Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:53:39 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Playoff thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print
Author Topic: Playoff thread  (Read 15242 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #180 on: December 29, 2020, 08:28:39 pm »

I just can't grasp anyone not wishing their team to make the playoffs.

There were lots of times that I was sick of the 7-9 or 9-7 purgatory and thought that losing big in the Wild Card round was meaningless, but this isn't one of those seasons. We are clearly a team on the rise and the playoffs would be amazing. Even 10-6 and missing the playoffs is a great turnaround season for us.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #181 on: December 29, 2020, 09:05:28 pm »

I just can't grasp anyone not wishing their team to make the playoffs.
20 Years ago I would have agreed with you. Then I saw Jacksonville Destroy the Dolphins in 2000, Marino's last game of his career and had to see my hero walk off the field under those circumstances, humiliated. Then I saw them lose 27-9 in 2008 because they were a flawed team and really didn't belong in the playoffs. 30-12 in 2016 again because they were not a playoff caliber team. In my humble opinion Miami is not ready for the playoffs this year. If they were healthy, I would feel differently, but they are not, not even close really. Now maybe they get healthier in the next week and a half, but I'm not optimistic. If they get Parker back and perhaps Preston Williams too (where is he?) that would change everything. It's easy to think that you always want your team to be in the playoffs but after you see them get routed in the playoffs when you know going into the game that's a real possibility it becomes harder to swallow each time it happens. I get it. It sounds horrible and I'm not saying that I DON'T want them to make the playoffs, I'm saying that the reality is I don't think they have much chance of doing much in the playoffs and so not making the playoffs THIS YEAR won't be the end of the world to me. I'll deal with it either way. If the Dolphins happen to play great this weekend and beat Buffalo then I'll be extremely happy and much more optimistic about their chances in the playoffs, but right now I can't even imagine that. On the other hand if they get ripped by Buffalo and then somehow back into the playoffs because someone else loses, I won't feel good about that. Right now I'd rather wish that next year Miami is in a much better position to not just make the playoffs but challenge for the AFCE championship and perhaps a shot at a home playoff game and maybe the SuperBowl then. I was a teenager when I first started to root for the Dolphins in the mid to late 70's. I came on board too late to see those great teams of the early 70's. Everything was blue skies and butterflies back then. I wished for the Dolphins to be in the Superbowl every year, not the playoffs because back then the playoffs were a given. Now I'm 57. I'm too old to wish for the playoffs. I want something more. I want to wish for a Superbowl. I want to wish that because the playoffs are a given. That's where my mind is right now. Sorry to say that, but it's the truth.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 10:14:26 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #182 on: December 29, 2020, 09:43:49 pm »

I will be very disappointed if they don't make the playoffs.

I do not share the belief that they are on the upswing.  Football does not work that way.  There is too much fluidity.

If they make the playoffs, I will be thrilled and consider this season a success.

If they don't, I will consider this season worse than last year.  Last year we had the joy of watching them dismantle the dynasty.           

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2020, 04:32:20 am »

I will be very disappointed if they don't make the playoffs.

I do not share the belief that they are on the upswing.  Football does not work that way.  There is too much fluidity.

If they make the playoffs, I will be thrilled and consider this season a success.

If they don't, I will consider this season worse than last year.  Last year we had the joy of watching them dismantle the dynasty.           

Worse than last year? Okay...
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2020, 07:43:11 am »

The Browns could also blow it, they have the Giants, Jets and Steelers left.  A Giants and Steelers loss would likely knock them out.  The only good teams they've beat this season are the Colts and the Titans, they smell of fraud.
Ahem
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2020, 09:45:10 am »

Not that they had much of a shot at winning anyway, but the Jaguars are sitting James Robinson for Week 17. He has rushed for 1,400 yards somehow and went undrafted, so that's a cool story.

Either way, the stars appear to be lining up against us in teams of needing other teams to lose.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2020, 09:30:39 pm »

20 Years ago I would have agreed with you. Then I saw Jacksonville Destroy the Dolphins in 2000, Marino's last game of his career and had to see my hero walk off the field under those circumstances, humiliated. Then I saw them lose 27-9 in 2008 because they were a flawed team and really didn't belong in the playoffs. 30-12 in 2016 again because they were not a playoff caliber team. In my humble opinion Miami is not ready for the playoffs this year. If they were healthy, I would feel differently, but they are not, not even close really. Now maybe they get healthier in the next week and a half, but I'm not optimistic. If they get Parker back and perhaps Preston Williams too (where is he?) that would change everything. It's easy to think that you always want your team to be in the playoffs but after you see them get routed in the playoffs when you know going into the game that's a real possibility it becomes harder to swallow each time it happens. I get it. It sounds horrible and I'm not saying that I DON'T want them to make the playoffs, I'm saying that the reality is I don't think they have much chance of doing much in the playoffs and so not making the playoffs THIS YEAR won't be the end of the world to me. I'll deal with it either way. If the Dolphins happen to play great this weekend and beat Buffalo then I'll be extremely happy and much more optimistic about their chances in the playoffs, but right now I can't even imagine that. On the other hand if they get ripped by Buffalo and then somehow back into the playoffs because someone else loses, I won't feel good about that. Right now I'd rather wish that next year Miami is in a much better position to not just make the playoffs but challenge for the AFCE championship and perhaps a shot at a home playoff game and maybe the SuperBowl then. I was a teenager when I first started to root for the Dolphins in the mid to late 70's. I came on board too late to see those great teams of the early 70's. Everything was blue skies and butterflies back then. I wished for the Dolphins to be in the Superbowl every year, not the playoffs because back then the playoffs were a given. Now I'm 57. I'm too old to wish for the playoffs. I want something more. I want to wish for a Superbowl. I want to wish that because the playoffs are a given. That's where my mind is right now. Sorry to say that, but it's the truth.

Going into this year, for me major improvement and a winning record were the major goals, playoffs were just a bonus. Like I said a while ago, we blew up the franchise and started from scratch like Dallas did before their dynasty in the 90s (and a few other less successful examples, but let's stick with Dallas as the blueprint). They went from 1-15 to 7-9, then 11-5 and a wildcard spot, then 13-3 and a Superbowl win.

Our year one was looking much like Dallas up until we snatched those 5 wins late, and our year two is ahead of the curve in comparison - that said, they already had a future HOF QB on their roster playing exceptionally well, and had a tough draw and a tough division featuring two other '90s Superbowl winners plus another perennial contender. Our draw and division in comparison is very soft...

I also have bad thoughts about the way that 2008 season finished (and 2000, although I never bought into 2016 TBH), and we got there courtesy of a soft draw and reality hit from that point on. That said, I got a feeling this team is better, it's been built up differently and is better equipped to handle it. I really like the way the team rebounded from the Kansas City loss, which again gives me hope...

So with a playoff spot up for grabs, I think it can only be good for the team to win and get there. A lot of this has to do with Flores and Grier, it took a while but I think we finally have the right guys making the decisions.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray