Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:22:33 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Wildcard weekend
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Wildcard weekend  (Read 5311 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 12:29:05 pm »

I recall a Steelers fan emailing me a joke in Feb 2002 about a blizzard in hell.    They insisted that the AFCCG was pure luck and that was Brady’s first and last trip to the SB.  The teams mediocre performance in 2002 affirmed that view until it didn’t in 03 & 04.  Of course many were also certain Pollard ended the era. 

Brady may or may not return, the driving factor won’t be money but if NE offers him a long enough contract and signs a few WR in FA first.  However #1 defense in the league will along with the all time greatest coach will be returning.

I am not saying the 2020s is going to yield 3 SB wins like the prior decades, but NE is more than capable of adding to its consecutive division winning record again next year even without Brady. 
Heard them talking on the radio this morning saying that if Brady returns to New England it might be Belichick moving on. Not sure where that came from. What's your take on that? It's probably just talk in Dallas because they hadn't yet hired McCarthy and there was speculation they could be waiting to talk to Belichick for the Dallas job. I thought that was laughable so maybe the whole Belichick not coming back to New England is also laugable, but what do I know.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2020, 12:48:27 pm »

Heard them talking on the radio this morning saying that if Brady returns to New England it might be Belichick moving on. Not sure where that came from. What's your take on that? It's probably just talk in Dallas because they hadn't yet hired McCarthy and there was speculation they could be waiting to talk to Belichick for the Dallas job. I thought that was laughable so maybe the whole Belichick not coming back to New England is also laugable, but what do I know.

Fans of 31 teams would love to have BB as their head coach and plenty of fans would love to get Brady so some of that could be wishful thinking. 

Belichick last extended his contract in 2017 but it was never disclosed for how long.  I doubt it was a three year “prove it” deal, so odds are he is still under contract.

I can’t imagine Kraft firing BB.  And why would BB prefer to work for a medaling owner like JJ over Kraft who gives him complete control? If BB goes elsewhere it will be a team without dysfunctional ownership.   So Giants (a team he is nostalgic for) would be more likely than Cowboys or Redskins. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 04:16:33 pm »

Fans of 31 teams would love to have BB as their head coach and plenty of fans would love to get Brady so some of that could be wishful thinking.  

Belichick last extended his contract in 2017 but it was never disclosed for how long.  I doubt it was a three year “prove it” deal, so odds are he is still under contract.

I can’t imagine Kraft firing BB.  And why would BB prefer to work for a medaling owner like JJ over Kraft who gives him complete control? If BB goes elsewhere it will be a team without dysfunctional ownership.   So Giants (a team he is nostalgic for) would be more likely than Cowboys or Redskins.  

Apparently Bill Belichick talked with Jerry after he was fired from Cleveland and told Jerry that he would be willing to work for him then (although the Cowboys were not looking for a head coach at the time). Course that was a long time ago and things have changed, but it was only speculation anyway. For the record I agree it was wishful thinking but just the fact they were talking about it was surprise to me. Didn't think Belichick leaving New England was even being considered by anyone.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:19:49 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 04:36:54 pm »

Apparently Bill Belichick talked with Jerry after he was fired from Cleveland and told Jerry that he would be willing to work for him then (although the Cowboys were not looking for a head coach at the time). Course that was a long time ago and things have changed, but it was only speculation anyway. For the record I agree it was wishful thinking but just the fact they were talking about it was surprise to me. Didn't think Belichick leaving New England was even being considered by anyone.

Belichick was a bit more desperate for a job a the time than he is now.  Belichick could literally have any job in the NFL.  Hypothetically if Kraft was to release BB this afternoon, I bet BB could call up Steve Bisciotti and say, "I know you like John and all but ever since I was a kid growing up in Annapolis I have always wanted to coach in Baltimore" and be coaching this weekend.   Okay maybe not this weekend.  But plenty of owners would fire there head coach to give BB an opening, he doesn't have to work for a meddling owner. 

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2020, 05:33:03 pm »

You've gone too far over the top, Hoodie.  BAL is probably the single team least likely to fire their coach for BB (given JH's age).

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2020, 05:35:29 pm »

You've gone too far over the top, Hoodie.  BAL is probably the single team least likely to fire their coach for BB (given JH's age).

Baltimore is probably one of a handful he couldn't get.  But he would not have trouble picking a team, even one with a "safe" coach.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2020, 06:30:12 pm »

Nobody had Vikings.

I drink your milkshake!
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2020, 06:56:07 pm »

Nobody had Vikings.
Surprised the heck out of me.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 07:53:49 pm »

Surprised the heck out of me.

Surprised the heck out of a lot of people.   That defense stymied Drew Brees and Co for three quarters.   If they can do that against San Francisco, they have a shot of playing for the NFC Title.  And Jimmy G isn't yet close to Drew Brees

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray