Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:21:15 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  I have Covid
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print
Author Topic: I have Covid  (Read 13436 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2021, 09:10:33 am »

I hope everyone here who has had covid or have had family and/or friends with it is doing well.  It is crazy how it seems to leave some families untouched while others get ravaged by it.  My direct family hasn't had anyone test positive with it, while a good friend has had her father-in-law die from it as well as an aunt and an uncle die from it. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2021, 09:24:51 am »

It is crazy how it seems to leave some families untouched while others get ravaged by it.

Given the nature of infectious transmission and social networks that is not “crazy”, but expected that there will be pockets rather than uniform distribution.  Once one family member gets it you are almost certainly going to have other family members.

That is what makes the whole “personal choice” arguments about masks etc  total nonsense. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2021, 03:53:45 pm »

My friend's mother is very, very sick and not expected to survive.  I haven't gotten an update today, but she was being moved to hospice.  If she has passed away, it will mark the first person I've personally known to die from the disease.

I had to pick up my daughter from school today -- she wasn't feeling well with some bogus symptoms, so they wanted to COVID test her....she was negative.  Had she been positive and asymptomatic, I would've been quarantined for 20 days.

I have several people in my life starting to get the shots.  I know several people who have gotten one or both.  I will feel a little better when it's more widely available and some more high-risk people that I know are protected.  I feel like the turn is coming.

Deaths are still high and concerning, but every day, we're a little closer.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2021, 04:16:37 pm »

Once one family member gets it you are almost certainly going to have other family members.

That is what makes the whole “personal choice” arguments about masks etc  total nonsense.  
I had lunch with a guy today whose brother lives about 45 minutes away but refuses to visit his 99 year old father (hasn't seen him since Christmas 2019) because his personal choice is not to catch Covid from anyone. As such ... he and his wife stay home and orders groceries. It's kind of funny to me the 99 year old who fought in WWII isn't afraid to catch it but his "hippy" son is bunkered in Melbourne. It's very likely he won't see his father again until his funeral but that's his personal choice.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2021, 08:56:40 pm »

I hope everyone here who has had covid or have had family and/or friends with it is doing well.  It is crazy how it seems to leave some families untouched while others get ravaged by it. 

Like any other disease some people are just more predisposed to have it affect them more harshly based on their genes.  People can be more likely to get certain cancers based on family history; and some peoples bodies are better at fighting off Covid.  Now i'm not saying that this is the ONLY thing, but it is a factor.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2021, 10:33:37 pm »

Personally, I was much more concerned about catching it and giving it to other people than I was about any consequences for myself.

For me, the idea of giving a loved one a disease (through my own negligence) that ends up killing them would be very hard to accept.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2021, 07:16:24 am »

Personally, I was much more concerned about catching it and giving it to other people than I was about any consequences for myself.

For me, the idea of giving a loved one a disease (through my own negligence) that ends up killing them would be very hard to accept.

Even though we disagree on a lot of things, I always figured that you were a good human being and that comment is more evidence of it.  I would think that if everyone felt that way, covid probably would have never spread to the point that it has. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2021, 07:31:37 am »

I would think that if everyone felt that way, covid probably would have never spread to the point that it has. 

Exactly.  That is what makes it so frustrating.  If everyone did their part - wear a mask, social distance, limit interaction, wash hands, etc the pandemic would be considerably less severe.  But this country has too many selfish people.

The absolute worst offenders are the folks buying and hording N95 masks at the beginning of the pandemic when hospitals had shortages and they thought the masks would protect themselves, but now that it is known masks do more to protect other from the wearer than it does for the wearer they are anti-mask. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2021, 08:17:46 am »

So, my friends' mother died yesterday.  She was young, too.

She had lunch cancer and had a lung that was badly damaged.  She was the definition of a pre-existing condition.  However, despite the fact that this cancer was likely to take her life, it wasn't going to take it yesterday.  COVID robbed them of months -- maybe years of time.  ...she had an 18 year old daughter.  She has grandchildren that could've really benefitted from just a little more time.  A few more months with a grandmother is a long, long time to a child.

It's so tragic. 

They were a family that followed the rules -- they think she got it at the doctor's office, seeking treatment for cancer, probably.  It's hard to see people being so cavalier about how it's not that serious and then people I love suffer so badly.

Stay safe out there.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2021, 10:51:53 am »

I don't think it's that black and white. When I got it my biggest fear is that I gave it to someone else but fortunately no one in my world other than the three of us who moved my daughter caught it. If any of us had feared catching it we would have been wearing masks or whatever gear we felt necessary. While my daughter felt guilty for giving it to us no one blamed her for a minute. It was our choice and not her unknowingly having it that infected us.   

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2021, 01:03:47 pm »

It does have an effect on people when they pass it on. I know my daughter was very upset that she gave it to me, but unfortunately the situation she was in around dozens of young kids every day it was inevitible that she got it. It's possible that had I taken a few more precautions I wouldn't have gotten it from her, but I still think it would have been unlikely. I knew the day she tested positive I had it as well. Don't really think there was much I could have done about that. It's just unfortunate that she's literally the ONLY person that I could have gotten it from. I'm literally around only her and my wife and she had had the vaccine.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2021, 09:49:27 pm »

I don't think it's that black and white. When I got it my biggest fear is that I gave it to someone else but fortunately no one in my world other than the three of us who moved my daughter caught it. If any of us had feared catching it we would have been wearing masks or whatever gear we felt necessary.
Given how quickly infected people can transmit the disease before showing serious symptoms, if a person believes they would expose other people if they were infected, they should have already been concerned about catching COVID.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 10:49:47 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2021, 02:31:32 pm »

A little bit of a positive update:

My wife got her shot, and many, many people I know have as well.  It finally appears to be turning the corner, at least with what I see anecdotally.

Prior to these last two weeks, I knew a couple of people who are pretty old or that literally worked in the hospital (from Facebook) that got it.  But I'm seeing it in my circles now for a variety of reasons.  Teachers, friends with high risk, family. 

I think we're not far from the point where it's going to be readily available and we're going to have to start convincing people to get it.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2021, 05:09:06 pm »

I got a shot. Very happy about that.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2021, 08:10:00 pm »

I read today where they are thinking the second shot for Covid survivors is possibly unnecessary. They said survivors of Covid are just as immune after one shot as others are with the two.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray