Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:15:49 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Merged: Dom Capers/ Defensive Coordinator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Merged: Dom Capers/ Defensive Coordinator  (Read 10286 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: January 23, 2006, 12:53:40 pm »

Anyone know why rumors are floating around regarding Miami's DC position? On the Phinatics site someone is hearing rumors about Venturi from the Saints and I am now seeing reports that Dom Capers is to be offered the job.

Don't we still have our DC? What a way to break the news to the guy.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 01:42:21 pm by Philly Fin Fan » Logged
bsfins
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 01:14:47 pm »

There are a few names being thrown around...from the Sun sentinal...
The Dolphins filled the only opening on their coaching staff Sunday, hiring Mike Mularkey as offensive coordinator, but he may not be the only high-profile assistant added.

A source said coach Nick Saban is trying to add another assistant to help oversee the defense.

Richard Smith and Will Muschamp essentially served as the unit's co-coordinators in 2005.

Saban, who declined comment on the situation Sunday, has a wide array of candidates because of the recent coaching upheaval across the NFL.

Saban is friends with former Houston coach Dom Capers and New Orleans defensive coordinator Rick Venturi, who may not be retained by new Saints coach Sean Payton.

Other defense-oriented coaches on the market include Joe Vitt (St. Louis), Donnie Henderson (New York Jets), Ted Cottrell (Minnesota), Jim Haslett (New Orleans), Vic Fangio (Houston) and Jerry Gray (Buffalo).

Jim Bates, who was the Dolphins' defensive coordinator from 2000 to 2004, will not be back at that post at Green Bay, but a source said a return to South Florida is unlikely.

Bates is reportedly a candidate for defensive coordinator with St. Louis and Houston.
Dphins4me
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 03:41:10 pm »

Anyone know why rumors are floating around regarding Miami's DC position? On the Phinatics site someone is hearing rumors about Venturi from the Saints and I am now seeing reports that Dom Capers is to be offered the job.

Don't we still have our DC? What a way to break the news to the guy.

From ESPN:

The Miami Dolphins are expected to name former Houston Texans head coach Dom Capers as their new defensive coordinator, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Richard Smith and Will Muschamp essentially served as the unit's co-coordinators in 2005. Smith had the title of defensive coordinator, while Muschamp's title Assistant Head Coach/Defense.

Recently dismissed as the Texans' head coach, Capers posted an 18-46 record in four seasons (2002-05), including a league-worst 2-14 mark this year. He was 31-35 in four seasons (1995-98) with the Carolina Panthers, and Capers was the first head coach in the history of both teams.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 06:17:43 pm »

Like I said before about Mularkey,  I hope this guy is a better DC than head coach.  God, what the hell is happening?  Please tell me Saban knows what he's doing...   Undecided
Dphins4me
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 08:32:45 pm »

Like I said before about Mularkey,  I hope this guy is a better DC than head coach.  God, what the hell is happening?  Please tell me Saban knows what he's doing...   Undecided
Obviously you know little about either of them.
DolFan619
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 09:35:30 pm »

God, what the hell is happening?  Please tell me Saban knows what he's doing...   Undecided

Has Coach Saban given you a reason to doubt him yet? 
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 10:05:33 pm »

Has Coach Saban given you a reason to doubt him yet? 

Not yet.  I'll defer to him on these choices, because he hasn't yet been wrong in his selection of coaches.  I would've, however, preferred Mike Martz as OC. 
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 10:22:12 pm »

God, what the hell is happening?  Please tell me Saban knows what he's doing...   

Nah, he's a total 'tard.  Hired Linehan...what's HE ever done?  Hired Hudson Houck...O-Line regressed.  Hired Charlie Bagget... Chris Chambers blew all season...Brought back Ricky...looked like he was running backwards.  Drafted Brown, Crowder, and Daniels...bust, bust, bust.  Changed the defense from a 4-3 to a hybrid 3-4...defense couldn't sack a statue.   

Have some faith, dude!  Angry

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 12:26:14 am »

hey man, have faith in the Nicktator.    once a coach is used to being a HC like these 2 guys, ESPECIALLY the building & teaching that capers has experienced, they should be MORE than qualified to handle the duties of a coord.
Tubba_Marxxx

Dolfan since i knew what i football was

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 12:31:34 am »

Nah, he's a total 'tard.  Hired Linehan...what's HE ever done?  Hired Hudson Houck...O-Line regressed.  Hired Charlie Bagget... Chris Chambers blew all season...Brought back Ricky...looked like he was running backwards.  Drafted Brown, Crowder, and Daniels...bust, bust, bust.  Changed the defense from a 4-3 to a hybrid 3-4...defense couldn't sack a statue.   

i love the dripping sarcasm....lol
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 12:39:05 am »

We'll have a staff with two guys as co-ordinators that were head coaches last season.  In addition to Saban's game plans and the other remaining underlings...

This is like an all-star dream team coaching staff!  I'm excited!
Komrade Conrad

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 06:47:26 am »

Welcome Mr. Capers, if you are reading this.

It is great to have a coach who kept friends. Let me extend my sincere condolence out to either Smith or Muschump (whomever will be fired as a result) and I hope this matter has no dark side of betrayal.

Most of the players found Saban's D kind of a learning process and it is kind of strange that after he seemed so involved in preaching his schemes last year, that he'd hand reigns over to someone else.

Miami had gone #18 in total defense in '05, a big step down from #8, though a key injury to Travis Daniels and the loss of Pat Surtain contributed to the fall. The Houston Texans? They went from a #23 ranking in '04 to next to last in '05 - unsure what happened there.

Good luck, though.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 07:20:58 am »

Obviously you know little about either of them.

DUH,  obviously.  I tell you what though,  their respective knowledge in those fields really kept them as head coaches eh?
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 07:28:46 am »

I agree, love the sarcasm also.  But at 3-7,  I know you, among many, were singing a different tune.  Especially when dude came out to the media saying that scores and records don't matter.  We all know these are rebuilding years and like I said,  I HOPE THEY ARE BETTER COORDINATORS THAN HEAD COACHES.  Because even Wannstedt as a HC had a pretty damn good defense,  his specialty.  How have these two faired in their so-called specialties?  Don't get me wrong,  I hope they kick ass,  and I do have a little faith,  but I usually go with results before I start praising people.  Following coordinators isn't my thing,  give me some stats because as of now I'm going by what they did as HC.

Houck from what I've always heard was a damn good O-line coach,  Linehan ran a pretty damn good offense in Minn.,  and those players he drafted, well,  if they sucked ass you wouldn't be talking about them now would you?  Chambers really never was a terrible receiver from what I've seen,  so getting him to play better wasn't that much of a miracle.  We shouldn't even be talking about Ricky Williams cause I was never against him coming back,  the man is flat-out talented and keeping him here to make us better doesn't take rocket science to figure out.  And the defense,  never really was a problem now was there?  We just didn't have the offense to make it respected. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 08:11:24 am by Thundergod » Logged
Komrade Conrad

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 08:09:40 am »

... I said,  I HOPE THEY ARE BETTER COORDINATORS THAN HEAD COACHES.  Because even Wannstedt as a HC had a pretty damn good defense, his specialty.

Exactly a lot of great coordinators never should have become head coaches. Its a different job. Dave Wans was brought here by JJ into a good situation, but he didn't have the skills to be in control of the situation over the long term.

Parts of Linehan's acceptance speech at Rams HQ were right out of the "we want other teams to hate playing against us," that was Saban's pre-season speil. Nicko will no longer be there to tell him, come down to the sidelines ...  listen to players.

But that's their problem. Capers is a great pick-up. He knows the Fins will have a great '06 season and he'll soon be back in the hunt for a H/C.   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 08:12:15 am by Komrade Conrad » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray