Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:18:10 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Miami's cap situation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Miami's cap situation  (Read 2843 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: June 23, 2019, 10:29:27 pm »

Note:  I intend this to be serious thread.  You can disagree with my points and ideas, but I respectfully request that posters refrain from the usual, "You're a closet Patriots fan" stuff.  I have told you all over and over that I do not root for the New England Patriots to win unless them winning improves Miami's playoff chances (like in 2016 and 2017). 

So anyway, the premise of this thread is that in 2017, Miami spent ten million dollars on a bad quarterback for one season.  With the new pass interference rules, is it worth spending $12 to $15 million for a one contract to try to lure Gronkowski out of retirement? 

Having a player of his caliber would definitely help a young quarterback like Rosen.  And with the new PI rules, it will be MUCH harder to stop him.  He got mugged all the time during his career.   Now those plays would be reviewable and flags thrown. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 05:04:29 am »

With the new pass interference rules, is it worth spending $12 to $15 million for a one contract to try to lure Gronkowski out of retirement?
No.  He's old and frequently injured.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 05:52:57 am »

In todays edition of moronic ideas........

Should the Dolphins forfeit draft picks and get fined by offering contracts to players whose rights are currently held by other teams?

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 07:31:14 am »

No.  He's old and frequently injured.
This.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 09:50:03 am »

In todays edition of moronic ideas........

Should the Dolphins forfeit draft picks and get fined by offering contracts to players whose rights are currently held by other teams?

What Hoodie is saying is that even though he "retired" his rights still belong to the Patriots and that's the only team he can play for unless they trade him.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 10:37:57 am »

So let me get this straight, Gronk doesn't want to play for the Patriots, but he's gonna come play for the Dolphins instead? Even if the Dolphins wanted him Gronk wouldn't do it...even if he could which he can't. Do you even think about what you are suggesting?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:39:38 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 12:24:44 pm »

What Hoodie is saying is that even though he "retired" his rights still belong to the Patriots and that's the only team he can play for unless they trade him.

I thought that was obvious.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 01:34:23 pm »

I was expecting a real discussion about the cap.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 01:54:43 pm »

You have figured out that over half the threads I start in “ATNFL” are puns of the players names, but are still expecting a real discussion from the OP.   Huh
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:57:53 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 02:34:20 pm »

we should invest half of our salary cap into a time machine and go back in time and kidnap gronkowski before he got drafted and sign him into a minimum scale contract with incentives .. then we'll totes win !
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 02:57:16 pm »

Right? I saw the topic and was thinking "Nice, a topic we can sink our teeth into!"

Then I saw who started the topic...and realized it was probably not so much about the salary cap, but about some Patriots player, or some officials mistake, or a rule that is misunderstood.

Yep...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 03:04:13 pm »

but about some Patriots player, or some officials mistake, or a rule that is misunderstood.

Got 2 of them.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 03:24:41 pm »

I'm hijacking this thread then...we all know salary cap does not matter this year, and next year we're projected to have $120 million in space and 10 draft picks.  That is how you do a rebuild!

https://clutchpoints.com/dolphins-news-miami-projected-to-have-120-million-in-cap-space-and-at-least-10-draft-picks-in-2020/

I don't know how they'll use that money, hopefully wisely, but to not be in cap hell is something we're just not used to.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 07:46:38 pm »

So why do the Patriots still have Gronkowski's rights?  How does that work? 

Did Miami own Ricky Williams' rights after he retired in 2004?  They went after his signing bonus.  Could the Patriots go after Gronk's?  I thought when a player retired it he became a free agent.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 08:03:08 pm »

If a player still has time left on his contract (or is a ERFA or RFA) the team retains their rights.  Most players that retire are UFA often having been recently cut.  (And aren’t getting offers)

If this wasn’t the rule every player could announce retirement to become a FA and get out of his contract. 

This is pretty basic stuff.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray