Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:48:31 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Is tonight the one game we actually TRY and win?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is tonight the one game we actually TRY and win?  (Read 1892 times)
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« on: August 17, 2018, 08:33:36 am »

It's preseason.  Every year each team plays 4 or 5 not-exhibition games.  Largely all but one of these games are to determine who is going to fill out the bench and get at least some live game experience in the event that they are called into action during the regular season.

However, there's always one game where the starters play well into to the third and even fourth quarter and you see some semblance of an actual game plan.  Will that be tonight against Carolina?

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 08:49:10 am »

That is typically week 3.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 10:23:11 am »

Week two is not a big deal. Like Hoodie said they game plan and do more with game 3. Game 4 is filled with people who will bagging groceries in a week.

With that said ... I really love what BB did last night with Brady. He gave him a lot of time to get practice with his new receivers. I really wish we'd spend more time actually playing than standing on the sidelines pretending "we got this" ... when clearly we do not.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 01:26:19 pm »

When the score doesn't count, I'd prefer my QB to get practice in practice, where defenders aren't trying to hurt him.

There is nothing more discouraging than having an important player get seriously injured in a meaningless preseason game.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 02:05:47 pm »

When the score doesn't count, I'd prefer my QB to get practice in practice, where defenders aren't trying to hurt him.

There is nothing more discouraging than having an important player get seriously injured in a meaningless preseason game.

I agree.  I think looking at this season realistically, the Dolphins aren't going to be a playoff caliber team anyway.  So if it takes Tannehill a game or two to his stride, it isn't likely to be the reason they don't make the playoffs.  So I would rather he not get as many snaps in preseason.  I feel that way for most of the impact players really, but especially the QB.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 04:32:31 pm »

I agree.  I think looking at this season realistically, the Dolphins aren't going to be a playoff caliber team anyway.  So if it takes Tannehill a game or two to his stride, it isn't likely to be the reason they don't make the playoffs.  So I would rather he not get as many snaps in preseason.  I feel that way for most of the impact players really, but especially the QB.
If it takes a couple of games the media and fans will destroy this coach and QB. I'm old school ... I guess. I think if you are worried about getting hurt then you shouldn't be playing the game. a person can get hurt in the grocery store or even on the way to the game.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 07:13:30 pm »

Game 4 is filled with people who will bagging groceries in a week.

Me and my friends have a ritual for game 4 of the Bucs preseason.  We each throw $10 into a pot, grab a list of "bubble players" and watch the game.  Then, based on the players performances, we try to predict who will get cut and who will make the roster.  Whoever guesses the most correctly by the final cut deadline takes the pot.  It makes the last preseason game fun.

Rules for this contest are as follows:

1.  You must turn your picks in within an hour of the end of the game.

2.  Bubble players only.  The list is determined by the Tampa Bay Times

3.  The final cut deadline (usually at 4pm the Saturday after the game) is the absolute deadline for determining the winner.  Where a player stands at that point is what counts in the tallying of the scores.  For example:  If a player you picked to make the team originally survives the final cuts but is then cut a couple days later as teams churn the bottom of their rosters, it still counts as a correct guess

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 08:11:45 pm »

Apparently not. 1st and goal and not one pass play. WTF is that?

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 10:19:21 pm »

Do we have a 3rd down passing play that is caught beyond the 1st down marker? We have those in the playbook right?

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 09:52:06 am »

The goal of preseason has nothing to do with winning the game.  Get out the rust for the vets, get the rookies some experience, evaluate the players to determine who makes the team and who the starter is. 

If your more concerned with evaluating the RBs than WRs you call more running plays.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 02:06:53 pm »

No game thread last night? You guys B slackin'.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 11:58:29 am »

No game thread last night? You guys B slackin'.

I didn't even really watch the game.  As much as I love the Dolphins, I find these preseason games to be absolutely brutal -- everything from the same 3 local commercials, to the telecast, to the absolute vanilla play-calling, to the guys playing that you'll never hear from.

The product is so bad that I wish it would just cease to be.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 01:16:49 pm »

I didn't even really watch the game.  As much as I love the Dolphins, I find these preseason games to be absolutely brutal -- everything from the same 3 local commercials, to the telecast, to the absolute vanilla play-calling, to the guys playing that you'll never hear from.

The product is so bad that I wish it would just cease to be.
Just a little humor to lighten the burden of being a Dolphins fan, LMAO...

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 11:52:26 am »

^ Yeah....the season is brutal enough, having to watch this team play 16 times....adding 4 more turds to the mix doesn't help.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 12:17:03 pm »

To answer the original question, from the way it looked (watched the replay on NFL Network), I REALLY hope they weren't trying to win that game.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray