Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:49:45 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Wastes of money.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Wastes of money.  (Read 3520 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: July 15, 2020, 12:27:22 pm »

Reddit had a thread about this today, and I thought I'd ask it here.

What do you see people do that you think is a big waste of money?

For me, it's Fireworks.  I just can't bring myself to spend money on that.  They're relatively dangerous, they're expensive, and they're over quickly.  They're a mess to clean up. 

It's just the closest thing you can get to literally lighting your money on fire without actually doing it.

----

To a lesser extent, bottled water.  It's wasteful.  It's money for something you can get for free.  Sometimes, in a pinch, I'll buy one just to get the bottle, but it's very rare.  My wife will pick up some once in a while for hurricanes (which end up not coming) and then I feel like I dingus when I drink it.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 12:57:54 pm »

I am with you on the fireworks...waste of money, makes a ridiculous amount of noise...useless.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 01:06:23 pm »

Gym membership, exercise can easily be done for free.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 01:41:02 pm »

Any sort of virtual currency that has no value.  Reddit coins, bits for Twitch, microtransactions for mobile and video games.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 02:11:20 pm »

Any sort of virtual currency that has no value.  Reddit coins, bits for Twitch, microtransactions for mobile and video games.

Interesting.

The only thing that I buy that would fall under this is that occasionally, I will buy V-bucks (the Fortnite currency), which I then use to purchase in-game challenges and expansions and stuff.  I just consider that a cost to play, enjoy, and support a game.  You can't "do" anything with the money though, outside of that environment.

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 02:11:58 pm »

Have to agree with the fireworks, although I always cave to the kids. We don't spend much, though.

In-game purchases of any kind, especially on lootbox style crap (which should be classified as something like gambling, IMHO).
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 02:34:57 pm »

I agree with the majority here.  Fireworks and in game purchases on your phone.  Although the latter could be attributed to playing games at the video arcade back in the days.  

Another waste for me is K-Cups.  They're more expensive than traditional ground coffee and don't last long.  I have my own at home mesh K-cup contraptions that fit in the Keurig coffeemaker.  I fill them with coffee grounds and they will last for at least 3 cups of coffee if done back to back to back.  

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 02:38:23 pm »

The lottery. I have a brother in law that spends $100 a day on the lottery and he's slowly giving away millions of dollars of inheritence that his dad earned in the Oil industry.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 02:38:42 pm »

I am not immune to this one, but drinking at bars....depending.

I understand that there is a premium to having a beer served to you vs. having a beer at home.

But certain things (like shots) and hard drinking...it's crazy.  A $15 cocktail chaps my ass.  I don't really fall into this anymore, except the very occasional fancy night out with my wife at a play or something.  ...or when I'm on vacation or a sporting event where I just say "fuck it" because I need the drink to enjoy the social aspect.

I'm past the point in my life where I'm going to for stuff like that, but when I used to go out with friends and have a $50 bar tab because I picked up a round...that sucked.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 04:46:48 pm »

A lot of you guys seem to think entertainment is a waste of money.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 09:26:56 pm »

$50 bar tab is light for me. I barely drink at home. That just seems sad to me unless I am around other people.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 11:44:22 pm »

I understand that there is a premium to having a beer served to you vs. having a beer at home.

But certain things (like shots) and hard drinking...it's crazy.  A $15 cocktail chaps my ass.  I don't really fall into this anymore, except the very occasional fancy night out with my wife at a play or something.  ...or when I'm on vacation or a sporting event where I just say "fuck it" because I need the drink to enjoy the social aspect.

I'm past the point in my life where I'm going to for stuff like that, but when I used to go out with friends and have a $50 bar tab because I picked up a round...that sucked.

I'm with you on this one.  You pay $7 to $9 for a six pack at the grocery store as opposed to $4 to $6 for one single beer at a bar.  I used to like going to happy hour with friends after work when I was in my 20s but it doesn't have the appeal it once did.  I don't really drink that much to begin with although I do keep liquor stocked in my house in case a friend comes over. 

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 09:17:46 am »

i'm not a fan of bar drinking .. but i do like going to breweries and getting the stuff they don't put into cans and sell in the supermarket
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 09:53:11 am »

I rarely drink at bars.  But when I lived outside of NE I always found it less expensive to go to a sports bar than pay for NFL ticket and buy beer for home.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 11:54:24 am »

I rarely drink at bars.  But when I lived outside of NE I always found it less expensive to go to a sports bar than pay for NFL ticket and buy beer for home.

Hoodie, if you live in Massachusetts, maybe you can answer a question for me.   One of my co-workers is from Boston and tells me that happy hours in the state of Massachusetts are illegal.   So are drinks in bars expensive all the time or cheap all the time?  Or both depending on which bar you visit?

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray