Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:45:45 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  18 game season (split off)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: 18 game season (split off)  (Read 25377 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« on: January 10, 2011, 05:23:06 pm »

18 game schedule is how they make it works.

--More revenue coming in for everyone to split up. More games=more money across the board
--Union will be happy because they will inist on expanding the 53 man roster to 55 or 56 or so with more games now being played. Which means almost 100 more members paying union dues. Adding to their pot

It's a win-win for everyone.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:09:00 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 05:29:29 pm »

18 game schedule is how they make it works.

That's the most obvious solution, yes, but it has a LOT of problems... including the fact that playing time of top players wouldn't decrease (baring injury) unless there are a lot of meaningless games, which would lead to lower ratings (and thus a smaller future pot).

It's an interesting discussion, one I'm sure we'll revisit this off season... maybe even in its own thread Wink
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:50:24 pm »

That's the most obvious solution, yes, but it has a LOT of problems... including the fact that playing time of top players wouldn't decrease (baring injury) unless there are a lot of meaningless games, which would lead to lower ratings (and thus a smaller future pot).

It's an interesting discussion, one I'm sure we'll revisit this off season... maybe even in its own thread Wink

Lower ratings? Are you insane! The TV ratings would be as big if not bigger.  Meaningless games? How would there be more meaningless games? That makes zero sense. You are losing 2 preseason (meaningless games). And adding 2 regular season (MEANINGFUL) games!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:55:50 pm »

You are losing 2 preseason (meaningless games). And adding 2 regular season (MEANINGFUL) games!

Meaningless games aren't just preseason.  Patriots-Dolphins game this year was meaningless. 

With the longer season it is possible you might have move of the 12 play off spots locked up sooner. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 06:04:30 pm »

Lower ratings? Are you insane! The TV ratings would be as big if not bigger.  Meaningless games? How would there be more meaningless games? That makes zero sense. You are losing 2 preseason (meaningless games). And adding 2 regular season (MEANINGFUL) games!

Do you actually read what people post or do you just get off on writing that pathetic diatribe?

There were TWO parts to my comment. They were connected. Please read.

If top players were to get less playing time through an increase in roster spots, this would come only by way of an increase in meaningless games. Such meaningless games would result in lower ratings (than games with meaning). I did not speak as to the likelihood of an increase in meaningless games to begin with, although it would certainly seem possible to devise a structure that created that possibility.

Am I insane? I don't think so, but I'm getting more convinced by the day that your sole intent here is to ratchet up the rhetoric, insult as many people as you can, and be as arrogant while doing it as at all possible.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 06:30:49 pm »

Meaningless games aren't just preseason.  Patriots-Dolphins game this year was meaningless. 

With the longer season it is possible you might have move of the 12 play off spots locked up sooner. 

The final week of every season you will have those games. Whether its a 14 game season, 16, or 18 game season. Final weeks some teams will have things clinched. Can't avoid that
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 06:34:03 pm »

Do you actually read what people post or do you just get off on writing that pathetic diatribe?

There were TWO parts to my comment. They were connected. Please read.

If top players were to get less playing time through an increase in roster spots, this would come only by way of an increase in meaningless games. Such meaningless games would result in lower ratings (than games with meaning). I did not speak as to the likelihood of an increase in meaningless games to begin with, although it would certainly seem possible to devise a structure that created that possibility.

Considering ESPN just paid the NFL $2 billion a season extension for like the next 10 years, I don't think Ratings are an issue.   Roll Eyes
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 06:37:02 pm »

Considering ESPN just paid the NFL $2 billion a season extension for like the next 10 years, I don't think Ratings are an issue.   Roll Eyes

You can roll your eyes all you want (although it speaks volumes of your contributions), but if you don't think the NFL ALWAYS considers ratings an issue, YOU are insane.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 06:57:27 pm »

You can roll your eyes all you want (although it speaks volumes of your contributions), but if you don't think the NFL ALWAYS considers ratings an issue, YOU are insane.

Of course its considered. But its a non issue

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP803819da98b34032b1a5d96604eb35e4.html

And last week ESPN gave the NFL $2 billion a year for 10 years for a MNF contract extension.
 ($20 billion)

Don't really think Ratings are an issue for the NFL!
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 07:53:33 pm »

How about they stop fucking up the game and leave the schedule alone?

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 08:49:13 pm »

How about they stop fucking up the game and leave the schedule alone?

they are making it better! Expanded rosters. More games. Season ticket holders pay for less preseason games and get meaningful REGULAR season games at the same price.

They are improving the game
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 09:31:17 pm »

I'm all for ditching the preseason games, but more regular season games means more season ending injuries, and a watered down schedule.  Every game matters so much right now and I like that.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 09:42:37 pm »

I'm all for ditching the preseason games, but more regular season games means more season ending injuries, and a watered down schedule.  Every game matters so much right now and I like that.

how do you "water down a schedule"?

Seriously, I'm just curious how that happens? I have never heard of such a thing.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 09:16:20 am »

^^^You must not get into baseball discussions then. Seriously compare the NFL's 16 game every game is so important situation with the 162 game schedule in baseball (sorry enthusiasts but football games weigh heavier during the course of a season) and tell me how more games doesn't water down a schedule.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 09:44:06 am »

Their could be an interesting caveat to an 18 game schedule.  You could also change the scheduling system so that every team in the AFC would play every other team in the AFC and do the same for the NFC.  Each team could play the other 3 teams in their division 2 games a year and play the other 12 teams in the conference once each.  This would eliminate AFC/NFC matchups but since the AFC and NFC don't meet in the playoffs until the SuperBowl, everyone within a conference would play the exact same schedule except for within their own division.  Strength of schedule would no longer really be an issue for determining playoff spots.

I doubt the NFL would do it because of losing the AFC/NFC matchups, but it's an interesting possibility.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray