Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:58:31 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Raiders-Dolphins Takeaways
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Raiders-Dolphins Takeaways  (Read 1085 times)
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« on: September 24, 2018, 11:34:08 am »

I try not to look at the AFCE standings, I get light-headed if I look real quick and then have to a double-take to realize the Dolphins are 3-0 and sitting atop in 1st place, 2nd games ahead of everyone else. Woo-hoo!!!!! 

Things that looked good:
Passing game - I will say this with a little trepidation because in the 1st half, particularly the 1st Q there is still too much dinking and dunking. Even my wife said on the WR screens and flare out passes "I hate these passes where they go horizontally!!!"  Several plays in the 1st Q were obvious short passes and got nothing in return

NOW......you could say these type of formations setup up some of the trick plays later on that score big plays AND points for us, but without going back and looking at the formations, I can't say.  but I would like to see more of the vertical passing game early in the games with more consistency.

The OL was awesome in my opinion, gave Tannehill alot of time, especially in the 2nd half, where they kept him clean and allowed some passes not only deep but in the middle of the field.

Pass Rush: Again, for another week, they caused some havoc. First play of the game Quinn beat his man and hit Carr that threw of his target.  Now, he did come back and hit Nelson with a 78 pitch & catch on the very next play, but they were effective in the 2nd half and causing 2 INTs that stopped momentum in the 1st half and of course the pick in the EZ halted pts and got them the ball back and score

DEF running game - This can not be understated, but after the injury to Hayes, the bogus penalty/penalty on Akeem Spence (yes he grabbed the facemask, but he did not swing it with malice) and the other injuries this team faced yesterday, they actually did a decent job not to give up the HUGE run.  They were battered and beatened but did not give up the HR run that could have been the back breaker. 109 yds given up and 3.4 avg

Not god-awful, so I'll take it.

DEF turnovers - 3rd week in a row where the DEF forced multiple TO's  Winning the TO battle every week is freakin great!!!!

Special Teams: Matt Haack with 47 yd punt avg and 3 punts inside the Raiders 20 yd line.  Another solid week.

NO TURNOVERS!!!!!!!!!!

Things that looked not so good:
Running game - Uggggh.  This was not a good week and really thought the lack of running the ball in the end would be our doom.  But Tannehill lead all rushers with 27 yds and none bigger than the scramble for 18 yds and a 1st down. Even tried a little juke move at the end.  Seems as though this was part of the game that the Raiders sold out on, stopping the run and forcing Tannehill to beat them in the air.

I did also want to say that the 2 little "pitches" that scored Grant and Wilson are called passes, but come one, these are sweeps and the OL and WR got there and blocked their assignments and opened these holes for scores. So, hats off to these guys on these plays.

DEF passing  game : Looked abysmal early on, as Minkah missed on the Jordy Nelson 78 yd catch and then Nelson was wide open on the 1st TD of the game. Came back on the 2nd series and Bobby McCain got beat off the line and Nelson had ANOTHER big gain

After this, they seem to settle down and there was better defense Carr passes, plus the 2 INTs  I think the largest gain on a pass after the 1st Q might have been in the teens IIRC

Minkah playing Safety was definitely not a great start The DBs seem to play a little more aggressive and more confidence as the game went on.

OVERALL: Slow start to the game and of course the quick score by the Raiders was a little disconcerting, but MIA settle down and stopped the goal line effort by Chucky to keep from being down 14-0.  Final Grade: B+

PS - One final thing, and I'm sure all agree, the Ref calls that went against us were atrocious.  Now, I get that every game there will be 1 or 2 calls that go against your team, but MIA had THREE calls that absolutely killed momentum and points.  Two were OFF PI calls on the WRs. I hope the NFL views this tape and realizes they (Grant and Stills) were not at fault and running their routes.  also, the hold on Kilgore?  GTFOH!!! Just great blocking and he pancaked his ass.  Bad calls that cost MIA points.

Let's Go Phins! Beat the Patriots!!!!

I'd rather be lucky than good.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 11:48:14 am »

Grant might actually have been guilty, it's hard to tell from the angle. There was no replay, but I watched the play a few times and Grant clearly runs right at the defender and possibly contacts him before cutting.

The one against Stills was beyond awful.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 11:53:18 am »

You're right, the one on Grant  was more likely of the 2, but he has such a low center of gravity, that when he hit the defender he kinda brushed him off.

IIRC didn't Trent Green say that the Raiders sent in tape to be reviewed that could seen as Off penalties against MIA from what they had seen in the 1st 2 games of the season?

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 04:38:58 pm »

I'm assuming some of the defensive difficulties were at least partially a result of Reshad Jones not being in the lineup.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray