Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:42:42 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Jon Gruden resigns as Raiders coach after leaked emails
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Jon Gruden resigns as Raiders coach after leaked emails  (Read 6697 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2021, 09:32:24 pm »

The NFL finds itself in a difficult situation with the way society is now.   Playing professional football is probably the most high testosterone career in the world (or close to it).  It is male dominated even though a few women have broken into management/officiating/lower level coaching positions.  If we are going to be honest, we aren't dealing with the most intellectually evolved people in the world when talking about the average player/coach in the NFL.  Mysogyny, homophobia, racism are probably more rampant in football than most other careers for the reasons I mentioned above.  Cultural change takes time.  It has taken general society a long time to make strides against mysogyny, homophobia, racism, etc.  Because football is such a testosterone fueled subset of society, the NFL is lagging even further behind the rest of society. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2021, 09:42:24 pm »

Wouldn't be surprised if that Washington investigation ended up with Dan Snyder getting the Donald Sterling treatment.
That dude is a scumbag among scumbags.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2021, 08:26:01 am »

Wouldn't be surprised if that Washington investigation ended up with Dan Snyder getting the Donald Sterling treatment.

Indeed.  Washington has been a dirty franchise for a long time and I'm surprised the ax hasn't fallen on Snyder long before this.  Truth be told, with most owners being pretty old and not necessarily as savvy regarding the permanent aspect of anything they put into emails, etc., I bet the majority of those guys probably have a lot of stuff that would be pretty abhorrent by today's standards.  The only defense that I would offer up is if the emails (or whatever) are like 20+ years old, I would hope that it is taken into consideration that the social climate at the time was very different then than it is today.  A lot of things that are absolutely off limits today were commonplace years ago.  Not really an apples to apples comparison, but I was watching an old news documentary with a young buddy of mine recently and he was appalled that people were smoking in business offices in the 1970's.   But is was so commonplace back then that if someone objected to it, THEY would be the weird one, not the person smoking at their desk. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2021, 09:16:17 am »

They've been trying for years, but have been unsuccesful. Snyder is not the type of guy to walk away quietly and as a member of the exclusive owners club, he probably has some dirt on the other guys and will take them down with him. So, I don't think removing him will be popular with the other owners and they are the ones who determine who the commish is.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2021, 02:16:30 pm »

Yeah, the Snyder part of this might have legs.  From the NYT:

"For the photo shoot, at the adults-only Occidental Grand Papagayo resort on Culebra Bay, some of the cheerleaders said they were required to be topless, though the photographs used for the calendar would not show nudity. Others wore nothing but body paint. Given the resort's secluded setting, such revealing poses would not have been a concern for the women - except that the Redskins had invited spectators.

A contingent of sponsors and FedExField suite holders - all men - were granted up-close access to the photo shoots."

And from WaPo:

In "Beauties on the Beach," the official video chronicling the making of the Washington NFL team's 2008 cheerleader swimsuit calendar, the women frolic in the sand, rave about their custom bikinis and praise a photographer for putting them at ease in settings where sometimes only a strategically placed prop or tightly framed shot shielded otherwise bare breasts.

What the cheerleaders didn't know was that another video, intended strictly for private use, would be produced using footage from that same shoot. Set to classic rock, the 10-minute unofficial video featured moments when nipples were inadvertently exposed as the women shifted positions or adjusted props.

The lewd outtakes were what Larry Michael, then the team's lead broadcaster and a senior vice president, referred to as "the good bits" or "the good parts," according to Brad Baker, a former member of Michael's staff. Baker said in an interview that he was present when Michael told staffers to make the video for team owner Daniel Snyder."

---

Management requiring cheerleaders to participate topless in a calendar shoot and then trading skeevy undercover pics and video among themselves is... a problem.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2021, 02:26:20 pm »

Management requiring cheerleaders to participate topless in a calendar shoot and then trading skeevy undercover pics and video among themselves is... a problem.

Holy shit, that is not good. Putting on my amateur lawyer hat for a second, the cheerleader contracts would have to be analyzed to see if they consented to this in the fine print. In terms of morality, absolute scumbags and losers. A bunch of billionaires and millionaires can't see breasts without tricking innocent women? Human garbage. I would 100% support them being removed even if they pulled some legal trickery where this was legal.

How did they even find this video?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2021, 02:34:02 pm »

How do I get on the "Good Bits" list?

...asking for myself.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2021, 02:49:19 pm »

How do I get on the "Good Bits" list?

...asking for myself.

You start off by not playing for the team, certainly no good bits there.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2021, 09:29:17 pm »

Word is that Congress is going to get involved and all the emails will be leaked and that Gruden's emails were just the "tip of the iceberg" according to one long time Senator.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2021, 08:06:07 pm »

Word is that Congress is going to get involved and all the emails will be leaked and that Gruden's emails were just the "tip of the iceberg" according to one long time Senator.

"Uh oh, we might leak some emails and investigate. Better donate to our campaigns so we forget."
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2021, 08:55:59 pm »

Tip of the iceberg? As in let's shoehorn our way into private conversations? How is anything that 2 people discuss in a private conversation relevant to Congress in any way? 

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2021, 04:51:54 am »

Tip of the iceberg? As in let's shoehorn our way into private conversations? How is anything that 2 people discuss in a private conversation relevant to Congress in any way? 
If, as mentioned earlier, the WFT management was requiring employees to pose topless for a calendar shoot while secretly recording and trading behind-the-scenes footage, it is very much relevant to Congress in their function as lawmakers; e.g. whether they should create a law to prevent (or at least discourage) such an event from happening again.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2021, 08:39:14 pm »

If, as mentioned earlier, the WFT management was requiring employees to pose topless for a calendar shoot while secretly recording and trading behind-the-scenes footage, it is very much relevant to Congress in their function as lawmakers; e.g. whether they should create a law to prevent (or at least discourage) such an event from happening again.
And how does that have anything to do with Gruden? Whoever is leaking this stuff needs to be found, fired, and sued.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2021, 02:01:49 am »

Gruden's e-mails were between him and the WFT GM.

While Gruden's own comments - as, at the time, a color commentator for ESPN - were relevant to his choice to resign, I think Congress would be more interested in the e-mails from the perspective of the WFT management and how they were directing their employees.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2021, 10:09:30 am »

Goodell had the emails leaked because he doesn't like Gruden, and he hates the Raiders.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray