it's spelled out. end of story.

the NFL does not, therefore imposing mandatory conduct against the CBA is an iffy proposition at best
contrary to the wisdom of our toddler in chief, where there's a CBA, you can't arbitrarily mandate whatever you want.

You do have a point there, but I'll bet that will change when the current CBA expires which I believe is sometime at the end of this decade. 

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 09:02:18 pm »

You'll lose that bet.

Guess what Adam Silver, Rob Manfred, David Stern, Bud Selig, and Paul Tagliabue all have in common?  They were all lawyers.  They understand how rules work, how contracts work, and how to operate in that environment.  Guess who has never passed a bar exam?  Roger Goodell, who is an up-jumped PR exec that brown-nosed his way to the commissioner job.

And it shows.  Goodell is clownishly incompetent (but keeps his job because he always prioritizes pleasing his bosses, the owners), while Silver is a consummate professional who handles everything like a skilled diplomat.  Silver won't have any problem, because he negotiates with his players in good faith and doesn't arbitrarily pull emperor moves.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:05:11 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 11:54:13 am »

^ Bingo.

The NFL is my favorite league, but it has some catching up to do to the NBA in terms of owner/player policy.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray