Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:24:20 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Replacement Refs [merged x2]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Replacement Refs [merged x2]  (Read 41739 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« on: September 09, 2012, 11:56:29 pm »

Aside from giving Seattle a 4th timeout, overall they weren't bad. It is going to take a royal F' up that costs a team a game for the NFL to cave and bring back the regular refs.

If Seattle scores a TD there and Arizona loses this would be the lead story of the weekend though. NFL caught a break that Arizona's defense stood tall.
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 12:03:28 am »

Really?  I thought they were atrocious.  They even screwed up the 2 minute warning in Denver tonight.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:04:58 am »

Really?  I thought they were atrocious.  They even screwed up the 2 minute warning in Denver tonight.

The regular refs were never perfect either.
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 01:36:57 am »

But the regular refs didn't botch the basic fundamentals of officiating like these rubes did.  If anything, screwing up a 2 minute warning on national TV only helped the real ref's cause.  They looked like scabs who don't have enough experience for the job they're being asked to do.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 06:30:04 am »

But the regular refs didn't botch the basic fundamentals of officiating like these rubes did.  If anything, screwing up a 2 minute warning on national TV only helped the real ref's cause.  They looked like scabs who don't have enough experience for the job they're being asked to do.

The regular refs screwed up a coin flip.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 10:20:32 am »

From the games I saw, the replacement refs looked pretty spot on. Sure, they missed some calls (like the block in the back in the GB vs SF game) and did take a little more time than usual when making calls, but I didn't see anything that cost anyone a game. That's not to say that won't happen as we all saw some horrible PI calls go against the Dolphins in the preseason that could ruin a game.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 11:08:18 am »

The regular refs screwed up a coin flip.

This should end any discussion of replacements vs. regulars. Great post. -EK
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 11:34:07 am »

I think the replacement did very well.  Every week, we have complained about blown calls -- this time, it seemed like less of an issue.  They didn't "over-officiate".  Sure, some things were clunky and some things were botched, but I assume that these will improve.  So far, they've done as admirable a job as the regular refs, in my opinion.

I drink your milkshake!
tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 12:17:39 pm »

this wasn't a big deal.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 12:58:05 pm »

If I'm a ref, I'm telling my union rep to get me back on the field in record time...or I'm going back to work.  In 2 weeks NO ONE will even know they are replacement refs.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 01:31:42 pm »

^^^ Unless the commentators keep saying they're replacement refs before every call.  Grin
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 03:09:24 pm »

^^ I give that another week or 2 before it becomes old news and they stop saying it. It's already becoming annoying.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 03:42:39 pm »

^^^ I am with Pappy on this one, the Refs are slightly worse than the regular refs but are improving each week.  They were horrendous week 1 of the preseason and now are almost as good as the regulars.  At this rate by midseason they will be just as good as the regular ones which will kill the union's bargining position. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 04:02:06 pm »

^^^ I am with Pappy on this one, the Refs are slightly worse than the regular refs but are improving each week. 

I don't even think that they're worse...they're just a little more disorganized.  The calls themselves don't seem to be any worse, but there seem to be more "near debacles" about managing the game, rather than just blown calls.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 04:09:50 pm »

I don't even think that they're worse...they're just a little more disorganized.  The calls themselves don't seem to be any worse, but there seem to be more "near debacles" about managing the game, rather than just blown calls.

Being disorganized is not a good thing.  The game moves slower, and more flags seem to come out late, even when it is the right call.  So yeah, the rookies are not as good as the seasoned vets. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray