Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:01:43 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Are you ready for some football?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Are you ready for some football?  (Read 17452 times)
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2019, 02:29:49 pm »

This is too bad. I really enjoy watching AAF.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2019, 12:02:23 am »

Turns out the players were kicked out of their rooms today (that hadn't been paid in a week), given garbage bags to clean out their belongings, and then told that they had to find their own way to get home.  That's bush league.  
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:42:27 am by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2019, 12:49:35 am »

No more football leagues.

They never work. 

Whoever is in charge of Bringing the XFL back should end that project immediately. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2019, 08:38:29 am »

Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel is ripping these guys to shreds.  I agree with him that the Hurricanes owner is not to blame here but the league's co- founders are.  I'm sure more stories are going to come out about money being owed.   Getting bottom roster NFL players wouldn't have changed a damn thing.  This league was bleeding red ink everywhere.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-aaf-suspends-operations-spurrier-apollos-20190402-story.html

BeanCounter

« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2019, 01:22:17 pm »

How the hell does a league where every game is televised nationally fold?  The AAF now replaces the XFL as the biggest joke of a football league.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2019, 03:55:24 pm »

I don't get it, they had to expect to have some losses for this start-up business, it seems they are tied to the wrong investor.  The only problem I saw was that they were charging NFL ticket prices, which is a bit much for a first season league; prices probably should have been half what they charged and they probably could have made the difference up in concession sales from the added fans at games.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2019, 08:12:30 am »

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."    Every alternative football league has failed so I'm not sure why the people who sink money into new leagues think they are going to be the one time that it works.  As I said in February, AAF stood no chance of working, just like the XFL will stand no chance of working next year. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2019, 01:39:38 pm »

I wouldn't classify their media deal as having every game nationally televised and I wouldn't say they were charging NFL prices either. The league was far from either of these things. Football is such an expensive sport, this league was writing rubber checks and making false promises. It was a scam.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2019, 01:43:42 pm »

XFL will learn from what the AAF did wrong, and will likely fold as well.  It really needs to be in your face to watch it, no obscure channels.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2019, 01:54:52 pm »

The AAF folding early is the best thing that could have happened for the XFL.  No way both could have survived. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2019, 03:35:08 pm »

XFL will learn from what the AAF did wrong, and will likely fold as well.  It really needs to be in your face to watch it, no obscure channels.

I wouldn't call CBS Sports, TNT, and NFL Network obscure

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2019, 03:41:03 pm »

^^^For football, I would.  TNT is the only one on basic cable packages.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2019, 04:06:15 pm »

^^^For football, I would.  TNT is the only one on basic cable packages.

The target market has a sports package.  Folks that only watch NFL at super bowl parties, were never going to watch the AAF. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2019, 08:46:06 am »

A lot of nasty stuff is coming out about Dundon.   Turns out he made his fortune preying on poor people with subprime car loans and he invested in the league to become the majority owner so he could have control of its state of the art technology including the gambling app.   He might be losing $70 million on this but it was his call to shut the league down and now he owns that app.  He'll make that money back easily and then some.  Meanwhile, a lot of players, coaches, and team employees are left hanging out to dry.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray