Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:55:15 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Yesterday (3-13-2000) was the 24th anniversary of Dan Marino's retirement
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Yesterday (3-13-2000) was the 24th anniversary of Dan Marino's retirement  (Read 782 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: March 14, 2024, 09:38:25 am »

It's absolutely amazing how we always felt we had a chance when he was here. Man ... I sure miss that feeling. Who'd have thought we would now be worst professional franchise in the US? Miami hasn't made the final 8 since 2000 making them the worst professional franchise. Hell ... even my sorry arse Orlando Magic did it in 2010 along with the Jets. It's almost impossible to be this bad for so long without trying to be.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 12:52:46 pm »

You can always cherry pick the date and conditions to arrive at the intended goal of "worst franchise in the nation."
The Jets haven't made the playoffs in 13 years, so of course the timeline has to be longer than that.  And since the Dolphins won a playoff game in 2000, that's when the timeline has to stop.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 02:07:15 pm »

Who'd have thought we would now be worst professional franchise in the US? Miami hasn't made the final 8 since 2000 making them the worst professional franchise. Hell ... even my sorry arse Orlando Magic did it in 2010 along with the Jets. It's almost impossible to be this bad for so long without trying to be.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 02:51:41 pm »

You can always cherry pick the date and conditions to arrive at the intended goal of "worst franchise in the nation."
The Jets haven't made the playoffs in 13 years, so of course the timeline has to be longer than that.  And since the Dolphins won a playoff game in 2000, that's when the timeline has to stop.
Every team in one of the 4 top American Sports has been down to the last 8 except for the Dolphins in the last 24 years. That's NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL. That a hell of a lot of teams who have had success much more recently than us. That's not cherry picking. That is simple truth. Spinning it any other way is cherry picking.

Other than the fact you two like arguing pretty much anything ... there is no reason to get butt hurt. It's just a fact we have been failing for a long time and last year was kind of icing on the cake as everyone thought we had the talent. No way this year's team is as talented no matter what we do.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 02:54:21 pm »

The Browns haven't won their division or made the conference championship since the '80s.  But I guess since they Won A Playoff Game four years ago, that makes them a better franchise.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 02:59:24 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 02:57:01 pm »

The Browns haven't won their division or made the conference championship since the '80s.  But I guess since they Won A Playoff Game four years ago, that makes them a better franchise.
They have achieved more success in reaching the goal.

Is the goal to win the Super Bowl or be entertaining? If it is to win the Super Bowl, and I think it is, then the other stuff is fodder. How close did you get to that goal is a measurable thing and we rank dead last among all 4 leagues.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 03:01:48 pm »

They have achieved more success in reaching the goal.

Is the goal to win the Super Bowl or be entertaining? If it is to win the Super Bowl, and I think it is, then the other stuff is fodder.
The Dolphins have previously won the Super Bowl, which is the goal.
There are 12 franchises in the league that have never won the Super Bowl.
By your own logic, the Dolphins are better than those franchises.  Q.E.D.

"Top 8" and "last 24 years" are metrics you are choosing specifically so you can exclude the Dolphins.
You aren't doing "made the playoffs" because the Dolphins would qualify, and you aren't doing "top 4" because other teams would also fail that test.
You aren't doing "last 25 years" because the Dolphins would qualify, and you aren't doing "last 20 years" because other teams would also fail that test.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 03:04:31 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 03:42:22 pm »

I'm doing the last 24 years because that's what I mostly remember .... as I'm guessing most of you too. I'm happy as hell we won 2 Super Bowls but I didn't get to enjoy them as I was too young. The first Super Bowls I remember was in 83 and 85 when I was in high school. Excuse me for wanting more current successes than that. I'm tired of living off the success of guys who are now in their 70s.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 04:57:52 pm »

You... don't remember the playoff wins with JJ & Wanny?  Or making the AFC Championship in 1993?

You're picking an arbitrary point in time (exactly 24 years, not 25 or 20) and arbitrary criteria ("top 8" instead of "winning the Super Bowl") so you can reach the conclusion that the Dolphins are the worst franchise in sports.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 04:59:47 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2024, 09:01:04 am »

You... don't remember the playoff wins with JJ & Wanny?  Or making the AFC Championship in 1993?

You're picking an arbitrary point in time (exactly 24 years, not 25 or 20) and arbitrary criteria ("top 8" instead of "winning the Super Bowl") so you can reach the conclusion that the Dolphins are the worst franchise in sports.
If that helps you to sleep at night ...  but do you even remember those games? You're right. We are the greatest and are run better than any other organization. What the heck am I thinking? I believe more of us are realists when it comes to this team's failures to succeed. At best we have been "almost decent" but not really.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2024, 07:50:28 pm »

We wouldn't even be having this discussion if you had said something like "This team has been a huge disappointment for decades," or even "The Dolphins have been the worst NFL franchise of the 21st century."  But instead, you went way over the top and tried to claim that they're the worst professional franchise in the US.  So yeah, you're gonna get some pushback on that one.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2024, 04:52:23 pm »

The problem with rooting for a good team as a kid is come to expect it as permanent. Unlike Patriots fans who never saw Bledsoe, I don’t expect my team to win every year. 

If you grew up with Marino, then you had an overall net positive experience as a Dolphins fan and you formed an unrealistic set of expectations. 

The Dolphins franchise history is better than average.  In 59 years they won 2 SB.  The expected value is 1.8. They appeared in 5, expected is 3.7.  They won about 50 more games then the average would expect and have the sixth best win loss percentage out of 32 teams, only slightly behind NEP. Made the playoffs 42% of the seasons,

Dolphins aren’t contending for best Franchise history.  Depending on metric used that is either New England, Dallas, or Green Bay, but they aren’t contending for worst.  They are in the upper half, maybe even upper quarter.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2024, 08:16:33 pm »

Why do you have DAL and GB as better than PIT?

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2024, 08:25:40 pm »

Why do you have DAL and GB as better than PIT?

Dal has the highest win loss percentage of any franchise.

GreenBay has the most Championships and the most overall wins.

Not sure what metric I could use to place the Steelers in the number one spot although I will agree it is a top tier franchise. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2024, 09:55:08 pm »

Fair enough.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray