Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:31:25 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Expectations for the Dolphins in 2019.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Expectations for the Dolphins in 2019.  (Read 2070 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: July 25, 2019, 04:29:05 pm »

I read an article today about the lowered expectations for the Dolphins. Personally I have not lowered my expectations for this year. My expectations for the Dolphins this year are the same as they are for every season, which is to make the playoffs and then see what happens. In my opinion the Dolphins should have those same expectations for this year. Now I'm not anticipating that's what will happen, but it is nonetheless my expectation. I want my professional football team to expect to make the playoffs every year they are in the league regardless of how they are perceived by the media or the pundits. If they fall short they should be disappointed they did not meet those expectations even if those expectations were quite lofty to start the year. I don't think any professional athlete should go into a year thinking making the playoffs is unrealistic. Things happen all the time. Players get injured. Others perform better then expected. Miami once went from 1-15 to 11-5 and made the playoffs. That's what I want all the players thinking this year that they will somehow defy the odds and make the playoffs. I want a bunch of optimistic overachievers, not pessimistic underachievers. Any player that doesn't believe the Dolphins can make the playoffs this year right now should look for another team in my opinion.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 05:05:18 pm »

Any player that doesn't believe the Dolphins can make the playoffs this year right now should look for another team in my opinion.

They aren’t free agents.  Players might not believe Dolphins have a shot at making the playoffs, but that doesn’t mean they can look for another team.  If they could, I am sure at least few would be heading to NE, KC or Philadelphia.  But that isn’t an option.  When was the last time a FA signed with Mia because he believed Mia gave him his best shot at a ring? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 05:17:37 pm »

They aren’t free agents.  Players might not believe Dolphins have a shot at making the playoffs, but that doesn’t mean they can look for another team.  If they could, I am sure at least few would be heading to NE, KC or Philadelphia.  But that isn’t an option.  When was the last time a FA signed with Mia because he believed Mia gave him his best shot at a ring? 
Fair enough. It's up to the coaching staff to weed out those players, I'll give you that, but I don't want them in Miami.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 09:49:49 am »

Channing Crowder talked about this the other day. He said Channing the player would never admit they didn't have a chance to make the playoffs while Channing the analyst can't ignore the fact the team doesn't have a lot of talent and should finish pretty poorly.

Personally this is the first season I can remember where I didn't have some sort of great expectations but I don't have issue with fans who think we will make the playoffs and shock some people. I'm going with 3-4 wins this year.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 10:31:48 am »

I think anymore than 6 wins would be a gift.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 10:40:52 am »

Channing Crowder talked about this the other day. He said Channing the player would never admit they didn't have a chance to make the playoffs while Channing the analyst can't ignore the fact the team doesn't have a lot of talent and should finish pretty poorly.
Exactly. The players should always believe they can make the playoffs or at the very least that should be the expectation they set for the year regardless of whether or not it's realistic. That's the philosophy I always had when I played sports. Believe you can win even if the odds are against it.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 11:39:17 am »

I'm kinda with Dave on this one...I think 5-6 wins is pretty much the ceiling with this squad.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 11:50:25 am »

Exactly. The players should always believe they can make the playoffs or at the very least that should be the expectation they set for the year regardless of whether or not it's realistic. That's the philosophy I always had when I played sports. Believe you can win even if the odds are against it.

There is a difference between actual believing you will make the playoffs and being smart enough not to admit in public they doubt the teams prospects.  

If you offered to each Dolphin player the following....if Dolphins win the division you will get 4x your salary, if Dolphins don’t win the division you don’t get your salary.  How many Dolphin’s player would take that bet?  Vs the percentage of KC, NE, or Rams players that would?

But believing you will make the playoffs is not the end all.  Same bet at the start of training camp 2008 and I doubt Channing or any other Dolphins player is betting his salary on anyone but NE.  Any Fins player that believed at the start of 2008 they were winning the division wasn’t just optimistic they were irrational and delusional. But the Fins won the division anyway.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 12:18:16 pm »

There is a difference between actual believing you will make the playoffs and being smart enough not to admit in public they doubt the teams prospects.  
There's a HUGE difference between believing you will make the playoffs and betting your salary on it. I don't really know what this means if anything. Besides I didn't say they should believe they will make the playoffs, I said they should believe they CAN make the playoffs. It should be their expectations. What you hope to achieve, not what you believe you will achieve.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 08:22:24 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 12:36:25 pm »

When I buy a powerball ticket I do so believing I can win, but not believing that I will win.  Are you holding Fins players to that standard?  If so, okay.  The Dolphins have a better chance of winning the SB than I do of powerball.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 01:25:19 pm »

Any player that doesn't believe the Dolphins can make the playoffs this year right now should look for another team in my opinion.

I don't think that's a fair thing to say.  The Players have a pretty good idea of who their competition is, and what the make-up of their team is.  However, it is fair to say you just want players that are going to give 100% every week, and to try and overachieve.

Analyzing this teams' make-up (players and coaches) I don't expect them to make the playoffs; probably 6 or 7 wins, BUT I still hope they can eek out 9 wins and get a wild card birth.

CORRECTION: I just looked at the schedule, they'll be lucky to get 5 wins.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:28:45 pm by masterfins » Logged
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 01:36:42 pm »

I think anymore than 6 wins would be a gift.

I'm not even expecting this.  Agreed.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 08:13:06 pm »

When I buy a powerball ticket I do so believing I can win, but not believing that I will win.  Are you holding Fins players to that standard?  If so, okay.  The Dolphins have a better chance of winning the SB than I do of powerball.
Sort of but for different reasons. You can't impact whether or not you will win powerball. All the Dolphins players have a chance at helping the Dolphins make the playoffs. When I played, I had faith that I would outperform others expectations. If everyone on the Dolphins did that (outperformed others expectations, not just believe they would) they would have a chance of making the playoffs. That's what I expect. That they believe they can overachieve and do what most people don't believe they can. It's in their hands, it's not just luck like the powerball is. The first step in making it happen is believing it can happen. Doesn't mean it will happen, but if you don't believe it can happen then it won't.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 08:19:39 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 04:50:54 am »

The first step in making it happen is believing it can happen. Doesn't mean it will happen, but if you don't believe it can happen then it won't.
I doubt any NFL players believe they can't make the playoffs (or can't win the SB).
I do think quite a few believe they won't.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray