Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2024, 07:45:21 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Collinsworth on Josh Allen
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Collinsworth on Josh Allen  (Read 5197 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2023, 12:11:42 am »

I have to agree with Collinsworth in this game as well. Bagent looked good for a rookie QB making his first start. Sure he's going to make some rookie mistakes, Fields is in his 3rd year in the league. Bagent is a rookie. Collinsworth wasn't saying Bagent was better than Fields just that Fields should be watching Bagent throw the ball and he should. Fields is a decent enough running QB, but he's not that good passing the ball. Bagent, I dare say is already better than Fields throwing the ball.

I'm not sure what people have against Collinsworth. I don't really think he's that great of an announcer myself, but he's just calling it as he sees it. I think he's seen his fair share of QB's. Maybe there's somethings that he sees that others don't. I don't think people are really being objective and already have their mind made up on Collinsworth. Fair enough, we all have announcers we don't like, but if he was really as bad as this writer is trying to make him out to be, he wouldn't have stuck around this long. I got a feeling there's a good bit of personal bias in this opinion.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 05:19:32 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2023, 04:04:42 pm »

Collinsworth wore out his knee pads with Justin Herbert last Sunday.  He just couldn't get enough.  My beef with him is that he is unable to go against the narrative and ciriticize the "league heroes" that they want to be popular.  Herbert or Allen or Mahomes - could throw 4 picks and they would still be having an incredible game. 

Call it like it is, not like you want it to be.  Its just like the NFL is paying him extra to pump these guys up because it is in the league's interest to have these guys be the face of the league.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2023, 06:51:07 pm »

I think that we're expecting analysis and that's just not what these broadcasts provide.  They need someone to just bullshit bloviate off the cuff for 3 and a half hours straight.  Collinsworth's skillset isn't that he can say well thought out, intelligent points that add insight; it's that he can yak for an entire game's length.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2023, 01:17:05 pm »

I think that we're expecting analysis and that's just not what these broadcasts provide.  They need someone to just bullshit bloviate off the cuff for 3 and a half hours straight.  Collinsworth's skillset isn't that he can say well thought out, intelligent points that add insight; it's that he can yak for an entire game's length.
Well he is considered the color commentator I do believe. Yeah, a lot of his job is to add his own personal thoughts and opinions, not really to do in depth analysis. Maybe you're just expecting more from him than I am.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2023, 12:37:33 pm »

Dave, you need to worry more about your own QB who's quickly developing a reputation as a choker in big games.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2023, 01:39:23 pm »

"Some people are saying, many people in fact, that Tua is a choker.  You hear it more and more!  Sad."

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2023, 10:11:49 am »

Dave, you need to worry more about your own QB who's quickly developing a reputation as a choker in big games.

If that's the narrative, fine -- if you want to say the Dolphins have a reputation of not beating good teams, that's also fine.

But I will also rip Collinsworth when he comes on and says that the Dolphins are at their best when they're playing the elite teams of the NFL.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2023, 10:48:06 am »

If that's the narrative, fine -- if you want to say the Dolphins have a reputation of not beating good teams, that's also fine.
For the record, that's not me saying that, but it is starting to become a narrative and again I think it's unwarranted which is my point. Too much praise is placed upon the QB when the team wins and too much blame is placed on the QB when the team loses. Wins and losses are not a QB stat, they are a team stat. I just hate it when people start praising OR criticizing a QB for the team's success or lack thereof. That's not how you critique a QB.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2023, 11:51:23 am »

It might not be warranted, but the opposite certainly isn't true.  You can argue that Allen's reputation for being bad in crunch time is unwarranted, but to say he's at his best is not a tenable position.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2023, 09:49:05 am »

I really enjoyed Josh Allen being at his best with the game on the line yesterday.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2023, 02:30:04 pm »

I really enjoyed Josh Allen being at his best with the game on the line yesterday.
He got the lead for his team and again the defense folds like a house of cards. Much too easy for Philly to basically walk down the field for a TD.

Engineering Owl

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2023, 04:51:35 pm »

he failed to close out the game. 3 points is not enough.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2023, 10:35:45 am »

he failed to close out the game. 3 points is not enough.
When your D basically gives up a TD on every possession in OT you're correct. I can't put that on Josh Allen, I'm sorry. Buffalo is supposed to have a good D and they do for most of the game. When it matters the most they seem to fold much more than Allen does. Allen ran for a first down and threw for another on 3rd down. Basically he got them into FG position all by himself and the help of a bad penalty. He didn't get the TD, but it's unclear if that was a bad throw or a bad read by the WR. The WR cut out and he threw it inside. If the WR cuts inside or he throws it outside it's an easy TD, but I'm not sure who to blame on that play. Still a better D doesn't give up an easy TD to Philly. Much much much too easy.

Look, I'm not trying to say that Josh Allen is a great OT player, but his defense is one of the worst and it's pretty good defense the rest of the time. Whomever it was that was announcing the game alluded to this as well. It looked like the Bills might win in OT and one of them mentioned it would be Allens first and the other guy said that Allen had been unlucky. I think that was being kind to the Bills defense. Allen hasn't been unlucky, the defense has been downright bad and sure enough it was again.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:56:48 am by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2023, 11:50:06 am »

When your D basically gives up a TD on every possession in OT you're correct. I can't put that on Josh Allen, I'm sorry. Buffalo is supposed to have a good D and they do for most of the game.
What you can put on Josh Allen is that his offense - featuring an "MVP caliber" QB and multiple Pro Bowl weapons - can't ever seem to score a TD in overtime... unlike his opponents.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2023, 12:24:11 pm »

He also got the ball first and completely missed on a wide open receiver for a TD.  Maybe a miscommunication with his receiver, maybe a bad decision.  Who knows?  I do know that whatever happened wasn't his best with the game on the line, though.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray