Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:21:20 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What in the heck is wrong with South Florida elections?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What in the heck is wrong with South Florida elections?  (Read 3139 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: November 07, 2018, 10:03:52 am »

How in the world, in today's day and age, can it take so long to post results? It's been 18 years since the hanging chads and we don't seem any closer to being organized down there.  I know the mortgage industry has a different set of rules for South Florida because of all the fraud so I have to wonder if they need to institute something to make south Florida more efficient in voting too? The longer it takes to report numbers the more it seems fishy to a lot of us. There is no logical reason that Arizona is reporting results before South Florida. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 11:30:15 am »

simple.  the current system benefits the republican party.  the republicans control the state government.  why would you expect them to fix the problem that allowed them to rig the election in their favor? Hanging chads weren’t a problem if your goal was Bush rather than Al Gore becoming president. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 12:27:00 pm »

I voted for Gore and I think you are completely wrong. Democrats control the voting in South Florida as everyone voted for their own “Supervisor of Elections”. The rest of the state including Democratic heavy Orange and Osceola counties (Orlando and Kissimmee) have no issues. They are also very heavily Latino based so should be very swinilar situations.

What you have done is provide an excuse rather than expose the real issue.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 12:47:01 pm »

Florida has a lot of people in certain areas and is an enormous State that spans multiple time zones.

It's also a really, really, REALLY close State, so it just takes longer to call, from a math perspective.  When you're only dealing with 1% margins, more votes matter.  If you have a candidate up 5 points, you can call it way earlier and count the details later.

We really should be voting on the Internet.  Getting people to register is dumb, already.  It's even dumber to spend all this money on old people holding clipboards.  You should be registered, by default, by nature of having any government service (driver's license, library card, school registration, etc.)  Handle it like taxes.  You just log in securely, make your picks, and move on.

I drink your milkshake!
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 12:55:56 pm »

Florida has a lot of people in certain areas and is an enormous State that spans multiple time zones.

It's also a really, really, REALLY close State, so it just takes longer to call, from a math perspective.  When you're only dealing with 1% margins, more votes matter.  If you have a candidate up 5 points, you can call it way earlier and count the details later.

We really should be voting on the Internet.  Getting people to register is dumb, already.  It's even dumber to spend all this money on old people holding clipboards.  You should be registered, by default, by nature of having any government service (driver's license, library card, school registration, etc.)  Handle it like taxes.  You just log in securely, make your picks, and move on.

I like this idea.   A lot.   

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 01:29:41 pm »

1st, I'm pretty sure those old people volunteer but feel free to research and correct me. 2nd, you can't trust "secure connections" with something as vital as our elections.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 01:36:59 pm »

"Spending money" doesn't just refer to salaries.  It's buildings, security, ballot machines, etc.

I don't believe that you can't trust secure connections.  We exist online now.  Business happens this way.  We do our banking this way.  Taxes are digital.  You can buy a house....you can adopt a child.  All of these things are done online.  It is a fear and a control limitation, not a technical one.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 02:14:29 pm »

Internet voting is the wrong way to go.  We should be looking to WA, who has done mail-in voting only since 2012.

While every form of voting is potentially subject to tampering, internet voting is uniquely vulnerable to tampering from foreign governments.  Do you trust EVERY county elections office in the country to properly maintain electronic security?  Because it only takes one instance of "Oops, we had 3.7 million votes cast in a county with a population of 50,000" to expose the flaws in the system.  I take the Battlestar Galactica anti-Cylon approach to voting: no part of recording or counting votes should be tied to the internet in any way.  The stakes are too big.

If the biggest argument for internet voting is that it takes too long to count the votes, there is no argument.  We have MONTHS before anyone is scheduled to be sworn in.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:17:08 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 02:37:46 pm »

I'm not worried about the time....I'm worried about the ease of use.

If everyone voted by mail, I guess that would be fine.

I suppose us electing Putin as a unanimous write-in would be bad.  ...but I think that there can be other, reasonable checks in place.
I'm also thinking of one, universal system...not worrying about precincts and all that.

Maybe allow votes over the Internet as an option, but they wouldn't be secret ballot, so you could verify the result.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 02:44:54 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't trust internet voting due to ID concerns. However, the left says that actual voter ID is racist because minorities can't get voter IDs. On the other hand you have to make sure that the voter is who he said he is. Why don't they just use some kind of biometric info for voter ID. It's unique and everyone is born with it so there should be no complaints from the left of racism.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 02:48:56 pm »

As long as everyone only gets one vote, I'm not concerned about people voting for other people.  As long as you digitally adopt the signature, I don't think it's worth stealing one vote for a potential felony.  Biometrics would be fine, too, if you needed proof.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 03:15:25 pm »

^Computer, Digital, Florida, Old People....you really think all of those things go together?  lol
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 03:19:18 pm »

^Computer, Digital, Florida, Old People....you really think all of those things go together?  lol
hahaha ... I was going to say this same thing.

I like the idea of the paper ballets that get scanned. That way there is always back-up to show how each precinct voted. As well ... I'm not a big fan of the mail in ballots. Seems to easy to falsify or even lose in the mail to me.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 04:36:11 pm »

hahaha ... I was going to say this same thing.

I like the idea of the paper ballets that get scanned. That way there is always back-up to show how each precinct voted. As well ... I'm not a big fan of the mail in ballots. Seems to easy to falsify or even lose in the mail to me.

South Florida was a banana republic for the 30 years that I lived there.  Seems like not much has changed in the 12 years since I left.  For what it is worth, I was in Iraq for 2 years and their elections were a lot worse.   Grin
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 04:54:01 pm »

I'm just amazed at the number of people taking selfies with their "I voted" stickers.   How cute that they got stickers for voting.   Roll Eyes    A banana gets a sticker simply for being a banana. 

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray