Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:02:41 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Braylon Edwards to be a Dolphin??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Braylon Edwards to be a Dolphin??  (Read 2952 times)
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« on: July 29, 2012, 12:10:03 pm »

"Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald confirms the earlier report that free agent WR Braylon Edwards worked out for the Dolphins and says he has a "serious" chance of being signed.

Salguero also mentioned that the team is interested in disgruntled Mike Wallace, should be become available. It sounds like new coach Joe Philbin is quickly realizing that his team is very weak at wide receiver. Chad Johnson and Edwards could realistically end up starting for Miami this season. Davone Bess' slot role doesn't figure to change, making Brian Hartline the big loser if Edwards is signed and makes the 53-man roster. Jul. 29 - 10:57 am et"

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=3126&line=236611&spln=1

-EK
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:21:48 pm »

Pittsburgh won't give up Wallace easily and will be far more than Miami is willing to give up. Edwards is a possibility, but just like Chad Johnson, he'll have to show he can still make plays. Hartline isn't healthy right now, this sounds a lot more like trying to find someone in case Hartline isn't healthy to start the season.

I don't know why everyone is just assuming that Hartline is going to be the loser if Johnson plays. Bess had his playing time cut into last year, it could be Bess' playing time that is cut again. Now that's assuming that Hartline is healthy, because if he isn't then that will certainly change things.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 12:24:13 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
el diablo
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:24:55 pm »

Sign Edwards! They can't be any worse off. The reason Hartline might be a casualty, is the lack of use in the 4 wide formation. That's why I would see him being a "loser" in that situation.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:50:34 pm »

Neither Edwards nor Ocho are going to be in the slot.
Bess is a better slot receiver than Hartline.
This obviously impacts Hartline.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 01:47:33 pm »

Neither Edwards nor Ocho are going to be in the slot.
True, but Edwards isn't even on the team and Ocho can play on the opposite side of Hartline if he starts and effectively take Marshall's spot, that doesn't necessarily impact Hartline. And they are going to be playing a west coast offense which doesn't really have a #1 and #2, so even if Ocho starts, Hartline's catches could still increase this year. Bess will get his catches from the slot that's a given, but how many is the question.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Landshark
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 03:03:53 pm »

They're looking at Edwards because Wallace will be too costly.  The Dolphins current receivers do not scare anyone.  I don't mind them bringing Edwards in, but he needs to earn a roster spot just like Ocho Cinco.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 03:12:24 pm »

Edwards (when healthy) can play and produce. His problem has always been between his ears and off the field. He's dumb and he is always in trouble. No two ways about it.

On the field I like him more than Ochocinco and think he has a much higher upside than Ochocinco at this stage in both of their careers so I wouldn't be upset by the move. If they sign Edwards he might be competing with Ochocinco for one spot actually. I don't know if they would carry both. I mean how many WR's are they gonna carry. You already got Hartline, Bess, Gates, Nanee, Ochocinco, Wallace, Pruitt, and Moore. Not to mention the rookies they drafted Cunningham and Matthews.

I would be surprised if they cut a bunch of kids and kept all old WR's. I don't see that happening.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 03:23:39 pm by MikeO » Logged
tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 03:16:30 pm »

Chad Johnson and Braylon Edwards.  Would've been a nasty duo about 5 years ago..now it's nothing but question marks

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 03:22:36 pm »

Pittsburgh won't give up Wallace easily and will be far more than Miami is willing to give up.

A 3rd or 4th round pick is all it would take to land Wallace reports are saying. Because whatever team signs him would need to make him one of the higher paid WR's in the league. It's not about the draft pick its the contract.

Teams will either pay a guy or give up a lot of picks for a guy. Rarely do they do both!
Landshark
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 04:46:44 pm »

A 3rd or 4th round pick is all it would take to land Wallace reports are saying. Because whatever team signs him would need to make him one of the higher paid WR's in the league. It's not about the draft pick its the contract.

Teams will either pay a guy or give up a lot of picks for a guy. Rarely do they do both!

Really?  I'm getting other reports that Wallace isn't even on the trading block.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/29/steelers-g-m-wallace-not-available-for-trade/
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 05:07:47 pm »

True, but Edwards isn't even on the team and Ocho can play on the opposite side of Hartline if he starts and effectively take Marshall's spot, that doesn't necessarily impact Hartline.
The point is that acquiring Edwards would impact Hartline, for the reasons I just mentioned.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 07:26:20 pm »

Really?  I'm getting other reports that Wallace isn't even on the trading block.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/29/steelers-g-m-wallace-not-available-for-trade/

Well who to believe. There were a ton of rumors yesterday that he was on the block. The GM said today he isn't because he had to address all the stories out there. But that might be a ploy. Bottom line is for the right price he might be able to be had. Nobody knows
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:28:30 pm by MikeO » Logged
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 07:26:51 pm »

The point is that acquiring Edwards would impact Hartline, for the reasons I just mentioned.

Jeff Darlington is now reporting that there is no indication Miami will sign Edwards

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin confirmed during a Sunday media session that Edwards worked out for the team last Tuesday. According to NFL.com and NFL Network's Jeff Darlington, there is no indication that Edwards will be signed.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 09:16:19 am »

Likewise it would seem with Wallace.

"Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace isn't going anywhere this year. That's the word out of Steelers training camp, where general manager Kevin Colbert told ESPN's Ed Werder on Saturday, "Mike Wallace is not available for trade."

This ends speculation that the Steelers were going to move Wallace after signing wide receiver Antonio Brown to a five-year, $42.5 million extension on Friday."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/51494/steelers-are-right-in-not-trading-wallace

-EK
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 10:24:54 am »

After all the crap Edwards talked about the Dolphins after they passed on him to draft Ronnie Brown, why would he want to sign here?

Personally, no thanks.

He has suspect hands, and with our QB ad sub-par as it is, we can't afford another big time WR with questionable hands.

There are 12 WR's in camp right now.  I'd rather roll with Hartline and Johnson and give BJ Cunningham or Julius Pruitt a shot.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray