Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:43:46 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Do we really WANT to make the playoffs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Do we really WANT to make the playoffs?  (Read 24648 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 09:28:30 pm »

why is it every time someone says something like this ......

I agree with everything Hoodie said in this thread.

Kiss Grin

it always comes with something like this

I can't believe I'm going to say this

Angry

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2008, 11:48:39 pm »

Add another one agreeing with Hoodie. 
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 11:51:55 am »

the one year where the entire AFC is wide freaking open, and people are debating whether or not its a good idea to make it to the playoffs???

let me see, no brady, indy is not very good, kerry collins  Huh, baltimore does have a rookie qb, pitt is solid but not overwhelmingly good, etc... there is not a single team that will be in the tournament that you can look at and say, boy no way in hell the fins can win that one.

as to the argument that making the playoffs is somehow detrimental to the long term success of the team, huh??? its funny how these "name brand" teams that folks are sooo scared seeing the fins play, whom always pick in the later parts of the rounds, are always freaking good. why is that?? could it be because they have people in place that know how to acquire and develop talent no matter where they find them?

if we were to follow the logic here, damn, the lions would best team in the nfl.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 01:19:17 pm »

there is not a single team that will be in the tournament that you can look at and say, boy no way in hell the fins can win that one.
I think this is where we differ....

You look at "wow, 7 wins in 8 games, we must be the best team ever!"

I look at "nice, we won 7 our of 8, but we're still not THAT good of a team"

I think if you take a step back, stop being a fan for a second, and take an objective look at the team, you will realize that, hey, maybe the Dolphins aren't that good, and maybe they're just setting us all up for heartbreak again, like they do every other year.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 02:08:14 pm »

I think if you take a step back, stop being a fan for a second, and take an objective look at the team, you will realize that, hey, maybe the Dolphins aren't that good, and maybe they're just setting us all up for heartbreak again, like they do every other year.

I challenge you on this.  Due to what has happened in the past I think that you are not looking objectively as this team.  You're doing what you are accusing others of; looking at this team as a fan that has had his heart broken too often in the past.

What part of Miami "isn't that good?"  The potentially historic lack of turnovers on offense?  10 for the year, so far - the NFL record is 14.  The QB was a QB rating of 93 with over 3,000 yards passing and closing in on 15 TDs?  The running back duo, both with over 500 yards?  The wide receiving core that no one would know with out a jersey on that seems to make big play after big play?  The defense that has not allowed a touchdown in three games (two of which were on the road)?

Does Miami have some glaring holes?  Yes.  Pretty horrific at 3rd and long.  That said there is another side to that coin, they aren't taking chances and that is paying off.  Special teams is a little scary.  But that secondary is starting to ramp up.  The linebacker play is getting better.  We lack a pass rush, but the run defense is improving. 

I can poke massive holes in the Titans, Steelers, Patriots (who we beat, mind you), Denver and any other AFC playoff bound team.

This is not 2007.  Shit, this isn't 2002.  I challenge YOU to stop looking at this team as yesterday's team and appreciate the potential that THIS YEAR'S team brings to the table.  That isn't coming from a rose colored glasses place, that's coming from a realistic view point.

This team could make some noise in the playoffs. 

And even if they were one and done, so fucking what?  Miami was one and FIFTEEEN a year ago.  And you're complaining that they might get outclassed in the playoffs?

That's like starving to death and someone handing you food and you bitching because it doesn't have mayo on it.  Pretty silly, really.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 02:11:43 pm »

You look at "wow, 7 wins in 8 games, we must be the best team ever!"

i don't recall ever saying anything like that, and you're mistaken in your assertion that thats what i think.

the dolphins beat some good teams, lost to some bad ones, same as every other contender this year in the afc. its a parity  league, and without a true head and shoulders better team this year in the afc (brady pats or colts), it is truly wide open.

its fun as a dolfan to FINALLY be back in the conversation heading into late december. i hate bagging on the miami fanbase, because personally i watch and follow the team no matter what (and i know that a significant number do as well), but... with the silly logic to this thread you realize why the team would have trouble selling out a home playoff game with what seems forever ago now. i mean if you're not the #1 seed, what's the point right???
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2008, 02:53:30 pm »

I can poke massive holes in the Titans, Steelers, Patriots (who we beat, mind you), Denver and any other AFC playoff bound team.

I would agree with the Patsies and Broncos, but I think that the Titans and the Steelers are both teams that fall into the "that team will kick our ass" group. I'm happy as hell the way Miami has played this season, and I WANT them to make the playoffs (just to clinch Sparano's coach of the year award)...but I have no expectations at this point. We've exceeded all estimations that we had for this season, and if we make it to the playoffs and go one and done...then, to quote Happy Harry Hardon..."So be it!" Making the playoffs won't affect our rebuilding job in any significant negative way. Conversely, a little taste of the playoffs would be good for the young players on the roster...get them to feel like they "belong" in the playoffs...every season.

So... Go Phins!! Pick up David's sling and chuck a sharp rock at the big ugly fukker's head!!

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2008, 03:17:41 pm »

Maine, I AM looking at this season.  Granted, I may be jaded by ghosts of seasons past, but how can you blame me?

Let's look at the Patriots.  We killed them in New England, mostly because of a "gadget" formation they had never seen before an had no way to stop.  No adjustment, and a backup QB making just his 2nd start.  Not surprising - that week New England was a BAD team.

That same New England team, now with a QB 10 starts deep, came into our house and wiped the turf with us.

If that's an indication of what we'll see in the playoffs, I'm not sure I want to endure another 62-7 smashing at the hands of a team we "should be able to beat".

Not saying I wouldn't be elated as hell to watch them take the AFC East banner into the postseason, but I guess the agony of these type of losses hurt me infinitely more than the joy of some accomplishment that, at the end of the day, really doesn't mean anything.
bsfins
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 03:30:40 pm »

Just the Way I see this....
Where are the quality wins? Who did we beat,that makes you guy’s we can beat the elite teams in the league?

New England Patriots?- Matt Cassel was Starting his Second game since High school, when we played them….When we Played them in Miami 6 weeks later they rolled up 48 points against us…..

The San Diego Chargers?  West coast team playing ion the east coast, Gimpy L.Tomlinson,No Shawn Merriman,…They fired their Defensive Coodinator  lik3 3 weeks later….They aren’t the Dominating Chargers they’ve been in years past…

Buffalo Bills, in Miami The Bills Best Corner was coming off Knee injury, Missing their Best Pass rusher Arron Schobel Ginn had a big Game…Game Two In Toronto, Could we get a bigger advantage…Not even in Buffalo, in a dome, Playing Against the Back up Qb….

Denver Broncos?  Ok maybe except Denver was Missing Champ Baily, Lost D.J Williams, M.Mcree,and Starting Running Back M.Pittman….Their Defense was already sucking…..

Seattle Seahawks? Another West Coast Teams Traveling from the Most Northwest Corner of the Lower 48 states,to the Most SE point in the Lower 48 states, Playing with their 3rd,and 4th Wr’s and Back up Qb that was injured…..Win by 3 points

Oakland Raiders? Wow How many west coast teams had to make this journey already? Not exactly a scarey team,With A beat up Darren Mcfaddon,and J. Russell…A last minute 2 point win….

At  St Louis?…Yeah it was a road game, but Steven Jackson (probably their best player) couldn’t even play the 4th quarter,after returning from missing the past 3  games?

The SF 49ers? Another west coast team, Missing there biggest offensive weapon in Frank Gore….

So which one of these wins am I supposed to hang my hat on, as a Game that makes us in the Class of those Elite teams? How many Franchise Qb’s  have we played? Jay Cutler….

Now we’re missing probably our best Wr, and (Possibly) our Best O-lineman…

I just feel like Too many Dolphin fans se us win a few games ,and think we can beat anyone...When we lose they want to get rid of half the team....

Flame away....
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 03:41:22 pm »

Maine, I AM looking at this season.  Granted, I may be jaded by ghosts of seasons past, but how can you blame me?

Let's look at the Patriots.  We killed them in New England, mostly because of a "gadget" formation they had never seen before an had no way to stop.  No adjustment, and a backup QB making just his 2nd start.  Not surprising - that week New England was a BAD team.

That same New England team, now with a QB 10 starts deep, came into our house and wiped the turf with us.

If that's an indication of what we'll see in the playoffs, I'm not sure I want to endure another 62-7 smashing at the hands of a team we "should be able to beat".

Not saying I wouldn't be elated as hell to watch them take the AFC East banner into the postseason, but I guess the agony of these type of losses hurt me infinitely more than the joy of some accomplishment that, at the end of the day, really doesn't mean anything.

I considered that line of thinking flawed.  And I also say it is the flip side of Dolphin fans celebrating last years superbowl as if it was the '72 superbowl.

Losing 62-7 in the superbowl is better than than losing the AFCCG.  Losing the AFCCG is better than losing on division weekend.  Losing on division weekend is better than losing on wildcard weekend.  And going one and done in the playoffs is better than not playing in the playoffs.  And going 18-1 is better than going 1-15.

Only one team's fan base is truly going to be happy this year.  But you seem to be saying, "I would rather face disappointment at the meadowlands week 17, than the following week or the week after that."  Odds are you are going to be disappointed at some point.  But why not have as much fun, for as long as you can before the disappointment hits? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2008, 12:13:22 am »

Hoodie, I give you props. You are a true football fan, and the times I have really gotten pissed at you were in political threads that have nothing to do with football. I shouldnt let that carry over to the football threads.

Anyway, I was talking with my rep with the Phins, and I asked him what the buzz was down there about the playoffs. He told me that the team attitude was 3 words..."Why not us?"

I think that sums it up very nicely. We control our own destiny, and we can do it. So, we win out, why the hell NOT us?

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2008, 01:58:08 am »

OF COURSE you want to get into the playoffs.  However, the way the NFL is now, what will be worth watching is what we do next year.  Teams will have an entire year worth of film to look at.  Remember Wanny and Nick the Dick?  Great first years, huge expectations, declining records.  Remember if we win the division we'll have to play Pittsburgh Denver and Tennessee next year all three of them will be tough to beat even if their records are worse next year than they are this year. 

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2008, 06:47:43 am »

I think there's a good chance of a "sophomore slump", if only because the Dolphins have overperformed this year. Yeah, yeah, a win is a win and all that counts is your record. Fine, but that has lower correlation with future performance than any number of other metrics - and by all those, we overperformed.

And that's even disregarding the HUGE scheduling issue. There's just no way we get as easy a schedule next year - not because of how we've done this year, but simply because we're not going to be matched with the AFC West and NFC West (both of whom could still wind up sending an 8-8 division champ to the playoffs!).

Instead of the Cardinals, 49ers, Seahawks and Rams we'll face the Panthers, Falcons, Buccaneers and Saints. That's a jump from 18 combined wins to 36 combined wins (using todays standings). Any way you look at it, that's going to be a lot tougher.

And instead of the Broncos, Chargers, Raiders and Chiefs, we'll see the Titans, Colts, Texans and Jaguars. That's a jump in combined wins from 19 to 35. No doubt a much harder group of teams, baring some collective collapses, of course.

Our best hope is to parley our over-achievement into luring some quality free agents. Otherwise, I'd be content with 8-8 next year.
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2008, 09:39:20 am »

i can see it now... dolphins playing in a frigid game where they never have success, tough crowd on the road, against a team with nothing to lose, etc...

they lose, omg this team sucks, they can't even beat the chiefs, told you so, blah blah blah

they win, big deal, its not like they beat the steelers or something. that team sucks, they haven't played anybody, wait till next week, blah blah blah

the freaking fickle dolphin fans can't enjoy anything with this team, and will never be happy with anything. the act is soooo tired, like crabby, cranky old men and reminds me of those debbie downer skits on snl. good grief, not only can we find ways to dismiss unexpected success this year, but now we are looking at how this will foreshadow crappy teams the next few years.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 09:42:15 am by dolfan13 » Logged
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2008, 09:56:57 am »

i can see it now... dolphins playing in a frigid game where they never have success, tough crowd on the road, against a team with nothing to lose, etc...

they lose, omg this team sucks, they can't even beat the chiefs, told you so, blah blah blah

they win, big deal, its not like they beat the steelers or something. that team sucks, they haven't played anybody, wait till next week, blah blah blah

the freaking fickle dolphin fans can't enjoy anything with this team, and will never be happy with anything. the act is soooo tired, like crabby, cranky old men and reminds me of those debbie downer skits on snl. good grief, not only can we find ways to dismiss unexpected success this year, but now we are looking at how this will foreshadow crappy teams the next few years.

Q.F.T.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray