Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:10:36 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  2023 Rule Changes Considered
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: 2023 Rule Changes Considered  (Read 2882 times)
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« on: March 01, 2023, 07:27:35 am »

The Competition Committee met last week and, as usual, a number of rule changes have been discussed. I haven't seen a comprehensive list of all the items discussed, but collecting from various sources I've found the following:

- Onside kick alternative (4th and 15 from own 25th, 4th year in a row this is being considered)
- "QB Push" (as popularized by the Eagles)
- Hip drop tackle, the worry being increased injury risk.
- Make roughing the passer reviewable.
- 3rd quarterback (dress a 47th player on game day as an emergency quarterback)
- Allowing jerseys with the number "0"

Any decisions will be made at the owners' meeting held March 26 through 29. Changes have to be approved by a 2/3rds majority.

I think we will see some sort of rule change on the 3rd quarterback for the simple reason that it is something that "affects the product", but doesn't really come with a cost or risk - and is unlikely to really change much competitively. It could be limited to the postseason, but I do think we will see something here.

The onside kickoff alternative has a decent chance of passing, but there are reportedly some hardline opponents of the change and if I had to bet, I'd say it gets tabled without a vote again. The biggest issue is that recovery rates are all over the place and comparisons from season to season is almost impossible with the NFL changing rules regarding where players can line up so often. The big change was before the 2018 season, which dropped the success rate from a relatively stable 20-some percent to less than 8%. It improved slightly in 2019 to nearly 13%, before crating to 4.5% in 2020. That was followed by a massive bounce to just over 16% in 2021, but last year saw only 3 successful recoveries out of 56 (5.4%). There is no question that recovery rates are way down compared to pre-2018 where the no-running-start rule was implemented, but the bounce from the rule change prior to 2021 didn't stick for whatever reason (it limited the number of players the receiving team could have 10-25 yards from the kickoff spot to 9). There are alternatives to 4th and 15, like reducing the number of players in the 10-25 yard range further.

This is certainly an issue the league wants to "fix", but with only 50-some attempts a year and ever-changing rules, it's hard to identify the issues. One complicating factor is that pre-2018, surprise onside kicks had a > 40% recovery rate (2000-2017). There used to be about 10 of those a year. The recovery rate on surprise kicks since the 2018 rule change has fallen to around 10%, but attempts are way down as well and with only a few years of data, it's hard to be sure what the "real" probability of recovery is. A "4th and 15" rule obviously wouldn't do anything to boost surprise onside recovery probabilities, but I don't even know if the league thinks that part of the issue is relevant.

I don't think we'll see a change in the QB push rules. It's only been a "problem" (if you even think it's a problem) for a season and the obvious course of action would be to wait and see how teams deal with it now that they know about and can prepare for it. If we do see a kneejerk reaction, I think it will be limited in some way (like no pushing players within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage). It's kind of interesting that until 2005 there was actually a rule prohibiting the pushing the ball-carrier forward, but it was almost never used even when it was clearly happening.

With regards to the hip-drop tackle, the Competition Committee asked for more evidence on how often this type of tackle actually happened and the associated injuries. Those numbers will presumably be available in time for the owners' meeting, but I don't see them putting it to a vote this year.

Roughing the passer is a more interesting issue. I don't think we'll see it as *reviewable* in the normal sense that a coach can challenge it, simply because it flies in the face of the league's policy of not having "judgment calls" being reviewable. The failed attempt at allowing pass interference to be reviewed only strengthens this argument. The question in my mind is whether the league believes it can do something about the obvious BS calls in some other way, like changing the rule enforcement (not the rules), the refereeing guidelines, or some sort of "sky judge" review.

I have absolutely no opinion on the use of the number "0" on jerseys and no idea what kind of resistance such a proposal would meet. I also don't know why it was disallowed, only that it was allowed at least as recently as the 70s (both 0 and 00). The NCAA opened up the use in 2020, so I'm guessing that is indirectly the impetus for a change now.

While not gameday relevant, there has been considerable talk of expanding the (mandatory) use of Guardian Caps (the soft outer caps on regular helmets). They aren't insanely popular with players (heat and comfort), but an improved model should be ready by the time camps start. Head injuries have been down massively among the players who have used these and some coaches have kept specific players in them all season. Last season, use of Guardian Caps was mandatory for linemen, linebackers, and tight ends from the start of training camp to the second preseason game.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 08:39:37 am »

Roughing the Passer should absolutely be reviewable but I doubt the league would allow it as they use the threat of it now to protect their stars and increase scoring.

Having a 3rd emergency QB seems like a good thing too, I see no harm in it.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 06:26:17 pm »

Could making RTP reviewable have the opposite effect intended, like it did with Pass Interference?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 06:48:54 pm »

I still think it would super cool to allow each team one field goal mulligan per year

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 09:32:48 am »

Could making RTP reviewable have the opposite effect intended, like it did with Pass Interference?

That's up the the refs if they want to be incompetent and/or corrupt. If Joe Six Pack can make the right call at home, then they can make the right call with years of training and 12 different angles on replay.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 01:46:42 pm »

Here's an interesting video I saw yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_JPxlEwiYk

The XFL's process for replay review is much more transparent than the NFL's.  The viewers can listen in to the actual conversation happening between the booth and the officials on the field.  It also seems to be much faster than review in the NFL.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 01:51:31 pm »

^ I saw that somewhere a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was really cool.  I'd love for the NFL to adopt that.

Anything to improve transparency and speed up the game is better.  Having the booth guys pontificating about what the call will be for several minutes is antiquated.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 02:16:18 pm »

Here's an interesting video I saw yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_JPxlEwiYk

The XFL's process for replay review is much more transparent than the NFL's.  The viewers can listen in to the actual conversation happening between the booth and the officials on the field.  It also seems to be much faster than review in the NFL.

I just personally feel that the NFL Refs drag it out and still somehow get the call wrong out of ego and anger. They get embarrassed that they got the call wrong so they'll pretend like it was really close and wait awhile or they just don't like the whole system of being questioned and refuse to admit their mistakes. I can't think of any other reasonable explanation for getting calls on replay wrong that are obvious to everyone.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 02:20:50 pm »

^ I think that we unfairly rip NFL refs, because we don't know their rationale.

If they're in the booth and we see him say, "it looks like his toe might be down, but I just don't have a definitive angle, so I'm gonna have to stick with the original call" and you see the thought process of them trying to find a way to overturn the call, but they don't have the data, I think it would go down easier.

I drink your milkshake!
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 03:21:30 pm »

It's the RULE on roughing the passer that needs to be changed.  

Ultimately, this is football.  In football you get tackled.  If you don't want to be tackled, be a kicker, like I was LOL.

Quarterbacks should be allowed to be tackled just like any other people.

Ditch "low hits"

Ditch the body weight rule

Does the body slam rule apply to other players?  If not, get rid of that too.

Late hits should be illegal

Helmet to helmet should be illegal.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 03:32:05 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 04:12:39 pm »

^ I think that we unfairly rip NFL refs, because we don't know their rationale.

If they're in the booth and we see him say, "it looks like his toe might be down, but I just don't have a definitive angle, so I'm gonna have to stick with the original call" and you see the thought process of them trying to find a way to overturn the call, but they don't have the data, I think it would go down easier.

I can understand that, but when the call is so obvious that the announcers go "What were the refs thinking?" then I can't give them the benefit of the doubt. The benefit being "They are just dumb and blind".

There should be more transparency like the XFL, so it's suspicious when there isn't as there is no need to hide such things.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 04:34:26 pm »

^ Yeah, and you wouldn't be wondering what they were thinking if you could hear their thought process.  Also, the people in the booth don't know everything.  They might not fully understand the rules or weren't present in rules meetings or whatever.  They are TV personalities.

I've been a ref before and it's hard to see things in the moment, you get blocked from views, etc.  Even when you're right there....things get in the way, life moves fast.  Also, people's body language can throw you off.  These guys do pretty well, considering.  They just get shit on all the time.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2023, 09:10:33 pm »

I hate all the constant rule changes in the NFL.

That being said I think there ought to be more penalties on offensive players for helmet to helmet hits on tackles.  Seems like every game a defensive player goes low to tackle an offensive player with the ball, so as not to hit him high, then the offensive player goes low to avoid the tackle and they hit head to head.  Yet the defensive player gets the penalty called on him.  Why, he was in position first.  Some of these penalties should be called on the offense.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 05:20:50 am »

It looks like a total of 17 Rule changes have been approved - here's a link to the list:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-rule-changes-2023-jersey-no-0-is-back-personal-foul-penalties-clarified-one-date-for-roster-cutdowns/
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 08:41:34 am »

Someone is going to have to explain the following rule change to me:

---------------
    To change the definition of a launch, proposed by the Competition Committee

Rule change: A launch, which is a personal foul (15-yard penalty), is now if a player leaves one or both feet to make a tackle.
---------------

I must be missing something, because this would seem to outlaw any tackle where the contact is not initiated while both feet are touching the ground - i.e. any tackle where the defender isn't pretty much stationary. *Running* to make a tackle would be launching. You would have to slow to a walk in order to make sure both feet are planted before initiating contact.

Outlawing forward handoffs also just seems silly. It will create a gray area where it's unclear if the quarterback let go of the ball before the "receiver" touches the ball. What problem is the competition committee even attempting to solve?

Not a fan of a single, massive roster cut-down day. The Turk is going to be insanely busy and it just seems overall messy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray