Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:56:37 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Do we really WANT to make the playoffs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Do we really WANT to make the playoffs?  (Read 24670 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« on: December 17, 2008, 10:55:06 am »

Of course, any given Sunday, blah blah blah...

What do the Dolphins gain (other than fan satisfaction and a great story) by making the playoffs this year?

I think it was a foregone conclusion preseason that the Dolphins would be the AFC East cellar, barely breaking 5 wins.  Some of us even got laughed at when we predicted a 0.500 finish.

However, now that the playoffs are in sight and *gasp* possibly a division title, I gotta ask - What's the point?

Does anyone here really think that the Dolphins have the tools to beat the likes of Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Indy, or Tennessee?  We'll be one-and-done.  All the while putting our draft pick for 2009 in the 20's.  For a rebuilding team, this is catastrophic.

Now, I'm not recommending the Dolphins sandbag and drop the next 2 on purpose in favor of a higher draft pick.  That's a NFL mortal sin.  However, logistically, as a fan - this team playing a first-place schedule next season has me in fits.  It delays the rebuilding to a championship level by 2 or 3 seasons, by solidifying next season's record back to sub-500 status.

Don't get me wrong, I think this team has made great strides in the right direction, but I keep going back to the fact that we've played one of the league's weakest schedules.  Only 6 games up to now (out of 14) against teams above 0.500 and we've lost all but two (Denver and New England).  Assuming the Dolphins win the division and make the playoffs as the #3 seed (cause Denver sucks more), we'll likely draw Indy or Baltimore in the wild card round.  Both of these teams could trounce the Dolphins if they wanted to, and one of them already has.

So I ask you, is it really worth it to mortgage our future seasons just to have a feel-good story this year?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:58:07 am by Brian Fein » Logged
bsfins
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 11:03:12 am »

Some people are too Blind to look at the big picture,and too many Fair wether fans Spent too much Cash on Dolphins Gear in the past,see other than us Getting back to the playoffs....Winning record...Stuff like that....I would have been very happy with 6 wins this year,Estatic over 8 wins...Now,I'm a little worried that the Media is gonna jump all over us next year,It will be the Vogue thing to Pick the Dolphins for a big Playoff run,too many Fans will buy into it....Then Will get a big let down,if we don't make the playoffs,or fall back...

We've touched on this the past few weeks on TDMMC Saturday night.....
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:04:55 am »

Of course, any given Sunday, blah blah blah...

What do the Dolphins gain (other than fan satisfaction and a great story) by making the playoffs this year?

I think it was a foregone conclusion preseason that the Dolphins would be the AFC East cellar, barely breaking 5 wins.  Some of us even got laughed at when we predicted a 0.500 finish.

However, now that the playoffs are in sight and *gasp* possibly a division title, I gotta ask - What's the point?

Does anyone here really think that the Dolphins have the tools to beat the likes of Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Indy, or Tennessee?  We'll be one-and-done.  All the while putting our draft pick for 2009 in the 20's.  For a rebuilding team, this is catastrophic.

Now, I'm not recommending the Dolphins sandbag and drop the next 2 on purpose in favor of a higher draft pick.  That's a NFL mortal sin.  However, logistically, as a fan - this team playing a first-place schedule next season has me in fits.  It delays the rebuilding to a championship level by 2 or 3 seasons, by solidifying next season's record back to sub-500 status.

Don't get me wrong, I think this team has made great strides in the right direction, but I keep going back to the fact that we've played one of the league's weakest schedules.  Only 6 games up to now (out of 14) against teams above 0.500 and we've lost all but two (Denver and New England).  Assuming the Dolphins win the division and make the playoffs as the #3 seed (cause Denver sucks more), we'll likely draw Indy or Baltimore in the wild card round.  Both of these teams could trounce the Dolphins if they wanted to, and one of them already has.

So I ask you, is it really worth it to mortgage our future seasons just to have a feel-good story this year?

I don't think the little bit further Miami's sliding down the draft order a little bit due to their overachieving is going to hurt much at all, much less be "catastrophic." We're talking about the difference between maybe 18-19 and 23-24 here and, looking back at past first rounds, I think you can get the same quality player in one slot as the other.

With Miami having Ireland and Sparano picking players, I am not so worried about it...because I am confident that they will select a player who fits what they're trying to build here.

So, to answer the question...yeah, I think after last year, a feel good story like this year is a good thing and don't think we're mortgaging any part of the future by writing the story.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:34:24 am »

A chance to win the SB. 

Did anyone think that the 2001 Patriots would be anything but one and done?  I can't confirm this but it is rumored BB remarked after the SB, "I won the SB with this team?"

The Giants had zero chance last year of even getting to the SB let alone winning it.  I don't even know why any of the teams even bothered showing up for the playoffs last year everyone knew after the Patriots defeated the Colts week 10 who was going to win the SB.

There was no way the wild card 2005 Steelers were going any where.  Why even bother playing?

The Dolphins might not make the playoffs they, they might go one and done.  But you have to play to win. 

Brian your post makes no sense. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
bsfins
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 11:40:46 am »

A chance to win the SB. 

Did anyone think that the 2001 Patriots would be anything but one and done?  I can't confirm this but it is rumored BB remarked after the SB, "I won the SB with this team?"

The Giants had zero chance last year of even getting to the SB let alone winning it.  I don't even know why any of the teams even bothered showing up for the playoffs last year everyone knew after the Patriots defeated the Colts week 10 who was going to win the SB.

There was no way the wild card 2005 Steelers were going any where.  Why even bother playing?

The Dolphins might not make the playoffs they, they might go one and done.  But you have to play to win. 

Brian your post makes no sense. 

I'm going to disagree..The Giants thought themselves Superbowl contenders,it's the Media gave them no chance....I also think it's exposes the teams that played the Weaker schedule....Those teams in the past that tend to have a great record,yet,didn't really play alot of Quality teams....
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 11:47:39 am »

i agree with "mgwah" .. brian .. you're on crack ..

winning is the point of winning .. win every possible game you can and go as far as you can

losing serves no purpose
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:49:36 am »

I'm going to disagree..The Giants thought themselves Superbowl contenders,it's the Media gave them no chance....I also think it's exposes the teams that played the Weaker schedule....Those teams in the past that tend to have a great record,yet,didn't really play alot of Quality teams....

And Chad Pennington, Joey Porter, Ricky Williams, Parcells, Saprano, etc have told you they don't think of themselves as SB contenders. 

Once again fans and media. 

Any player or coach on the Dolphin's squad that doesn't think they can win the SB, should not be in the NFL.  Same deal for any player or coach on any team that is not completely eliminated. 

bsfins
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 11:51:48 am »

And you just made my point.... Roll Eyes

We really didn't play anybody...Doesn't mean we can win against the big boys..The Best team we've played all year is The Ravens..

But the Point Just because they Believe it, doesn't make it true.....The Cincinnati Bengals thought they were Superbowl contenders too...

I'd prefer to Just miss the Playoffs this year,than take the Chances of a 62-7 type game...(I think we could beat a team like Denver again,but thier record is just about as weak as Ours IMO)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 11:57:35 am by Lil B » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 12:07:46 pm »

And you just made my point.... Roll Eyes

We really didn't play anybody...Doesn't mean we can win against the big boys..The Best team we've played all year is The Ravens..

But the Point Just because they Believe it, doesn't make it true.....The Cincinnati Bengals thought they were Superbowl contenders too...

I'd prefer to Just miss the Playoffs this year,than take the Chances of a 62-7 type game...(I think we could beat a team like Denver again,but thier record is just about as weak as Ours IMO)

As for beating nobody.  You beat last years AFC Champions.  And if the Dolphins win the division it will be by beating the a Farve lead offense. 

As for missing the playoffs vs losing 62 - 7 in the playoffs.  That is a personal preference.  I personally was trilled with the '85 Patriots season.  We got destroyed in the SB, but it was the first time my team was ever in the big dance.  I would rather have a season like the Pats had last year than the one the Dolphins did.  The SB loss was disappointing but the Patriots had great season, better than 30 other teams, only one team had a better season.  I think the Bills fans should be proud of their teams 4 times back to back wins of the AFCCG, not embarrassed by 4 SB losses. 

bsfins
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 12:20:47 pm »

There's bit of a difference...We were 1-15 last year,Let's not Kid ourselves....We're not one of the top teams,Our Record is inflated by winning against Bottom feeders....(and we haven't exactly been putting any of them away convicingly....

The 2005 Steelers were 15-1 in 2004....They had a Reason to Believe they could do it...They didn't Gut 3/4 of their Roster.....The Giants Were 8-8 in 2006,and play in tough Division....(Which I think Helped them in the Playoffs...)

As much I think the Win against the Pats early in the year was good,It was Against Matt Cassel starting his second third game in like a decade...Even the Game Against Baltimore,Flacco has seen more,and Grown up alot since then...

I actually Predict the Jets to Lose to Seattle this weekend....The Jet's are pretenders also....
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 12:46:32 pm »

Yes, I want Miami in the playoffs. I think anyone who thinks otherwise isn't a real fan. Not wanting them to make the playoffs in essence means you want them to lose games. I never want Miami to lose games.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 01:00:48 pm »

the argument of convincingly vs. unconvincingly is crap

we beat the 49ers .. was it convincing ? .. absolutely it was .. i was very convinced that after the game was over we had won

or would you rather have a result like the jets did against the 49ers ..

there's also no such thing as "overperforming" or "underperforming" .. a team is exactly as good as it's record states .. no more and no less. The dolphins are a 9-5 team and if they win out .. they are a 11-5 team .. that's the end of it .. period .. end of story

as far as talking about this season's record as "inflated" .. what does that mean .. it's not inflated .. there isn't a bunch of hot air behind our record .. our record is exactly what it is we beat who we're supposed to beat .. that makes us better than all the teams that haven't.

do you think the jets record is inflated as well since they played the same teams we did ?
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 01:03:37 pm »

I can't believe I'm reading some of these posts....no one thought we were going to pull off this type of season...looks like no one believes we can make it anywhere in the playoffs either....I believed we would have this sort of season, and I believe if we do make the playoffs, we can win at least one playoff game...say we play Baltimore...they stomped us good the first go around, but I think the team and coaches learned from that...they won't have the same game plan...Indy isn't all that impressive to me, I think we have a shot at beating them...they have barely gotten past some pretty poor teams as well...all of that is for naught if we don't make the playoffs though.

So to answer you question, hell yes I really want to make the playoffs.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 01:04:03 pm »

I look at teams like the Titans and see teams that pull wins out of their ass.  I don't see one team in this league that is vastly superior to another.  

Making the playoffs gives you a SHOT.  I personally want that shot.  

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Rick
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 01:14:01 pm »

Why the hell would any Miami Dol-fan not want the Phins to make the playoffs??...This team could win in the playoffs.....the defense hasn't given up a TD in 3 games.... 10 turnovers for the ENTIRE season....sounds like a playoff team to me.

The Phins are going to have the greatest single season turn around in NFL history....the playoffs are a great reward for the guys who busted their asses in camp and during the season to WIN football games and go from 1-15 to 11-5.

It also gives the young guys the experience of post-season play...Miami will be a contender for years to come (thanks to Parcells/Ireland/Sparano), so post-season action would be good for the guys who never played in a playoff game...why have them play in their 1st post-season game when Miami is 13-3??...get some experience now, see what the atmosphere of the playoffs is like and go from there...if Miami wins out GREAT, if not it is a learning experience to build on.

Its just not football without something to pass around!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray