Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:27:31 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Maybe this will make some people feel better.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Maybe this will make some people feel better.  (Read 3090 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: April 30, 2021, 05:20:35 am »

It's a breakdown of Jaelan Phillips and compares him to the Watt brothers. I don't think I've ever seen this reviewer before but he seems to know what he's talking about. The risk is there with the injuries, but it's not like Tua didn't have injury concerns and most everyone was fine with taking him at #4. This kid we got at #18. Finally there's the fact that Miami won't be a shock to him. He's already accustomed to the heat and lifestyle of Miami. Sounds like a day 1 starter to me at a position of need, not sure what else you can ask for.

Brett Kollmann Film Room: Jaelan Phillips is a terrifying hybrid of the Watt Brothers

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 07:35:24 am »

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 12:42:58 pm by Fau Teixeira » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 08:33:15 am »

The talent is absolutely there, he is a monster. The difference between him and Tua though is that we didn't have a lot of options when it was time to pick Tua. It was either get him or take a guy like Herbert who at the time was really thought of as second tier. So far, that has proven to not be the case at all but it was the prevailing sentiment at the time. With Phillips, we had lots of other options to pick from on defense.

I'm just hoping that since he played college in Miami that we have the inside track on his medicals and know exactly what we are doing. If so, kid will make our defense even better.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 10:43:08 am »

Multiple concussions scare me especially with the publicity on it these days and the recent early retirements. Not that any one can blame them. Outside of knee injuries it’s concussions that give me the most injury concerns.

It’s a gamble but if it pays off it will pay off huge. No one doubts the potential.

I’m not worried about the rap thing either. It’s good that people have other interests, more to life than football.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 10:49:14 am »

Multiple concussions scare me especially with the publicity on it these days and the recent early retirements. Not that any one can blame them. Outside of knee injuries it’s concussions that give me the most injury concerns.

It’s a gamble but if it pays off it will pay off huge. No one doubts the potential.

I’m not worried about the rap thing either. It’s good that people have other interests, more to life than football.

As a DE, he usually is the one who gives out the concussions. I just hope our medical team is top notch and knows what they are doing because I doubt Grier made any picks without their thumbs up.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 10:57:59 am »

As a DE, he usually is the one who gives out the concussions.

Wasn't he a DE for both of the concussions he suffered at UM?   Lips Sealed

I hope he's seen his last concussion protocol...but that does concern me a little.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 12:20:02 pm »

The difference between him and Tua though is that we didn't have a lot of options when it was time to pick Tua. It was either get him or take a guy like Herbert who at the time was really thought of as second tier.
What!? He was taken by the next team in the draft. No Herbert wasn't thought to be next tier by ANYONE except maybe those that wanted Tua so bad they were delusional. I VERY MUCH wanted Herbert OVER Tua. There were others who thought the same way, their voices were just drowned out by all the Tua lovers. Herbert's draft grade was very similar to Tua's. There's no difference. Tua had injury concerns but was thought to be the better prospect so the injury concerns were overlooked. Same thing happened here. You can't praise Grier and company for overlooking the injury concerns with Tua and at the same time fault them for not overlooking the injury concerns for Phillips.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 12:22:16 pm »

Wasn't he a DE for both of the concussions he suffered at UM?   Lips Sealed

I hope he's seen his last concussion protocol...but that does concern me a little.
My understanding is that his concussions were when he was at UCLA, not at Miami.

5 Star Recruit Forced to Retire From Football! (What Happened to Jaelan Phillips?)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 01:09:18 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

DenverFinFan
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 12:57:36 pm »

My understanding is that his concussions were when he was at UCLA, not at Miami.

Star Recruit Forced to Retire From Football! (What Happened to Jaelan Phillips?)

I think it was at UCLA.  He had wrist surgery too but I’m not clear which of his injuries were on the field or related to a traffic accident.

As Edge pointed out it’s better to be giving the hits in this situation than not but concussions are outside of knee damage the kinds of injury that scares me the most. Once get you one the next one is easier and it’s a publicity thing too. His brief retirement shows he will put himself over the game, which is great and how it should be, but it gives some butterflies about the pick.

If he really is the best defense prospect and lives up to it and becomes the next Von Miller than we are good to go. Let’s hope it’s that.

Bold choice Miami and it least they are swinging, as a survivor of the Wanny era that’s progress to me.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 01:14:58 pm »

I like the waddle pick .. (i called it btw) .. also I like the Philips pick, he's a beast
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 01:19:57 pm »

My bad...but my point was still that he was playing DE when he suffered the concussions, in a semi-snarky rebuttal to:

As a DE, he usually is the one who gives out the concussions....

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 10:44:02 am »

I'm not liking this draft. 

Miami got too cute with the pre-draft trades. Had they held on to the #3 pick, they could've fleeced Atlanta for Pitts. Instead, they trade down and trade back up hoping Atlanta was going to take a QB and Cincy would take Sewell. Instead, their top two targets (Chase and Pitts) were both grabbed, leaving them to settle for Waddle.

Then they grab Phillips at 18, who has concussion concerns. If they wanted an established edge rusher, Paye would've been a much better choice.

Then they got cute again in the second round and traded up, giving up almost all of their day three picks to draft a safety when other needs were more pressing. They could've stood pat and gotten Eichenberg, but instead had to trade up to draft their next OT target.

Then in the third round with Trey Sermon and Michael Carter still on the board, they decide to not address the RB spot and grab a TE who I've never heard of.

And now this afternoon, they only have two picks in four rounds

TBH, I think this team blew a grand opportunity to get some serious talent in the fold. If these guys don't pan out, it could cost Grier his job.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 11:35:43 am »

^^^

There is definitely a lot of truth to what you are saying, I think at this point we all agree the pre-draft trades were a mistake, but we have to factor in that we needed other teams to trade up for us to make some things happen and they didn't want to. Denver and Carolina both passed on Fields and Jones when their time came up, so they were never serious trade targets.

However, we just got 4 starters in 5 picks, maybe a 5th since the TE we drafted was the best one behind Pitts. Huge drop off obviously, but still a solid guy.

We addressed some positions of need, just not all of them and not with the guys most of us thought. I would've preferred we took a different route in terms of guys we selected and moving up, but you need trade partners to make that happen and I don't think anyone was interested.

We used our whole free agency on depth signings until Fuller fell in our laps. Depth is important, championship teams can't have glaring weaknesses but I think we could've done better to ensure a top notch Center or Linebacker.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 12:33:22 pm »

Sour grapes. I LIKE what we did. We did the smart thing and picked up extra/earlier picks in the next couple of drafts and STILL got good players to fill the positions that needed to be filled. I think you're only looking at the short term and not looking at the long term. That's what gets teams into trouble. You should always be thinking long term, not short term. Almost every draft analysis that I have seen they gave Miami good marks for who they took. Ok, so maybe they didn't get the players you wanted, but they got good players. Very good players. Perhaps underated players that could turn out to be as good or better NFL players than the ones they didn't pick.

I read an article today that said they talked to Tua about what he wanted and he said he wanted speed. Well they got that with both Fuller and Waddle. Then they got a legit pass rusher. Everyone wanted a RB, instead they got a offensive lineman and a blocking TE that could be more valueable then getting a RB. To top it off they picked up a safety to help with the all important slot coverage that Miami needed. All in all I think they did GREAT. We won't know for 2 years at least how it all turns out but it's not all doom and gloom like ya'll are trying to make it out. Try to show a little optimism.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 02:01:32 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 02:55:33 pm »

Miami got too cute with the pre-draft trades. Had they held on to the #3 pick, they could've fleeced Atlanta for Pitts. Instead, they trade down and trade back up hoping Atlanta was going to take a QB and Cincy would take Sewell. Instead, their top two targets (Chase and Pitts) were both grabbed, leaving them to settle for Waddle.
Given that Bill O'Brien is no longer in the league, I don't think you can expect anyone else to trade 3 first-round picks to draft a TE.  And if MIA did have Waddle as their top target (?!), they executed their strategy perfectly.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray