Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:31:23 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Is Brady really the GOAT or a goat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Is Brady really the GOAT or a goat?  (Read 4121 times)
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« on: October 05, 2018, 08:36:38 am »

So I'll come right out and admit that I'm a Patriots hater. But I'm not letting that cloud or impact my post. This is just a question coming from a football fan, and not a hater I just have this thought, and you can all let me know if I'm crazy. I think, that if Brady was on any other team, he would just be any other QB. I think that he's just a system QB. The example I've used for this is Matt Cassel. When Brady went down in '08 (?) Cassel stepped in and still won 11 for the Patriots, then went to KC where he didn't really do much of anything. There's more that I could go into this, but can't right now. I'm being watched lol

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 09:14:08 am »

Yep, you are, indeed, crazy. Batshit crazy even...

Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 10:29:09 am »

When Brady went down the patriots won 5 less games.  Any one  player that can change your win total by 5 games in a 16 game season is not insignificant. 

And any QB who can connect with 71 different recivers for a TD can be successful in multiple systems.

However, when dividing up how much of the Patriots success has been Brady and how much is Belichick, I give the coach more of the credit than the QB.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 10:31:29 am »

He's a garbage cheater...GCOAT
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 10:58:07 am »

I think Brady is in the conversation ... but I also think that's all any player could hope for. Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor, Joe Montana and Johnny Unitas are all worthy of putting in the conversation but there is no way of ever knowing who really is.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 11:11:44 am »

I don't think Brady has the best physical tools of all time, but he certainly is difficult to rattle, is mentally prepared, understands the game, and makes few mistakes.

I thought for a few years that he was a glorified game manager, but eventually I realized how good he is.  He is one of the greatest of all time, IMO.

I drink your milkshake!
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 08:47:18 am »

Brady is not the Greatest of All Time.  He is one out of maybe the top 5 or top 10.  Can you see Brady bitching to the ref for a flag while Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen are taking turns on him?  How great would he be if he had to call his own plays?  Could he pull a Roger Staubach and spend 4 years in the Navy?  He is one of the greats sure.  You have to be to win that many Superbowl rings but he's not THE greatest.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 12:01:30 am »

I see Tom Brady and Peyton Manning as basically improved versions of Joe Montana and Dan Marino.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 09:20:56 am »

Brees GOAT
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 10:22:22 am »

My thoughts were I agree,with Dave,and Spider...on him being the GOAT.

I don't think he was ever the most talented QB,but it's hard to overlook his drive,competitiveness,preparations (keeping himself in shape,and working with his personal coach on his mechanic,etc)...IMO all these things can be said about Drew Brees too...(I don't know near as much about Drew,as Tom).

I also think the era,and rules of the game work in his favor,but I **personally** can penalize him for that,It's something he has no control over...

Like him or not He's won...As a Dolphins fan,I have to admire his accomplishments as a player...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:24:34 am by DaLittle B » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 11:05:12 am »

I see Tom Brady and Peyton Manning as basically improved versions of Joe Montana and Dan Marino.

I would say that is fair.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 11:19:56 am »

Brees GOAT

If you are going to make a case there is a contemporary QB better than Brady, Rodgers rather than Brees makes the more compelling argument. 

Outside of Brady’s phenomenal post-season success the two best arguments in his favor are low turnover rate and the fact he plays in a Northern outdoor stadium.

Not throwing an interception is more important than throwing a TD.  Rodgers is the only QB with a better int % than Brady.  One other QB is tied with Brady but is unemployed for political reasons.

Completing passes in Green Bay or NE winter is more challenging than indoors in NOLA. 

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 11:21:01 am »

How are they "improved"? Are you saying Brady would have had better results than Montana under the rules he played and that Manning would have been better than Marino with DBs draped all over his receivers and no running game?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 12:46:42 pm »

If you are going to make a case there is a contemporary QB better than Brady, Rodgers rather than Brees makes the more compelling argument. 

Outside of Brady’s phenomenal post-season success the two best arguments in his favor are low turnover rate and the fact he plays in a Northern outdoor stadium.

Not throwing an interception is more important than throwing a TD.  Rodgers is the only QB with a better int % than Brady.  One other QB is tied with Brady but is unemployed for political reasons.

Completing passes in Green Bay or NE winter is more challenging than indoors in NOLA. 

Brees has more passing yards than any other QB ever, essentially tied with Brady on most td passes, never had a defense, won a superbowl...

From wiki

NFL records
Most career passing yards
Most career pass completions
471 pass completions in a season
Highest career completion percentage
72.0 single-season completion percentage
7 touchdown passes in a game (tied)
54 consecutive games with a touchdown pass
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 01:21:55 pm »

For what it's worth, the QB that I want with the game on the line is Rodgers. I think he's maybe the best active QB in the league right now, and has been for a little bit.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray