Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:59:18 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A stadium upgrade deal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: A stadium upgrade deal?  (Read 86649 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2013, 12:36:37 pm »

Naive about what? I have no idea why Weatherford didn't bring it up. He says it was because the Senate did not get it to them in sufficient time to discuss it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2013, 12:43:36 pm »

Naive about what? I have no idea why Weatherford didn't bring it up. He says it was because the Senate did not get it to them in sufficient time to discuss it.
You honestly think they just didn't have time to put it to a vote? Knowing that the referendum was already in place? Knowing that the Dolphins had already put in $5 million for it? Knowing that votes had already been cast? And they just couldn't fit it in? And if that was the reason, why didn't he say that instead of saying they didn't have the votes to pass it?

I think you're being naive about the political games being played, something that you accused Ross of.

Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:07:40 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2013, 01:43:15 pm »

I'm not naive to anything Pappy. I know full and well political games get played. I think you are just being argumentative and are uninformed like many people on this topic. Weatherford did say the Senate did not give them enough time to work on the bill. That complaint happened right after the Senate passed their version. That statement doesn't negate not having votes as you seem to think. In reality, this process should have started much sooner. I really think it would have had a better chance of passing then. It would have given people a chance to sit and digest it rather than feel it was being rushed down their throats.

I'm not the only one who thinks it was rushed either. Here is a snippet from State Senator, and supporter of the bill, Oscar Braynon, "However, I do feel the legislation, and the public vote got rushed, and all for the pipedream of landing one of the two upcoming Super Bowls that be determined in May.

I'd compare what Weatherford did to walking out of the first car dealership you visited when attempting to purchase a new car.

We (South Florida) should be given time, and the opportunity to research what's the best possible partnership between South Florida and the NFL. However, the flip-side of that decision is there are no guarantees the deal that was on the table wasn't the best deal South Florida will/would receive. That's the gamble we take."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-florida-house-speaker-says-dolphins-put-cart-before-the-horse-20130508,0,4237005.story?track=rss
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:51:51 pm by Phishfan » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2013, 02:29:24 pm »

After realignement they went into the South. When they joined the league they were put in the West.

And if the Dolphins move to LA they may have NE, NY and Buf as division rivals for a few years.  But the division would eventually be realigned. 

If the Dolphins move to Montreal the division would have no reason to ever break up.

As I said, geography is not the only thing or even the first thing the league looks at but it would not be good to have such a spread out division. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2013, 03:05:16 pm »

In reality, this process should have started much sooner. I really think it would have had a better chance of passing then.
How could it have had a better chance to pass if it was not put to a vote? Many believe that HAD it been voted on it would have passed. More time was not needed for it to pass, what was needed was for it to be put to a vote to see if it passed. I have not read anything that suggested it could NOT have been voted on. If you have read something different please enlighten me.

I'm not the only one who thinks it was rushed either.
I'm not suggesting that it WASN'T rushed. It absolutely was, but that is the whole point isn't it? Weatherford knew that Miami needed this voted on. He COULD have put it to a vote, but he decided not to.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:53:56 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2013, 03:42:46 pm »

Alright Pappy. I'm not going to argue it anymore. You obviously "know" there were votes for it to pass so it needed to be voted on.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #216 on: May 09, 2013, 04:04:13 pm »

Alright Pappy. I'm not going to argue it anymore. You obviously "know" there were votes for it to pass so it needed to be voted on.
No, I don't know that there were votes to pass, that's why you call for a vote, to find out. If you don't want to know then you don't call for a vote.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2013, 05:48:19 pm »

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/05/he-said-she-said-turns-against-florida-speaker.html

This is going to get ugly for Weatherford if more people stand up and say they heard him say what he says he didn't say. But then he's a politician so when has the truth ever mattered to them?

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2013, 06:18:41 pm »

This guy once again has misrepresented the bill. I'm tired of people saying all it would do is allow the people a chance to vote for themselves. That is not all that was in the bill.

That aside, Weatherford may very well have said it.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2013, 06:55:12 pm »

Screw upgrades, Fins open to MOVING to Palm Beach County Florida with a whole new stadium!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/09/3389294/miami-dolphins-open-minded-to.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:34:14 pm by MikeO » Logged
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2013, 08:25:29 pm »

WOW.  This would be awesome.  Move into either Broward or Palm Beach.  But I don't know how they get funding for the stadium without having to go through Weatherford and the state legislature again.

That would be really great!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #221 on: May 09, 2013, 09:03:52 pm »

WOW.  This would be awesome.  Move into either Broward or Palm Beach.  But I don't know how they get funding for the stadium without having to go through Weatherford and the state legislature again.

That would be really great!

Ross puts up around half. County puts in a little less than half. Small hospitality tax like they wanted last time will round out the rest. 30 year lease signed by Ross/Dolphins to stay in the stadium keeping them there. County gets back most of the money it puts up quickly turning the rest to profit in short order when you have Super Bowls, NCAA title games and such consistently.  Everyone wins!

Pretty much copy the Vikings deal. I think Wilf put up $480 mill. County put up $350 mill. And that tax makes up around $120-150 mill and you have yourself a $900 mill or so state of the art facility.

Weatherford is only the speaker for 1 more year. So this might not happen till 2 years from now. Might have to wait him out, OR if Weatherford starts feeling heat from the legislature or wants to run for Governor or Senator he might need to cave on this to win over votes in counties (Broward and Palm Beach) that want an NFL team and want him to get out of the way of stopping that.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #222 on: May 09, 2013, 09:32:37 pm »

Screw upgrades, Fins open to MOVING to Palm Beach County Florida with a whole new stadium!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/09/3389294/miami-dolphins-open-minded-to.html

Wow a whole lot of nothing.

Report:  Would you consider moving to XXXXX

Dee: We are open minded to all options.

Keep in mind Palm Beach County has not offered the Dolphins anything of the sort as of Thursday.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #223 on: May 09, 2013, 09:48:17 pm »

^^^ After reading that article, those are my thoughts exactly.  Nothing like massively overreacting to a generic "means nothing" comment.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Landshark
« Reply #224 on: May 09, 2013, 10:12:07 pm »

^^^ After reading that article, those are my thoughts exactly.  Nothing like massively overreacting to a generic "means nothing" comment.

I agree. File this away under W
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray