Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:37:36 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  HoF
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: HoF  (Read 4188 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

HoF
« on: January 02, 2020, 07:03:33 pm »

The 2020 Modern-Era Player Finalists with their positions, years and teams:

•Steve Atwater, Safety – 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets

•Tony Boselli, Tackle – 1995-2001 Jacksonville Jaguars

•Isaac Bruce, Wide Receiver – 1994-2007 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 2008-09 San Francisco 49ers

•LeRoy Butler, Safety – 1990-2001 Green Bay Packers

•Alan Faneca, Guard – 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals

•Torry Holt, Wide Receiver – 1999-2008 St. Louis Rams, 2009 Jacksonville Jaguars

•Steve Hutchinson, Guard – 2001-05 Seattle Seahawks, 2006-2011 Minnesota Vikings, 2012 Tennessee Titans

•Edgerrin James, Running Back – 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks

•John Lynch, Free Safety – 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos

•Sam Mills, Linebacker – 1986-1994 New Orleans Saints, 1995-97 Carolina Panthers

•Troy Polamalu, Safety – 2003-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers

•Richard Seymour, Defensive End/Defensive Tackle – 2001-08 New England Patriots, 2009-2012 Oakland Raiders

•Zach Thomas, Linebacker – 1996-2007 Miami Dolphins, 2008 Dallas Cowboys

•Reggie Wayne, Wide Receiver – 2001-2014 Indianapolis Colts

•Bryant Young, Defensive Tackle – 1994-2007 San Francisco 49ers

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/02/zach-thomas-sam-mills-leroy-butler-are-hall-of-fame-finalists-for-first-time/

I am sure Zach will garner the most interest on this site of the list.  I don't think he get in.  My 5 are Bruce, James, Wayne, Seymour &  Polamalu

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 12:52:01 pm »

I still love this quote from Kevin Mawae's HOF enshrinement ....

“Zach Thomas was my nemesis,” Mawae said about three-quarters into his 27-minute Hall of Fame speech. “My first year with the Jets before my first game we played against each other, (Coach) Bill Parcells told me in front of my entire team, ‘If you don’t block Thomas, we won’t win the game,’ and for the next 16 matchups I never forgot that.

“Zach was one of, if not the smartest player I ever faced. He loved the game, had fun when he played and brought the best out of me. When people ask me who’s not in the Hall of Fame and that I think should be here, it’s an easy one for me: number 54 from the Miami Dolphins.”

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 12:57:27 pm »

I'm convinced Hoodie is here to low key troll Dolphins fans all the time.  Thomas deserves to get in over any of your 5 HoF picks, especially Seymour.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 01:20:18 pm »

I'm convinced Hoodie is here to low key troll Dolphins fans all the time.  Thomas deserves to get in over any of your 5 HoF picks, especially Seymour.

My take on Zack: The second best defensive player on a team that accomplished nothing is not HoF material.  You can get in being the best player on a shitty team.  (Jason Taylor) You can get in being the second or third player on a dominant unit.  (multiple players from the Steeler in the 70s) But if you are neither on a dominant unit nor the best player on that unit, than no.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 01:26:37 pm »

My take on Zack: The second best defensive player on a team that accomplished nothing is not HoF material.  You can get in being the best player on a shitty team.  (Jason Taylor) You can get in being the second or third player on a dominant unit.  (multiple players from the Steeler in the 70s) But if you are neither on a dominant unit nor the best player on that unit, than no.
Blah, blah, and blah. The Dolphins defense finished in the top 10 in fewest yards allowed an impressive seven consecutive seasons (1998-2004). Five times during Thomas’ career, the Dolphins were in the top five.

NFL.com writer Adam Rank ranked the 25 semifinalists and put Thomas at number 4, behind only former Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, former Broncos safety Steve Atwater and former 49ers inside linebacker Patrick Willis.

This is what Rank wrote about Thomas: “I mentioned this last year, but Thomas has been overlooked for way too long. He was a five-time first-team All-Pro — and made the second team twice, as well. The 2000s were loaded with standout inside linebackers, including Hall of Famers Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher. But Thomas fits in nicely with them. Like when Curt Hennig joined the nWo.”

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 01:46:04 pm »

Zach has been a tough choice. He isn't getting in this time and I'm not sure he will  ever.  Tough to know what the voters think.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 01:50:48 pm »

Blah, blah, and blah. The Dolphins defense finished in the top 10 in fewest yards allowed an impressive seven consecutive seasons (1998-2004). Five times during Thomas’ career, the Dolphins were in the top five.

NFL.com writer Adam Rank ranked the 25 semifinalists and put Thomas at number 4, behind only former Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, former Broncos safety Steve Atwater and former 49ers inside linebacker Patrick Willis.

This is what Rank wrote about Thomas: “I mentioned this last year, but Thomas has been overlooked for way too long. He was a five-time first-team All-Pro — and made the second team twice, as well. The 2000s were loaded with standout inside linebackers, including Hall of Famers Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher. But Thomas fits in nicely with them. Like when Curt Hennig joined the nWo.”
That's a great quote, but I have to be "that guy" and say Derrick Brooks was a weak outside linebacker, not inside linebacker.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 01:55:00 pm »

My take on Zack: The second best defensive player on a team that accomplished nothing is not HoF material.  You can get in being the best player on a shitty team.  (Jason Taylor) You can get in being the second or third player on a dominant unit.  (multiple players from the Steeler in the 70s) But if you are neither on a dominant unit nor the best player on that unit, than no.
My take on Seymour:  A good, not great defensive lineman with pedestrian numbers on a team that won three Superbowls, giving the illusion he was better than he really was.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 01:57:05 pm »

My take on Zack: The second best defensive player on a team that accomplished nothing is not HoF material.  You can get in being the best player on a shitty team.  (Jason Taylor) You can get in being the second or third player on a dominant unit.  (multiple players from the Steeler in the 70s) But if you are neither on a dominant unit nor the best player on that unit, than no.

Could you please point out where it says that in the HoF voting guidelines (or anywhere else)? Because it sounds like you pulled that out of the southern end of a northbound mule.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 03:05:30 pm »

My take on Seymour:  A good, not great defensive lineman with pedestrian numbers on a team that won three Superbowls, giving the illusion he was better than he really was.

So a squad that never made it to a single AFCCG deserves to be better represented in the HoF than one that won 3 out of 4 superbowls.  Sure. 

It is the hall of FAME!

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 03:18:28 pm »

So a squad that never made it to a single AFCCG deserves to be better represented in the HoF than one that won 3 out of 4 superbowls.  Sure.  

It is the hall of FAME!
He was a good player on a great team (Seymour) instead of a great player on a good team (Thomas).  Great players should be in the HoF, not good players.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 03:26:15 pm »

He was a good player on a great team (Seymour) instead of a great player on a good team (Thomas).  Great players should be in the HoF, not good players.

In order to have a great team you need some great players.  3x super bowl champs should have more representation than a team that couldn’t advance deep to a championship game.

JT was the heart and soul of an above average defense that accomplished nothing. ZT played a supporting role in an above average defense that accomplished nothing.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 03:38:05 pm »

That Dolphins defense was better than any Patriots defense ever.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 07:25:29 pm »

I'm going to agree with Hoodie on this one.  I don't see Zach making it in to the HOF as the second-best player on an above-average defense.

Let's establish a foundation, first: the JJ/Wanny Dolphins accomplished nothing of significance.  I mean, think of Lovie Smith's Bears teams, and the esteem you have for them.  Now take it down a couple of rungs (from a team that at least made a Super Bowl) and you have the JJ/Wanny Dolphins.  Of current era teams, they would be equivalent to like, Marvin Lewis's Bengals.  Nobody outside of Dolphins fans remembers or cares about those teams.

Now, specifically as to the defense of those teams:  I have some numbers for you.  We all know what they are.

38-3
62-7
27-0
20-3

This is how those teams exited the playoffs.  Of those four losses, only the first was to a champion (or even conference champion).  Those are not the performances of a legendary defense.  Those are repeated humiliations on a national stage, in four consecutive years.  (And yes, I acknowledge that the other side of the ball also played terribly.) Do we even need to discuss the last game of the 2002 season, when the Dolphins had an 11-point lead with 5 minutes remaining and the division on the line?  I think not.

JT had a DPOY.  That means something.  Zach did not.  At no point in his career was Zach considered the best player at his position, and I would argue that for his entire career, he was never considered any better than #3 (behind some combination of Seau, R.Lewis, and Urlacher).

Zach is a great player and one of the all-time greatest Dolphins.  He deserves a spot in the Dolphins Honor Roll right next to his brother-in-law.  But I just don't think he's going to get in to the HOF.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 07:31:11 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 09:47:07 pm »

There are going to be some hard luck stories this year - looking over the list, dare I say there's a chance it won't be a full quota picked this time:

I reckon Polamalu will be an automatic selection - Atwater and Lynch should already be in the HOF but I can't see them selecting another safety. Isaac Bruce should get in, and I would love to see Sam Mills added who was an absolute beast with the Saints & Panthers.  After that I'm struggling, ummm, maybe Seymore, then Fanceca or Hutchinson...

Some of the Semifinalists that missed out though, wow I am very surprised!

Carl Banks, Ronde Barber, Steve Tasker, Clay Matthews Jr, Darren Woodson, Patrick Willis - I would put these guys in ahead of most of the others who are still in the race.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/troy-polamalu-headlines-the-2020-hall-of-fame-modern-era-finalists-patrick-willis-among-notable-snubs/

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:50:27 pm by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray