Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:58:52 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Field of Dreams game
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Field of Dreams game  (Read 2581 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: August 13, 2021, 11:22:18 am »

I saw a clip of this.

Where was this...what was it for?  Is it a regular thing?  What happens if the ball rolled into the corn?

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 11:41:03 am »

^^^ The MLB field they used is right next to the one for the movie. The outfield fences are way shorter than most MLB parks, but within regulations.

MLB has been trying to put together a Field of Dreams tribute game for at least 3-4 years now. They were finally planning it for last season, but COVID scrapped that.

The goal was simple...get folks talking about MLB on a weeknight in August.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 09:56:44 am »

There are wire fences in front of the Corn Dave. The ball cannot roll into the corn. It can however land in the corn which it did numerous times.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 02:49:42 pm »

I did notice one issue with the fence, which is that they were designed with an overhang.  A player jumped into the overhang at a scary angle while trying to rob a homer and could have been injured:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hixXndP7t4&t=449s
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 02:51:48 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 09:38:06 am »

^^^ The MLB field they used is right next to the one for the movie. The outfield fences are way shorter than most MLB parks, but within regulations.
I don't think the fences are way shorter. According to the below information the dimensions for the MLB field of dreams is about the same as the one the White Sox currently play in. Not sure what the league average is, but these dimensions seem pretty typical.

The Dyersville ballpark could be a hitter-friend park and it will resemble a lot of big league parks with its dimensions. It'll be 335 feet down the lines and 400 feet to center. The alleys will be 380 feet. How does that stack up to most MLB parks? Well, take a look at Guaranteed Rate Field, the usual home for the White Sox. The left field line at the Chicago stadium is 330 feet while the right field line 335 feet. It's also 400 feet to center. So, the Dyersville's park, much like Guaranteed Rate Field after its 2001 renovations, could be a hitter-friendly facility. At the very least, it'll have a lot of the same feel to it for hitters at the plate.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/07/27/field-of-dreams-major-league-baseball-stadium-chicago-white-sox-new-york-yankees-dyersville/5385491001/

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 09:51:03 am »

The goal was simple...get folks talking about MLB on a weeknight in August.

Definitely.  And it certainly accomplished that as it was highlighted on everything from ESPN to local newscasts throughout the country. 

Personally, I enjoyed it.  I could have done without the overly dramatic intro by Kevin Costner, but it was kind of cool to watch a game in such a different type of setting.  I would be cool with them playing a MLB game there maybe once per year.  But any more than that and it would kind of lose the unique appeal. 
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 08:54:52 am »

Definitely.  And it certainly accomplished that as it was highlighted on everything from ESPN to local newscasts throughout the country. 

Even my baby sister, who really isn't a big MLB fan...sent me a message saying "are you watching this?"

Which, of course, I didn't receive until after the game, as I was definitely watching at that point.

I watched the original Field of Dreams movie before the game as well, plus the "other" movie involving Shoeless Joe...Eight Men Out.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 09:09:26 am »

I watched the original Field of Dreams movie before the game as well, plus the "other" movie involving Shoeless Joe...Eight Men Out.

Oh, excellent idea.  I wish I had thought to do that.  Both of those were very good movies.  Even if I cry like a little girl when Costner's character plays catch with his ghost dad at the end.  As I told my wife when we were watching the game last week, I wouldn't trade years off my life for it, but if I were given the option of dying a very painful death for just one more game of catch with my dad I would take that offer in a heartbeat. 
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 09:13:07 am »

^^^ If I'd had more time leading up to the game, I would've added my other favorite Costner baseball movie...

"For Love of the Game."

~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 12:12:37 pm »

Even my baby sister, who really isn't a big MLB fan...sent me a message saying "are you watching this?"

Which, of course, I didn't receive until after the game, as I was definitely watching at that point.

I think all of this appeals more to the older crowd who remembers when MLB was America's game. With the younger crowd for the most part it's all about the NFL and NBA.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 12:14:06 pm »

^^^ If I'd had more time leading up to the game, I would've added my other favorite Costner baseball movie...

"For Love of the Game."
What about Major League and Bull Durham? Can't miss those 2 classics.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 01:09:53 pm »

I think all of this appeals more to the older crowd who remembers when MLB was America's game. With the younger crowd for the most part it's all about the NFL and NBA.

I think you are probably right.  I'm sure there is a stat somewhere that tracks the "average age" of the baseball fan.  I would expect that such a stat would show a significant aging of the average baseball fan. 
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 01:11:14 pm »

What about Major League and Bull Durham? Can't miss those 2 classics.

Those are both definitely classics, but both are comedies. The other 3 are excellent dramas, which I felt were a better fit for the reverence of the evening.

If I were doing a baseball comedies binge...Major League and bull Durham would definitely top the list.

Heck, I liked Major League so much that I once named my cat Jobu...

~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 01:16:48 pm »

* If you like Major League, Ted Lasso on Apple TV+ is an excellent show (about soccer and American football, kinda), but has a very similar Major League plot.  It's also makes you feel good -- likable characters.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray