Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:02:08 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What is the benefit of remaining one country?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: What is the benefit of remaining one country?  (Read 8500 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 12:34:43 pm »

I think that there's another thing at play here:  city mouse vs. country mouse.

Not all cases, but in general, those who seek city living -- technology, culture, people, a faster-paced life -- generally going to lean more liberal.  If you want to move to NY City, cram into a subway, go to museums, be in the heart of the cultural melting-pot with lots of different kinds of people -- probably you're likelier to have more liberal values.

And if you're looking for a slower-paced life with neighbors that live far away, small town vibe, lots of space, hunting/fishing -- and you want to move to somewhere that has that, as well as people who look/think/align to you -- you're likely to be more conservative-thinking.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 08:30:20 pm »

The annual migration of senior citizens from the blue states of NY & NJ to the red states of Florida and AZ is not politically driven.  It is weather driven.  Tangentially state income tax could be considered a political issue, but don’t pretend people are leaving Mass for North Carolina because of their aggressive stance against transsexuals.

True, weather is certainly a reason for people exiting NYS.  But over the past 10 years the population of upstate NY has DECREASED, and that's not all weather related.  Upstate NY has a higher percentage of republicans vs. democrats, and many are fed up with high taxes and our extremely liberal governor, and therefore have chosen to leave the state.  Not to mention the continuing ongoing loss of manufacturing jobs over the last couple decades.  I've lived in upstate NY my whole life and I've never seen so many people leaving, or wanting to leave, because of the extreme liberal policies enacting by our governor.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2020, 08:38:30 pm »

But they are much closer together in ideas and conversations can return. The problem with today's politics is its really Bernie/AOC vs people like Trump. The moderates don't even get the slightest say in anything. It's one extreme or the other so there is no conversations going on. That can't be good for any of us in the long run. Eventually blood is going to get spilled.
As fyo explained, all you have to do is look at internal party politics to understand that this is not the case.  The Tea Party types despise the Republican establishment and did everything they could to defeat them, and the Berniecrats hate Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi more than they hate Trump.

The same battles will exist, just with the lines drawn in different places.

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2020, 09:54:44 am »

And the civil war wasn’t individuals picking up muskets.  In the 1800s each army unit was from a particular state.  Todays army is made up of units of people from various states.  The reason why soldiers today don’t stay in the same unit or base for more than a few years is so their loyalty will remain with the USA rather than a particular unit, base or commander.  The only units that this doesn’t apply to is the National Guard.

As an 18 year veteran I never would have known any of this.  Thanks for the history lesson.
Wink

"Muskets" was a play on words, thanks for being literal in the analogy though.  If you would like to be precise it would be virtually impossible for the citizens to rise up the way they speak of, and the way the 2nd amendment is propped up.  Better?

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2020, 10:31:44 am »

As an 18 year veteran I never would have known any of this.  Thanks for the history lesson.
Wink

"Muskets" was a play on words, thanks for being literal in the analogy though.  If you would like to be precise it would be virtually impossible for the citizens to rise up the way they speak of, and the way the 2nd amendment is propped up.  Better?

Lecture from a visiting historian in college.   

Point is that the Civil War wasn't the equivalent of a bunch of yahoos with AR-15s.  Private firearm ownership (2nd amendment) wasn't what allowed the Civil War to occur.  The reason why Lee even had an army to command was there existed an Army of Northern Virginia made up of people from Virginia whose first loyalty was the STATE of  Virginia not the USA.  That doesn't exist anymore.  Today, the units based in Virginia are made up of people from all 50 states. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2020, 01:55:05 pm »

They had units from all over. It was named for the region,  ot because they were all from  Virginia.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2020, 05:11:25 pm »

Virginia is going to be the test subject for this whole Civil War thing. That governor has gone crazy against gun owners. Supposedly he's even lied to create a "State of Emergency" to have guns banned from a pro gun rally. This is getting interesting.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2020, 06:25:23 pm »

Virginia is going to be the test subject for this whole Civil War thing. That governor has gone crazy against gun owners. Supposedly he's even lied to create a "State of Emergency" to have guns banned from a pro gun rally. This is getting interesting.

Saw an article that armed militants were advancing on the State Capitol building and the Governor's Mansion.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2020, 08:51:55 pm »

I do not understand how gun advocates get all worked up about guns being banned from political rallies or sporting events, yet seem to have no problem with guns being banned from banks, or courtrooms, or meetings of the legislature.  I thought guns in the hands of every unlicensed, unvetted rando is supposed to make everyone safer?  Isn't a bank more secure if every person walking in off the street has an Uzi?

I certainly don't have a degree in history, but I can definitely tell you this: if there is another civil war and the National Guard is called in, they aren't going to be turned away with freaking handguns.  Ask any Palestinian: rockets beat bullets.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 08:55:54 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2020, 09:13:18 am »

I love that "Crazy against gun owners" line. I'm picturing some frazzled dude in a bathrobe, running down the street screaming "Give me your guns!!"

The reality is a little more mundane, however. Democrats in that state now finally control the house, the senate and the Governor's office, and a senate committee just advanced four pieces of legislation for the full Senate to vote on. Those four pieces of legislation would do the following:

1) Require background checks on all firearms purchases
2) Allow law enforcement to temporarily remove guns from individuals deemed a risk to themselves or others.
3) Allow localities ban weapons from certain events and government buildings
4) Limit handgun purchases to one per month.

Yeah, that's just crazy stuff there. How in the world will those poor Virginians ever be able to stockpile thousands of guns with a Democrat in office?   Shocked   Roll Eyes   Shocked   Roll Eyes

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2020, 09:29:22 am »

I love that "Crazy against gun owners" line. I'm picturing some frazzled dude in a bathrobe, running down the street screaming "Give me your guns!!"

The reality is a little more mundane, however. Democrats in that state now finally control the house, the senate and the Governor's office, and a senate committee just advanced four pieces of legislation for the full Senate to vote on. Those four pieces of legislation would do the following:

1) Require background checks on all firearms purchases
2) Allow law enforcement to temporarily remove guns from individuals deemed a risk to themselves or others.
3) Allow localities ban weapons from certain events and government buildings
4) Limit handgun purchases to one per month.

Yeah, that's just crazy stuff there. How in the world will those poor Virginians ever be able to stockpile thousands of guns with a Democrat in office?   Shocked   Roll Eyes   Shocked   Roll Eyes

Not that simple but I'm pretty sure you know that.
They recently pulled the AR -15 ban they proposed (although have already said it would come back) and the governor lied to create a State of Emergency. Not as innocent as you would pretend. 

1 basically requires you to register every gun purchase just like Nazi Germany. 2 allows for the govt to remove guns from anyone at any time. It's already happened to an innocent vet who was talking about his concerns at school where his daughter teaches. The waitress said he was talking about shooting up the school. The gov already lied to declare a SOE so it's logical to think he would do that on a larger scale. 4 That's just silly for so many reasons.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2020, 09:32:27 am »

I do not understand how gun advocates get all worked up about guns being banned from political rallies or sporting events, yet seem to have no problem with guns being banned from banks, or courtrooms, or meetings of the legislature.  I thought guns in the hands of every unlicensed, unvetted rando is supposed to make everyone safer?  Isn't a bank more secure if every person walking in off the street has an Uzi?

I certainly don't have a degree in history, but I can definitely tell you this: if there is another civil war and the National Guard is called in, they aren't going to be turned away with freaking handguns.  Ask any Palestinian: rockets beat bullets.
2 things .... 1 I agree with you and have said numerous times no one would rob a bank or anywhere else if everyone had a gun. 2 The national Guard will not attack it's own people in this day and age of America. Sheriffs in Va have already said they would deputize everyone in their county if a gun ban happens. Hell ... liberals have numerous laws they refuse to enforce so it's not like this is a new thing.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2020, 10:11:15 am »

1 basically requires you to register every gun purchase just like Nazi Germany. 2 allows for the govt to remove guns from anyone at any time.

I swear, if they passed a "no jaywalking" law, you'd be up here screaming that those damned liberals don't want anyone crossing the street.  I do like the "like Nazi Germany" bit though...all it needed was some really dramatic "dunh-dunh-DUNH!" music in the background to make it perfect.

The gov already lied to declare a SOE so it's logical to think he would do that on a larger scale.

Not logical at all...but maybe he was just taking a cue from the President on that strategy?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2020, 10:36:12 am »

I swear, if they passed a "no jaywalking" law, you'd be up here screaming that those damned liberals don't want anyone crossing the street. 
Not at all. I have a huge history of installing mid block crosswalks and very much encourage people to use them as pedestrian deaths in this state are very unacceptable and trending in the wrong direction.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2020, 11:52:13 am »

Not at all. I have a huge history of installing mid block crosswalks and very much encourage people to use them as pedestrian deaths in this state are very unacceptable and trending in the wrong direction.

People still wouldn't use it, I regularly  see people just crossing 6 lanes of traffic instead of using the crosswalk that is 20 yards away.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray