Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:59:02 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A stadium upgrade deal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: A stadium upgrade deal?  (Read 86583 times)
el diablo
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2013, 08:59:28 am »

If the Jaguars had come around at the same time as the Dolphins, that might very well be the case.  But from what I've heard about Orlando, there are tons of Dolphins fans there because the Dolphins came into existence 30 years before the Jaguars did.

I wasn't saying that there are more Jag fans in the area. I was referring to what CF clarified. The TV rights map is just ridiculous. If I lived one county south, I would be in the "Miami" market. But since our TV stations come out of Orlando, we are forced to have to scan the schedule and hope Jacksonville is at home that week, play a NFC opponent, or play in a different time slot. Finding a Jag fan in my area is like trying to find a Bucs fan during the 80's. You won't find any.
Landshark
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2013, 09:06:58 am »

I wasn't saying that there are more Jag fans in the area. I was referring to what CF clarified. The TV rights map is just ridiculous. If I lived one county south, I would be in the "Miami" market. But since our TV stations come out of Orlando, we are forced to have to scan the schedule and hope Jacksonville is at home that week, play a NFC opponent, or play in a different time slot. Finding a Jag fan in my area is like trying to find a Bucs fan during the 80's. You won't find any.

I get what you're saying.  TV rights and actual fan population are two different things.  I guess the NFL wanted to keep the Dolphins in South Florida in terms of TV coverage.  It doesn't matter to me as I have DirecTV with NFL Sunday Ticket.
el diablo
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2013, 09:02:53 pm »

And I refuse to pay for Sunday Ticket. But have no problem paying for radio. Go figure. It just seemed like the NFL was trying to manufacture a fan base for Jacksonville. Years later, they're still trying to manufacture a fan base.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2013, 02:25:01 pm »

First step in getting government funding passed on Tuesday...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-02-05/news/fl-lawmakers-like-miami-dolphins-20130205_1_mike-dee-tax-subsidy-tax-rebates

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2013, 07:05:12 pm »

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/09/3225787/dolphins-agree-to-referendum-for.html

more breaking news on this. It's now gonna be in the public's hand. Up for a vote in the county. A "NO" vote might give Ross a green light to start shopping this franchise to new cities (ie LA). With his other business deal wanting to buy the LA Stadium project he can use a "NO" vote as his card to move the team if he wants and say..."hey I tried in Miami, they rejected me"

That's how I see this playing out
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2013, 06:10:29 pm »

No Super Bowl, no upgrade?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21693032/miami-wants-to-land-a-super-bowl-before-it-gives-money-to-dolphins
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2013, 12:28:19 pm »

Word is now Ross is expected to increase the amount he will pay. The NFL is expected to kick in some money. Meaning less of a cost to the tax payers of South Florida.

This might help get this done it looks like
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2013, 06:41:44 pm »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/12/dolphins-books-dont-paint-a-pretty-picture/

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/10/3336415/debt-stadium-costs-to-hand-miami.html

The Dolphins opened up their books, and its ugly. Real ugly. One of the few NFL teams to actually lose money some years. And this goes beyond just "win more games and you will make more money." that won't solve all the problems. It would help but that doesn't solve the type of financial problems Miami currently is facing.

If this stadium deal doesn't go through there is no doubt in my mind this team is moving down the road.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2013, 06:51:15 pm »

Doesn't surprise me one bit and I'd be willing to bet that the Dolphins are FAR from the only team like this. In fact I would go so far as to say that I suspect this is pretty much true of most of the teams in the league. The owners wouldn't have fought so hard for the changes they did in the last bargaining agreement if every team was making money hand over fist. They were willing to sacrifice the season if so be it.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2013, 07:31:05 pm »

The Dolphins opened up their books, and its ugly. Real ugly. One of the few NFL teams to actually lose money some years. And this goes beyond just "win more games and you will make more money." that won't solve all the problems. It would help but that doesn't solve the type of financial problems Miami currently is facing.

If this stadium deal doesn't go through there is no doubt in my mind this team is moving down the road.

How much money is going to Front office staff salaries?  Salary to Ross?  Payments on debt, which increases equity to Ross.  Inflated payments to Ross subsidiaries?  So many ways to cook the books at this level to look like you are losing money.  The Dolphins aren't moving anywhere.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2013, 07:39:56 pm »

The Dolphins aren't moving anywhere.

I'm right there with you. How many cities are there that are avaioable and able to host an NFL franchise? Everyone tries to talk LA up but they have already lost two NFL teams in my lifetime.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2013, 08:06:29 pm »

Doesn't surprise me one bit and I'd be willing to bet that the Dolphins are FAR from the only team like this. In fact I would go so far as to say that I suspect this is pretty much true of most of the teams in the league. The owners wouldn't have fought so hard for the changes they did in the last bargaining agreement if every team was making money hand over fist. They were willing to sacrifice the season if so be it.

Not a chance in hell. Few if any NFL teams lose money. It's a cash cow owning a team. The TV deal $$$ alone is enough to keep teams afloat. If you are losing money then you are being poorly run. This goes way beyond winning and losing. And the owners were NOT willing to sacrifice a season. If they were they wouldn't have caved.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2013, 08:09:17 pm »

I'm right there with you. How many cities are there that are avaioable and able to host an NFL franchise? Everyone tries to talk LA up but they have already lost two NFL teams in my lifetime.

You would have cities lined up ready to take an NFL franchise on. LA only being one of them. San Antonio is dying to get a team as well. A team in Nevada as well (and the NFL will soften on that stance too in time)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2013, 11:27:02 am »

I don't see San Antone being able to host an NFL team (By host I mean effectively) and the NFL is definitely not giveing Las Vegas a franchise during my lifetime.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2013, 01:25:09 pm »

I don't see San Antone being able to host an NFL team (By host I mean effectively) and the NFL is definitely not giveing Las Vegas a franchise during my lifetime.

Vegas will happen in your lifetime. And I do see SA being a possibility once LA gets a team. They are the next logical spot. Texas is a crazy football state and could easily hold 3 NFL teams.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray