Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:58:08 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Are you ready for some football?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Are you ready for some football?  (Read 17553 times)
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2019, 12:37:29 am »

A report came out saying this league is in danger of folding if the NFLPA won't provide players from NFL practice squads

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2019, 06:13:27 am »

I know. That’s bad news. I really like the AAF. I hope it can make it. You don’t suppose that the NFL feels at all threatened by the AAF do you?

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2019, 07:18:03 am »

NFL should adopt the AAF and make it its minor league.

Regardless, the XFL starts next year.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2019, 10:13:55 am »

The sticking point is over compensation for player who have signed a futures contract with an NFL and gets injured playing AAF.  The NFL is okay with the player playing, but the union (rightfully so) wants injury guaranteed money.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2019, 11:40:55 am »

The sticking point is over compensation for player who have signed a futures contract with an NFL and gets injured playing AAF.  The NFL is okay with the player playing, but the union (rightfully so) wants injury guaranteed money.

Simple solution for that.   AAF players cannot sign NFL contracts until their season is over. 

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2019, 12:50:39 pm »

Simple solution for that.   AAF players cannot sign NFL contracts until their season is over. 

That is the problem.  GM sees enough of a player to want him in camp.  In order to sign that contract the player needs to quit the AAF.  Would be better if the player could continue to get experience.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2019, 01:36:08 pm »

The biggest issue is the NFL needs to adopt this league or it will fold. They took a huge gamble that the NFL would buy into a farm system and that may not be the case.  It could fold as early as this week according to some reports. Crazy!

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2019, 01:45:17 pm »

The biggest issue is the NFL needs to adopt this league or it will fold. They took a huge gamble that the NFL would buy into a farm system and that may not be the case.  It could fold as early as this week according to some reports. Crazy!

I don’t think the NFL cares one way or another about the AAF.  BUT their existing farm program the NCAA wants it to fail.  The NFL isn’t going to rescue the AAF and piss off the colleges.  College football and basketball is relevent but either don’t have a minor league or it is largely irrelevant.  Baseball and hockey have relevant minor leagues, but the college championships go largely unnoticed. 

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2019, 12:09:56 pm »

Baseball and hockey have relevant minor leagues, but the college championships go largely unnoticed. 

That's because the best high school baseball and hockey players don't go to college.   They go pro straight out of high school.   And that goes unnoticed as well unless the player makes it to the big leagues

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2019, 02:52:30 pm »

I don't really care whether or not it folds other than the fact that if it does, I can gloat about how I said it was going to fold back in February.  LOL   
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2019, 05:08:55 pm »

The biggest issue is the NFL needs to adopt this league or it will fold. They took a huge gamble that the NFL would buy into a farm system and that may not be the case.  It could fold as early as this week according to some reports. Crazy!

I'm guessing they would play out the season before folding.  They have the money to do so.   The entire league folding right before the playoffs would be a huge embarrassment
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 05:20:41 pm by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2019, 09:16:07 pm »

Keep the AAF alive. The world needs more football.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2019, 10:07:33 am »

A scathing article by Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel shines a light on the cockroaches.   The Apollos had to get rid of their radio broadcasting crew because the league hasn't paid the bill at the local radio station??  That's really disturbing.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-spurrier-aaf-apollos-dundon-fold-20190327-story.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 01:04:40 pm by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2019, 01:38:40 pm »

It could fold as early as this week according to some reports. Crazy!
Looks like it went one more week but it now suspended. Unless some billionaieres jump in I can't see it picking back up.

Dundon is losing approximately $70 million on his investment. Per the report, Dundon made the decision to halt operations against the wishes of league co-founders Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian.

Practice for the Apollos was cut short after getting the news.  Spurrier was his usual self and joked that if this is the end, he hopes the @aafAPOLLOS, with their 7-1 record are crowned champs.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 02:07:23 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2019, 02:21:47 pm »

Looks like it went one more week but it now suspended. Unless some billionaieres jump in I can't see it picking back up.

Dundon is losing approximately $70 million on his investment. Per the report, Dundon made the decision to halt operations against the wishes of league co-founders Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian.

Practice for the Apollos was cut short after getting the news.  Spurrier was his usual self and joked that if this is the end, he hopes the @aafAPOLLOS, with their 7-1 record are crowned champs.

I hope so too.  I had loads of fun with this league.   It was good, for once, to be able to watch football after the Super Bowl

This really sucks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/aaf-operations-reportedly-suspended-leagues-future-in-doubt-after-eight-games-of-first-season/amp/

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray