Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:14:41 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  One year in, what do you think of pass interference replay?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: One year in, what do you think of pass interference replay?  (Read 1520 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: December 31, 2019, 05:01:37 pm »

Now that we have wrapped up the first season in which instant replay has been used for pass interference, what do you think of it?

My opinion is that it has been a good thing.  I think PI is the most game-changing penalty in the NFL, so there must be some type of replay system.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 06:01:32 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 12:17:38 pm »

No opinion since I've hardly watched any NFL games this year.

On a side note, when I've wanted to watch NFL games on Thursdays & Mondays I haven't been able to since I cut the Satellite cord last January and no longer get ESPN or NFL Network, or whatever channel those games happen to be on.  I'm sure I could find a cheap way (or free way) to get the games, but I haven't found it worth the effort.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 12:40:00 pm »

Good question.

I guess I'm OK with it.  I don't love it, but I guess it's better than egregious missed calls.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 12:46:48 pm »

Needs more seasoning. They shouldn't get rid of it, but they need to continue to work on getting it right. Give it time, I think it will be fine. What I didn't see is all the worry that this was opening a huge can of worms. That didn't pan out and I don't see it panning out either, I see it getting better and better as time goes on and it's just another accepted change to the rules.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 02:26:05 pm »

Maybe make it a damaging but not game changing penalty.  Like in college, make it 15 yards or a spot foul (whichever is less) plus an automatic first down. 

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 03:38:09 pm »

I think the coming decade will see a gradual shift towards "remote referee assistance", where NY basically tells the refs what the correct call is on a given play. It won't be for all plays and the goal will likely be to make it as invisible to viewers as possible. One obvious thing would be an automated system to determine ball spots.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 03:44:07 pm »

I think the coming decade will see a gradual shift towards "remote referee assistance", where NY basically tells the refs what the correct call is on a given play. It won't be for all plays and the goal will likely be to make it as invisible to viewers as possible. One obvious thing would be an automated system to determine ball spots.

Either that or have one guy at the stadium up in the box with all the camera angles at his disposal.  Also a chip in the ball that can sense if it crossed the goal line/went out of bounds would be nice.     

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 03:50:01 pm »

I'm in favor of it. The length of the reviews doesn't bother me because it can literally decide games like it did with us and the Jets. Besides, everyone at home knows within 5 seconds whether or not the call was right, the refs just drag it out for 5 minutes so they can pretend it was a tough call instead of them missing it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 03:54:05 pm »

Like some others are saying, I think that pass interference might need 2 levels of penalty....like running into vs. roughing the kicker.

On what's essentially a minor hold to the flat gives you 15 yards and a 1st down...too much.  Where you can pretty much tackle a guy that has a sure-fire TD and it's the same thing.  Awarding a first down and 15 yards to something that you had to slow down, maybe it's too much.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray