Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:43:28 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Anyone doing Disney+?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Anyone doing Disney+?  (Read 3401 times)
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« on: November 13, 2019, 03:49:22 pm »

We go it. Yea, it took a couple tries to download with all the traffic, but now that it's up and running, there is so much content...

Jumped straight into the Pixar shorts.. family digs those. I'll be starting The Mandolorian probably tonight.

Anyone else checking this out?

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 04:48:39 pm »

I got it.

I watched the Mandalorian and the Disney Imagineer first episode.  And then my girls dabbled in some shorts, some shows the know, and I put on some older stuff too.

I really hope my kids latch on to the back-log of live-action TV from the old Disney channel days.  I think that will provide a lot of content if they dig it.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 08:45:57 am »

I signed up for the Disney+ package with Hulu/ESPN...looking forward to watching the new Mandalorian show.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 10:06:44 am »

You guys be careful! Some of that older Disney stuff has "culturally sensitive content". LMAO ... this world is just crazy to me. They banned Song of the South a long time ago so apparently it doesn't take much these days.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 12:42:32 pm »

I signed up for the Disney+ package with Hulu/ESPN...looking forward to watching the new Mandalorian show.

So did I.   $12.99 a month is a very good deal.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 01:26:49 pm »

They banned Song of the South a long time ago so apparently it doesn't take much these days.

Don't you think that's a little hyperbolic?  Nobody BANNED it.  They just don't sell it anymore.  It's their own choice.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 01:33:56 pm »

Fair enough but they did release it in Europe. Either way they do not allow American audiences see it any longer because people here complained. Some of us had to purchase a bootleg copy from Europe just to show our kids this classic movie. I'm sure it won't be much longer before Dumbo and others are cast aside here as well.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 02:54:29 pm »

I'm sure it won't be much longer before Dumbo and others are cast aside here as well.

Good point...flying elephants are so fucking sensitive these days.

Undecided

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 02:59:59 pm »

Undecided

Disney+ is now home to classic movies like Peter Pan, Dumbo, and Lady and the Tramp — all of which now come with a disclaimer that they “may contain outdated cultural depictions.”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/debanjalibose/disney-disclaimer-racism-popular-movies

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 03:18:39 pm »

Disney+ is now home to classic movies like Peter Pan, Dumbo, and Lady and the Tramp — all of which now come with a disclaimer that they “may contain outdated cultural depictions.”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/debanjalibose/disney-disclaimer-racism-popular-movies

Sad that they have to post that disclaimer because certain types of people could be offended.   The LSU running back had a helluva performance against Alabama and someone got offended by him hugging his dad after the game.  Everyone gets offended over something these days.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 12:18:50 am »

Disney made a corporate decision to post the disclaimer, they aren't forced by anyone. If you are upset about the disclaimer look at Disney itself.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 12:34:46 pm »

It's also not because people are offended.  That's a copout.

Movies that are old like that require that they be seen in a different context.  Peter Pan's treatment of Native Americans can't fly by today's standards and today's culture, so it's helpful to have those things exist within the context that they were created.

And even with Song of the South, it's not like people all of a sudden think it's a misrepresentation of slavery and stereotypes.  There were protests against that movie in the 40s, but black people didn't exactly have a lot of clout back then.

I'm not a prude when it comes to racist content.  In fact, I think that hiding and censoring only hurts the discussion and it's important that we recognize these things and learn from them.  But you have to do so within the context.  I watched Birth of a Nation, and I can't watch it earnestly as a film where the KKK are the heroes.  You have to now watch it as a historical piece. 

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 12:58:01 pm »

I agree with Dave.

The movies were racist when they were made, Walt Disney was racist and Nazi supporter. He used his movie house to propagate stereotypes.   

The fact that the movies were acceptable at the time only proves how willing society was to accept racism as ok. 

Not unlike the team name for Washington, it was racist in 1938, it is not a new. thing.

If YOU bemoan the loss of the “Song of the South” you are basically saying you want to go back to the age and values of the Jim Crow era  and a racist society were it is generally accepted negros are inferior and do not deserve equal treatment. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 03:27:23 pm »

Undecided

Shaggy used to see flying elephants in the Mystery Machine with Scooby-Doo.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 10:05:56 am »

It's free for a year if you have Verizon.  So, easy choice.  I would have anyway but it's a nice perk.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray