Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:35:17 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dalvin Cook
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Dalvin Cook  (Read 2909 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« on: May 12, 2023, 02:43:38 pm »

There's a lot of chatter talking about the Vikings parting ways with Dalvin Cook this offseasaon.  I think he's due a pretty substantial roster bonus that may force their hand.  As such, there have been a lot of tweets and commentary stating that he wants to play for the Dolphins.  He supposedly posted this photo in his instagram stories...

Do you think the Dolphins have room on the roster for this guy?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 02:56:38 pm »

We have absolutely no room for him. We brought back Mostert and Wilson Jr. who did a nice job last year and we just drafted Devon Achane who McDaniels loves and lobbied to get. Cook is very good and I wouldn't want him to go to Buffalo, but I don't see how we make it work. Mostert and Wilson are McDaniels guys as well, cutting them after signing them would be a dirty move.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 03:10:52 pm »

Can we afford him would be my 1st question? Second, do teams actually use 3 RBs consistently? Rotate them to keep them fresh?

I guess we could throw the wishbone into the playbook with Cook, Mostert, and Wilson in the backfield. That would be scary with Tyreek and Waddle on the outside. Then couldn't you split them all out into a 4 or 5 WR play depending on what shell the defense is playing? I'm not up to date on the pre snap motion rules.

Have to take into account the guy we drafted also. But then again, he could sit and/or cover any injuries to starters for his first year.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 03:21:40 pm »

I think, if you bring in Cook, he could be in a starting rotation with Mostert, who is historically injury prone.  Wilson would be in the mix too. 

I think Gaskin and Ahmed would hit the road.

The thing that i don't think the Dolphins can do is pay him.  Is he willing to take a discount to play on this roster?  We'll see.  But I can't imagine they can find a way to fit him into the cap with so many big salaries in there already.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 03:57:21 pm »

I'm still trying to get used to free agents actually wanting to come to Miami.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 06:53:07 am »

What can I say, it's nice to be a destination team for the right reasons... not for players to basically take a big pay check and party on to retirement, but wanting to be part of a team to win the whole lot!

McDaniel got the ball rolling, and the players have taken it a huge step further. Getting rid of the pool room last year was a huge statement to the whole group - the party is over, they are here to win a championship, and you get your fun playing well and winning. Hill and Armstead are a huge part of that, and Tua and X are leaders too in that.

If Cook is willing to take a pay cut to fit him in, then why not? It's another sign that we're primed to take a big step to what we all want, and he will be a very valuable addition.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 07:29:42 pm »

For the record, they didn't get rid of the pool room.  They did "get rid of" the ping-pong table... so they could replace it with a newer one.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 09:30:35 am »

For the record, they didn't get rid of the pool room.  They did "get rid of" the ping-pong table... so they could replace it with a newer one.
And then removed it again prior to playing the Jets at the end of the season. I can't remember who exactly but I think it was possibly Brandon Jones who said as of last week it was not in the locker room.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 11:34:02 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 10:39:26 am »

For the record, they didn't get rid of the pool room.  They did "get rid of" the ping-pong table... so they could replace it with a newer one.

They removed the ping pong table so they had more room for gurneys.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 08:56:37 am »

https://phinphanatic.com/posts/mike-mcdaniel-is-eating-oreos-and-basically-telling-everyone-that-the-miami-dolphins-are-signing-dalvin-cook-01h1sppxmdh3

Really looks like we are getting Dalvin Cook this week. I still don't know how this works as we re-signed our two backs from last year and drafted one that McDaniel is high on, but it certainly doesn't make us a worse team. I just think we may have to let one of Mostert or Wilson Jr. go, which may be the nice thing to do rather than not dress them for half the year.

Only weak spots this team has is the O-Line and we might address that soon because we just got the "Byron Jones Lottery Money".
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 09:57:48 am »

Sounds like the team captains and the coach are NOT on the same page regarding ping pong ball status, if just that no biggie, but could be a sign of larger communication issues.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 10:48:11 am »

https://phinphanatic.com/posts/mike-mcdaniel-is-eating-oreos-and-basically-telling-everyone-that-the-miami-dolphins-are-signing-dalvin-cook-01h1sppxmdh3

Really looks like we are getting Dalvin Cook this week. I still don't know how this works as we re-signed our two backs from last year and drafted one that McDaniel is high on, but it certainly doesn't make us a worse team. I just think we may have to let one of Mostert or Wilson Jr. go, which may be the nice thing to do rather than not dress them for half the year.

Only weak spots this team has is the O-Line and we might address that soon because we just got the "Byron Jones Lottery Money".
I agree that the team has more pressing needs but I think Cook is head and shoulders better than all the other guys on the roster, and he seems like he wants to play here.  I wonder what a roster looks like with Cook, Mostert, Wilson and Achane, maybe Gaskin and Ahmed are odd men out.  You know they like to rotate players to keep legs fresh.  Maybe Mostert or Achane find a way to contribute on kick/punt returns?  Cook is a little fragile so keeping talent at the position is required.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2023, 10:58:59 am »

I agree that the team has more pressing needs but I think Cook is head and shoulders better than all the other guys on the roster, and he seems like he wants to play here.  I wonder what a roster looks like with Cook, Mostert, Wilson and Achane, maybe Gaskin and Ahmed are odd men out.  You know they like to rotate players to keep legs fresh.  Maybe Mostert or Achane find a way to contribute on kick/punt returns?  Cook is a little fragile so keeping talent at the position is required.

We can't have 6 running backs. 4 is still too many but we say that now and then Week 4 comes up and 3 of them are out with ankle issues and we're starting a rookie. I really like all 4 guys we have, but it's not fair to expect someone like Mostert to produce on 5 touches a game, if that. Pass catching helps, but Tyreek and Waddle already monopolize passes and deservedly so. I would let one of the 4 go so the other 3 can get more consistent action but it's still a good problem to have.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2023, 11:57:45 am »

There is no universe in which MIA releases Mostert or Wilson while keeping Gaskin or Ahmed.  That's insanity.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2023, 12:09:27 pm »

I pretty clearly said Gaskin and Ahmed are "odd men out" - I never said to keep 6 RB's.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray