Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:37:09 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Marcus Vick invited to NFL Combine?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Marcus Vick invited to NFL Combine?  (Read 4812 times)
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« on: February 03, 2006, 09:43:53 pm »

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9206978

Along with 331 other players, all listed.

Is anyone else surprised that punk was invited?

I was surprised to see his name listed.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 10:55:07 pm »

Is anyone else surprised that punk was invited?

I'm really not that surprised...the personnel guys want to see if there is anything salvagable from Vick before discarding him. I won't be surprised either, when he goes to the combine and embarrasses himself just like Maurice Clarett did.

Unlike Clarett though, I WILL be surprised if he gets drafted.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 12:13:10 am »

I don't really mind when guys screw up, so long as they show some growth and own up to it.  My problem with Vick is that he doesn't seem to realize that he's a shithead.  That's why he's not worth taking a risk on.

I'm not surprised to see him at the combine, really, though.  The guy's character issues aside, he may have some talent, or at least 32 teams want to find out if he might.

As for the draft, though, I agree with 'Stroke...unless he's superman in the combines, I don't see him making a squad.

I drink your milkshake!
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 08:46:08 am »

I agree also.  This time away from football would give him an opportunity to change his ways.  This kid definitely has some growing up to do.  That said, he's got some talent, and a good showing at the combine might make him a Day 2 pick.  If he doesn't get drafted, I wouldn't mind seeing Saban picking him up as an undrafted free agent.  What do you have to lose if that happens?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 10:34:20 am »

You stand the chance of losing a cohesive locker room which is just as important as talent.
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 12:20:44 am »

You stand the chance of losing a cohesive locker room which is just as important as talent.

Very true. If we did get him, and he wound up starting, I'd root for Takeo Spikes to sack him, and stomp the crap out of his leg.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 07:58:26 am »

Not necessarily.  He's not T.O.   From what I saw, he never had a problem with his teammates and coaches didn't doubt his work ethic.  His problems were mainly off the field, or in one case, with the other team. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 08:26:30 pm »

My point was not that he was a TO, but the guy comes with a lot of immaturity.
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 09:17:51 pm »

Did T.O. have a history of problems before NFL stardom???

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 09:31:24 pm »

Did T.O. have a history of problems before NFL stardom???

No T.O. did not have a checkered past when he came into the NFL.  As a matter of fact, he was overshadowed by JJ Stokes as they were both drafted the same year.  Stokes was to be the main guy and T.O. the secondary receiver.  Look what happened. 

Now let's assume Vick doesn't get drafted and Saban can pick him up as an undrafted FA, hoping he may be able to compete for a starting job.  If this kid isn't mature enough, it will show in his performance on the field and he won't last long with the Dolphins.  If he can get his act together, and wind up starting, or at least develop into a capable backup,  then Saban just made a huge steal. 
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 10:01:22 pm »

Yes - If the character problems don't explode when he becomes a starter/star.

With T.O. - he didn't really hit the big time until his 2nd or 3rd year. How was his behavior/attitude before that?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/OwenTe00.htm

If Terrell didn't have character issues then why was he the 12th receiver selected?  10/11 are solid players or more, but I wouldn't consider any of them his equal.

1 1 1 Keyshawn Johnson Jets WR USC
  7 7 Terry Glenn Patriots WR Ohio State
  18 18 Eddie Kennison Rams WR Louisiana State
  19 19 Marvin Harrison Colts WR Syracuse
  20 20 Daryl Gardener Dolphins DT Baylor
  24 24 Eric Moulds Bills WR Mississippi State
2 1 31 Alex Van Dyke Jets WR Nevada
  4 34 Amani Toomer Giants WR Michigan
  11 41 Bryan Still Chargers WR Virginia Tech
  13 43 Muhsin Muhammad Panthers WR Michigan State
  22 52 Bobby Engram Bears WR Penn State
  26 56 Derrick Mayes Packers WR Notre Dame
3  18 79 Dorian Brew Dolphins DB Kansas
  19 80 Karim Abdul-Jabbar Dolphins RB UCLA
  28 89 Terrell Owens 49ers WR Tennessee-Chattanooga
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 10:08:13 pm by run_to_win » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 11:30:30 pm »

With T.O. - he didn't really hit the big time until his 2nd or 3rd year. How was his behavior/attitude before that?

When SF drafted T.O., I was thrilled, because I saw the possibility of Jerry mentoring both Stokes and Owens and maybe rubbing some of those good habits off on them. Unfortunately, Stokes was way too lazy, and T.O., from the start, wasn't very respectful of Jerry or the other players. When Jerry had a big game on sunday and Owens only had a couple of catches, you heard a lot of "sure, if they'd have thrown me that many passes, I'd have done the same" kind of comments in the paper come monday morning. In '98, when both Owens and Rice went over 1,000 yards, Owens talked about how it was "his show now."

No doubt it got worse after Mariucci-Knapp took over the offense, and Owens started cranking out the superstar numbers. A lot of his problems at that point had to do with how those two coaches coddled his ego for fear of upsetting him and causing locker room turbulence. T.O. knew he could have a tantrum and get away with it, so he did...

If Terrell didn't have character issues then why was he the 12th receiver selected? 10/11 are solid players or more, but I wouldn't consider any of them his equal.

He did have ego-based problems at UTC, and that combined with a poor showing at the combine (dropsies and then getting frustrated at himself for the dropsies) and the fact that he played at a smaller college to drop Owens down the receiver ranks in the '96 draft. I heard a reputable 49ers writer once talk about how Owens dropped because of injury concerns, but I didn't think that made any sense...Owens was never injured at UTC, was first or second team all-conference every season and even set a school record for consecutive games with a reception at one point.

No T.O. did not have a checkered past when he came into the NFL. As a matter of fact, he was overshadowed by JJ Stokes as they were both drafted the same year.

Yeah he did, and no he wasn't.  Wink ...Stokes was drafted in '95, the season before Owens. The other WR we took in the same draft as Owens was the King of Vowels himself, Iheanyi Uwaezuoke.

I still kick myself for not having a custom Uwaezuoke jersey made. Maybe some day...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 12:15:35 am »

Great stuff, thanks!

run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 01:06:37 am »

Almost as if on cue.... maybe Florio is lurking about and then making up stuff for us?   ;)  This could be a good test of the competing theories.

Quote from: PFT
POSTED 12:30 a.m. EST, February 9, 2006

T.O. VISITS FINS?
We're hearing rumors from a league source that Eagles receiver Terrell Owens visited with the Miami Dolphins on Wednesday.

If true, it would be Owens' second known visit with a potential suitor in little over a week.  Last Monday, Owens flew to Denver to meet with Broncos officials.

The Chiefs also have expressed some interest in the Pro Bowler, who will be released by Philadelphia if he is not traded before March 5.  Any trade would first require a restructuring of his contract, since as of March 5 he will be entitled to $7.5 million in bonus money.

Though we haven't had anything to say regarding Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb's recent rant that Owens committed "black-on-black crime" against him, now is as good a time as any to point out that, from a strategic standpoint, it was stoopid for McNabb to tee off on T.O. at a time when the Eagles were hoping to cultivate enough interest in Owens to trigger a trade.

Instead, McNabb loudly reminded everyone that Owens is nothing but trouble, which could make it much harder to Philly to finagle a draft pick or two.

As to the Dolphins, several veterans publicly have expressed disdain for Owens.  But plenty of guys were also pissed when Nick Saban was named the head coach in December 2004; a year and nine regular-season wins later, they're not complaining.  And if Owens can behave and perform like he did in 2004, the guys who are popping off now could be popping champagne corks come February 2007.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 01:08:12 am by run_to_win » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 01:33:37 am »

They had this story on all the local news channels this evening, including a good film shot of him driving away in his SUV. I really think he won't end up here in Miami, but the fact that Saban is talking to the guy certainly gives me reason for concern.

I'm lighting another candle tonight for T.O. to go to Dallas...or Denver. I'd be happy to watch either of those franchises implode.  Evil

~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray