Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:37:39 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Classic WoW
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Classic WoW  (Read 1944 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: August 14, 2019, 10:41:27 am »

So I've done it. I renewed my World of Warcraft subscription in preparation for Classic WoW which releases in 2 weeks. For those of you who may not know what I'm talking about, for years people have been begging Blizzard to rerelease WoW as it was in the beginning before any of the expansions (Vanilla WoW). They agreed to do it at Blizzcon 2017 and it's finally here.

The game will be exactly how it was in version 1.12 of the game which was right before the first expansion was released except for the graphics. The graphics will be the same as the current version of the game. Classic WoW is available for anyone with a current subscription to the game so there's no extra cost if you are already playing WoW.

If you decide to renew your subscription and haven't purchased some of the expansions note that you get all of the expansions except for the last one (Battle for Azeroth) included when you renew for free. That means you can play up to level 110 on the retail version of the game (the current max level is 120) just by renewing and can play Classic WoW up to level 60 as well. If you have been thinking about renewing your subscription to WoW, now is the right time to do it.

If you have a valid subscription you can download Classic WoW now and you can create up to 3 characters to reserve their name for when Classic WoW releases provided no one else has already reserved the names. Name reservations started yesterday.

You can read more about it at on Blizzard's website. Let me know if you plan to play and maybe we can play together. See you in Azeroth.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 10:45:03 am »

I still play WoW  .. i'm iffy on classic wow .. i played classic wow when it was regular wow.

There are some quality of life additions they made to 1.12 for classic wow it isn't a pure version of that.

I do remember it was fun. so there's that.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 02:40:32 pm »

There are some quality of life additions they made to 1.12 for classic wow it isn't a pure version of that.
Hmmm...I hadn't heard that. Do you know what they are? I was only aware of the graphics changes.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 03:13:40 pm »

1 - item comparison with shift
2 - move characters on select list
3 - autoloot without shift
4 - turning on/off addons inside game
5 - suggested invite
6 - flight path halfway stop
7 - unlocking and moving portraits
8 - mailing multiple items
9 - loot trading in raids
10 - see through menus
11 - cooldown numbers on buttons
12 - in game voice chat

and some others i'm not aware of
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 06:55:19 pm »

I've been playing Final Fantasy XI (the MMO that came out in 2003) on a free private server for the past few months.  FFXI retail is still up and running, but they started making some huge changes to the game around 2010, and this private server reverts them (for the most part; there are a few quality of life changes imported from current retail, just like Classic WoW).

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 02:01:36 pm »

I'm not into MMOs, but ELI5...why would you want this?  Nostalgia?

I don't really know the game structure.  Can you give me another example of what it would be like, in another genre or something?

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 02:35:31 pm »

ELI5 - old people think the old game was better before they ruined it with newfangled crap

ELI25 - stuff changes over time, stories are told .. an MMO is more of an ongoing playable story that progresses .. you may like an earlier chapter better .. or a newer chapter better but ultimately you're playing the story.

wow classic comes from an unofficial version of the pre-expansion game people were running on private servers .. as popularity grew blizzard shut them down and planned this classic version instead.

the difference between the games is pretty large .. it would be the like the difference between espn nfl 2k7 and madden 19  ..
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 02:36:16 pm »

It's not just nostalgia. World of Warcraft has changed considerably since it was first released and many people preferred the way it was originally over how it is now. In the beginning WoW was a VERY social game to play. Many guilds were formed and much of the content was geared towards grouping up so it was important to find people to play with. They had 5, 10 and 40 man dungeons and you needed specific roles to be played so you had to find people to play all the roles and that required a lot of coordination. If you didn't have that coordination, it was very hard to complete these events. But as WoW became more mainstream many people played the game that didn't want to spend as much time trying to find a group to play with so Blizzard made it easier to do this content by simply joining a queue and stating what role that you wanted to play and Blizzard would then assemble a group for you and put you into that dungeon together and you could go through and complete the content very easily with little to no interaction with the other members of your group so it's no longer much of a social game, it's more similar to playing a single player game. Classic WoW is going back to how it was in the beginning. We'll see how it goes over.

The other thing that I have heard but not really experienced myself as I quit playing WoW about 7 years ago is that it has become very alt unfriendly because there are a lot of daily types of things that you have to do.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:19:42 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 02:49:50 pm »

Slight Hijack - I'm not a gamer, I played pinballs and video games at the arcades back in the 70's and 80's, but never had an Atari or sega or any of that.  Anyways reading this made me think of an old computer game from the late 80's or perhaps early 90's called Leisure Suit Larry that I once played.  End Hijack.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 11:28:17 pm »

I loved Leisure Suit Larry.  I played several of them.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 12:14:28 pm »

So quick update on the state of WoW Classic. Just before launch there were about 10 servers for North America. Now I think there are a couple dozen. A streamer reached 300K followers on Twitch while streaming himself being the first person to hit max level. The end bosses were taken down less then a week after it's release. All told Classic WoW has been a huge success despite the fact that because of the popularity of the game there are some servers with long wait queues to get into the game.

How long it will last is another question. There was lots of speculation before the game was released that once players hit the level cap they would leave and return to retail WoW. Now that many people are starting to hit the level cap we should get an idea if that happens or not.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray