Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:00:25 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Anyone doing Disney+?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Anyone doing Disney+?  (Read 3312 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 02:11:31 pm »

Disney made a corporate decision to post the disclaimer, they aren't forced by anyone. If you are upset about the disclaimer look at Disney itself.
I can only speak for myself. I'm not offended they posted a disclaimer. I'm upset that they even felt the slightest need they had to because people get offended so easily. It's the same as the mattress tag, a chainsaw that says do not hold the wrong end of a chainsaw, a coat hanger that says do not swallow or any other stupid warning label people put out. Behind each and every warning disclaimer are some really stupid people. The snowflakes that get triggered by old movies needs therapy and not more labels IMO.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 02:39:30 pm »

I can only speak for myself. I'm not offended they posted a disclaimer. I'm upset that they even felt the slightest need they had to because people get offended so easily. It's the same as the mattress tag, a chainsaw that says do not hold the wrong end of a chainsaw, a coat hanger that says do not swallow or any other stupid warning label people put out. Behind each and every warning disclaimer are some really stupid people. The snowflakes that get triggered by old movies needs therapy and not more labels IMO.

One of my favorite memes along those lines is one that said:

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 04:36:21 pm »

i'm just gonna toss this up here:

https://www.livescience.com/33039-why-do-mattresses-have-do-not-remove-tags.html
During the late 1800s and early 1900s, government officials became concerned about the materials manufacturers were using to stuff mattresses. To cut costs, some manufacturers "recycled" old, used bedding materials and stuffed them into "new" mattresses. Therefore, the new mattresses were actually full of bacteria and sometimes even contained vermin or bug-infested stuffing.

"There was a particular fear that materials from old bedding, including bedding from hospitals, was being indiscriminately reused in new mattresses and thereby spreading such communicable diseases as smallpox and tuberculosis," historian Alan Axelrod writes in "America Out Loud."

To put an end to the unsanitary practice, federal and state regulators began requiring that all mattresses contain a tag listing the contents of the mattress and the materials used to make it. To make sure that manufacturers and retailers didn't try to remove the tags and sell the mattress as new if it contained recycled materials , the tags stated that they can't be removed under penalty of law.

#capitalism
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 04:53:06 pm »

Okay so......  if you are offended by Disney’s treatment of African Americans in Song of the South you are overly sensitive.  But honoring  Kunta Kinte is offensive and unamerican. 

Did I get that correct?

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 10:00:19 am »

The snowflakes that get triggered by old movies needs therapy and not more labels IMO.

Yet it appears you're triggered by a disclaimer because you, individually, can't see the need for it.  I think sometimes folks need to be careful tossing around the term "snowflake."  Everyone is triggered by something, some folks can accept it and some can't. I think the easiest thing to do is insult when things aren't understood, or disagreed.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 10:19:27 am »

Yet it appears you're triggered by a disclaimer because you, individually, can't see the need for it.  I think sometimes folks need to be careful tossing around the term "snowflake."  Everyone is triggered by something, some folks can accept it and some can't. I think the easiest thing to do is insult when things aren't understood, or disagreed.

I think you have a very liberal definition of "triggered". Me thinking it's wrong or stupid is far from going out of my way to protest and let Disney know I disagree to the extreme point I won't stop until they do things my way.

I do get triggered by things but it certainly isn't political correctness. I hate people speaking loudly on the phone or playing loud videos on their phone in restaurants, or parents who wont remove their screaming kid from an indoor public area, or parents who ignore their kids running around in restaurants or more recently ... a movie theater during the movie. LOL ... now that I write it out I guess it's rude people and lazy parents.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 10:21:05 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 11:12:08 am »

Perception is reality.  What you said is -

I can only speak for myself. I'm not offended they posted a disclaimer. I'm upset that they even felt the slightest need they had to because people get offended so easily.

You're upset.  At the end of the day a disclaimer, which has not bearing on your life and how you live it, upset you.  Now, far be it for me to tell you what to be upset with and what not to be upset with.  But I think it's ironic when people grandstand and call folks "snowflakes" on one hand but can't see a similar situation in the other.  I'm not calling you a snowflake, I actually think the use of the term is really, really stupid.  I feel, my opinion, tossing "snowflake" back and forth is conceding the inability to view things in any other way than your own, even if you disagree.   

I can see where someone would think a person upset by a disclaimer may have thin skin.

-Voltaire
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 11:59:45 am »

Maine ... are you seriously saying that you interpret "I'm upset that they even felt the slightest need they had to" as being overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with an opposing opinion? LMBO ... I'd say that's a huge stretch.

First off if I couldn't handle differing opinions I certainly would be on this page where I, as a conservative, am typically in the minority. As well ... if that were true then everyone who gets bothered by something would be a snowflake ... unable to deal with an opposing opinion ... and we certainly know that's not true. Not being able to have a differing opinion in the US is a rather new concept and is why the term "snowflake" has become so prevalent.

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 12:59:30 pm »

I feel the term "snowflake" is tossed around when folks can't handle an opinion or a tolerance outside of their own.  Because THEY don't like a certain item, or feel a specific subject should be tolerated in a different manner - someone else is a "snowflake."  I've seen it used in this manner on this board. 

Trust me, I understand what the idea of the word is supposed to be.  And if we want this to really spiral into something it shouldn't, I feel liberal / left leaning people can be some of the most intolerant people on the planet (while screaming for tolerance).  But I also think, again - my opinion - the majority of the time the term "snowflake" is used the person using it should put a mirror up and take a look.  And, they always refuse.  They'll just scream "snowflake" louder. 

I think earlier in this thread Dave provided a wonderful summary of why a disclaimer on items made in a previous time may be needed for things shown now, in today's culture, watched with today's eyes; created with minds of yesterday.  I'm failing to see where being culturally sensitive is being a "snowflake," or how it applies to a warning label of not using a hair dryer in the shower.  Maybe I'm dense.  Well, I know I am...but maybe more so on this subject.

-Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray