Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:37:13 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Marlins taking a page out of yankees book
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Marlins taking a page out of yankees book  (Read 3503 times)
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« on: February 06, 2006, 06:19:15 pm »

Not talent or payroll wise

New Marlins manager says no to facial hair
Story Tools:         
  Print    Email    Blog This     
Associated Press
Posted: 2 hours ago     

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP) - Now that the Florida Marlins have trimmed their payroll, facial hair is next.

New manager Joe Girardi wants to see no goatees, mustaches or beards when players begin reporting for spring training Feb. 18.
A former catcher with the New York Yankees, Girardi liked owner George Steinbrenner's rule that permitted neatly trimmed mustaches but no beards or shaggy hair. Girardi's policy of no facial hair will be even stricter, and a first for the Marlins.

"I want players to look neat and responsible," Girardi said at a media luncheon Monday. "Maybe it's old school. But it's kind of neat when people are always clean, and I like it."

At 41, Girardi is the successor to 75-year-old Jack McKeon and part of a youth movement for the Marlins, who unloaded seven everyday starters, two starting pitchers and their closer to reduce the payroll.

Battling for the vacated jobs in spring training will be plenty of prospects. Some of them might struggle to grow a beard, even if allowed.

"I don't have too much facial hair, so unfortunately for me, it's not an option," said first baseman Mike Jacobs, stroking his smooth chin. "If the manager has certain things he wants his way, you have to go with it."

Girardi said his players have laughed about the rule, and he expects little resistance. He said he'll likely always prohibit facial hair, even with a veteran team.

"You have a responsibility of what you look like," he said. "You find out which players want to be disciplined in the little things. And if you can be disciplined in the little things, a lot of times you can be disciplined in the big things."

Pitchers and catchers report to the training complex in Jupiter on Feb. 18, with the rest of the squad to follow by the 21st. The first full-squad workout is Feb. 23.

Expectations are similar to 1998, when another salary purge sent the Marlins reeling to a 108-loss season a year after they won the World Series. Mike Lowell, Josh Beckett, A.J. Burnett, Carlos Delgado, Luis Castillo and Juan Pierre are among those to depart since last season.

Still, Girardi is raring to go.

"I can't wait," he said. "Baseball is a passion of mine. You take a month off, and then you miss it. I find myself watching the Caribbean World Series on TV, and there probably aren't a ton of people doing that. But I love the game.

"You manage the club you have. A lot of kids will have a lot of opportunities."

They just won't have beards.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 07:41:32 pm »

I wonder if Girardi would've chosen Florida over Tampa Bay had he known the Marlins were gonna get rid of everyone.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 08:21:19 am »

"I want players to look neat and responsible," Girardi said at a media luncheon Monday. "Maybe it's old school.

So,  having facial hair makes you irresponsible and dirty?  Wow,  that's a first for me. 
Yeah,  it is old school a$$hole,  quit trying to control people's lifestyle and start trying to figure out how your team isn't going to suck total buttloads this season.  And I'm guessing making it a fashion show isn't the way to go around by doing it. >:(   

I hate people like this.  Hey Girardi,  from now on in the dugout I need you to grow your hair shoulder length get a tatoo of an ass on your forehead and wear a tutu with the team's logo on it.  Loria said so.    Angry
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 09:51:13 am by Thundergod » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 11:50:25 am »

I'm not a big fan of coaches enforcing a facial hair policy...it just seems totally irrelevant to the task of winning baseball games.  Undecided

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 12:52:53 pm »

I'm not a big fan of coaches enforcing a facial hair policy...it just seems totally irrelevant to the task of winning baseball games.  Undecided

Agreed there.  Plus, you can have a nice beard or goatee and still be able to look neat and clean.  I don't think Girardi has ever heard of the beard trimmer. 

Some companies don't permit facial hair either.  I understand if you're working in food service, but Enterprise Rent-A-Car??
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 06:27:42 pm »

I understand people who think it's silly, but what he is trying to do is give the kids a sense of respect for themselves and the team. It's not that goatees mean you are a slob, it's that if the manager says "We will look respectable", you feel respectable.

The year Messier came to the Rangers, he tried to instill a sense of pride to the team. One day during intermission a Ranger dropped his jersey on the floor because he was changing. Messier RAN over to the floor, picked up the jersey, dusted it off and hung it by the locker. He said that jersey is a flag that they represent.

Now, shaving your moustache isn't the same thing, but that's all Girardi is trying to do. Keep in mind, the average age for the Marlins this year is probably 23, so teaching them some discipline couldn't hurt.
gocowboys31
Uber Member

F$U sucks!!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 03:23:27 pm »

I'm totally in favor of this policy. Even though im far from a yankee's fan, i respect the way steinbrenner implements this rule. He realizes his team is always in the national spotlight, and is being wacthed by everyone especially young kids. He knows these kids look up to the likes of a jeter and a-rod, so when these young impressionable kids see these guys he dosent want them looking like slobs. I know johnny damon's father loves the policy, because mr. damon was once a military man, the army if im not mistaken.

As for the marlins, know one will give a damn one way or the other. By week 6 of the baseball season the marlins will be totally irrelevant to the fans of south florida.

Some teams play for the BCS title, some teams play in the Emerald bowl.  Urban Meyer
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 04:16:06 pm »

As for the marlins, know one will give a damn one way or the other. By week 6 of the baseball season the marlins will be totally irrelevant to the fans of south florida.
More like week 3.....LOL

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 05:49:53 pm »

I think it's more of a psychological screening process.

Players that have a problem accepting such an irrelevant directive may be more independent than you want, so you automatically exclude the strong-willed players by having such a rule; they wouldn't want to play for an organization with such a petty rule.  This should (hypothetically speaking) give the manager more control over the clubhouse.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray