Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:43:32 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  "The NBA’s Jason Collins says he’s gay"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: "The NBA’s Jason Collins says he’s gay"  (Read 37688 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:48:39 am »

"The NBA’s Jason Collins says he’s gay, making him the first openly homosexual athlete in a major American team sport." -CNN

It happened. We've all been saying it was coming soon.

I drink your milkshake!
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 02:56:41 pm »

Question:

There are like 1000 gay WNBA players. How is that not a "major American team sport"?

If you want to say: "in a *popular* league in a major team sport" then, yes. But, he is not the first, technically.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 03:00:05 pm »

Question:

There are like 1000 gay WNBA players. How is that not a "major American team sport"?

If you want to say: "in a *popular* league in a major team sport" then, yes. But, he is not the first, technically.

1) WNBA is NOT a major sport.

2) The players in WNBA are not gay, they are lesbians.  Male - gay, female - lesbian, homosexual - either. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 03:00:15 pm »

Semantics.  Nobody watches the WNBA.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:18:58 pm »

Technically, he will only become the first openly homosexual athlete in a major American team sport...if he signs a new contract with a team. He's currently a free agent, which means he's actually unemployed at the moment.  He's a 34-year old end-of-the-bench scrub player, so he might not get a new contract either.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 03:29:51 pm »

Mike Wallace said something dumb on Twitter about this and now is backpedaling and apologizing.  Great...not one snap and I already don't like the guy.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 03:42:05 pm »

Mike Wallace said something dumb on Twitter about this and now is backpedaling and apologizing.  Great...not one snap and I already don't like the guy.

Actually I agree with Mike Wallace.  I don't get why a dude would want another dude. 

What Wallace tweeted was, "I'm not bashing anybody don't have anything against anyone I just don't understand it. All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH..."

I support legalizing homosexual marriage, equal rights etc.  But I agree with your wide receiver. 

AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 03:42:26 pm »

I really don't get why this is such a big deal.....I don't give a frosty fuck if an NBA player likes to smoke the sausage......that is his prerogative and frankly none of my damn business. As long as he does his job on the court I could care less what they hell he does off of it. Just because he is gay doesn't make him any less of a professional athlete. I just don't get the obsession with outing every athlete and celebrity on the planet. What is the point and honestly who really cares who is gay and who isn't. I simply do not care if you're white, black, Asian, Mexican, gay, straight, bi, man, or woman. People are just that.....people. I do not understand why we have to label everything and make such a big deal out of it.

Just my two cents!!!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 03:44:49 pm »

I really don't get why this is such a big deal.....I don't give a frosty fuck if an NBA player likes to smoke the sausage......that is his prerogative and frankly none of my damn business. As long as he does his job on the court I could care less what they hell he does off of it. Just because he is gay doesn't make him any less of a professional athlete. I just don't get the obsession with outing every athlete and celebrity on the planet. What is the point and honestly who really cares who is gay and who isn't. I simply do not care if you're white, black, Asian, Mexican, gay, straight, bi, man, or woman. People are just that.....people. I do not understand why we have to label everything and make such a big deal out of it.

Just my two cents!!!!!!

It a big deal cause it is new.  Today it is no big deal for a MLB team to sign a black second baseman.  In 1947 it was. 

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 03:47:38 pm »

Actually I agree with Mike Wallace.  I don't get why a dude would want another dude. 

What Wallace tweeted was, "I'm not bashing anybody don't have anything against anyone I just don't understand it. All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH..."

I support legalizing homosexual marriage, equal rights etc.  But I agree with your wide receiver. 

You're quoting him incorrectly.  He didn't write that all in one string.  He wrote:
"All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH...."

Then he took some flak and he wrote this a few minutes later:

"I'm not bashing anybody don't have anything against anyone I just don't understand it."

In a time like this, it's just a stupid comment to make. 

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 03:54:07 pm »

You're quoting him incorrectly.  He didn't write that all in one string.  He wrote:
"All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH...."

Then he took some flak and he wrote this a few minutes later:

"I'm not bashing anybody don't have anything against anyone I just don't understand it."

In a time like this, it's just a stupid comment to make. 

I agree the timing wasn't great, and if he was an elected official, it might matter.  But like I don't judge basketball players on who they are hitting, but how well they can hit a jump shot, I don't judge a WR on their tweeting, but their ability to a catch a football.  His tweet is a non-story. 

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:56:11 pm »

I agree with Mike Wallace. It's twitter where people post random thoughts. I don't think he needed to write an editorial explaining his thoughts.

And with the actual meaning of the whole announcement ... I find it rather anti-climatic.  I think the gay thing is overblown anymore.  There are gays on most tv shows and pretty much everywhere else. I don't think anyone really cares about an athlete or soldier being gay except for the dude showering with him and most them couldn't care less.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 04:03:39 pm »

It a big deal cause it is new.  Today it is no big deal for a MLB team to sign a black second baseman.  In 1947 it was. 

Is it really new though.....People have been coming out openly for a couple of decades now...it is not like it is taboo anymore and this isn't 1947. I highly doubt this is the first male gay athlete. It is only a big deal because we allow it to be. To each their own but I am in the who cares camp!!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 04:04:11 pm »

And with the actual meaning of the whole announcement ... I find it rather anti-climatic.  I think the gay thing is overblown anymore.  There are gays on most tv shows and pretty much everywhere else. I don't think anyone really cares about an athlete or soldier being gay except for the dude showering with him and most them couldn't care less.

In that homosexual  marriage is not universal permitted and continuing anti-gay sentiment through out the country, his coming out is a big deal.  

stinkyfish

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 04:14:00 pm »

It's almost like people can't have opinions anymore in this country. Whether Wallace likes gays, dislikes gays, or is indifferent to gays. Why do people care so much? It's only one persons perspective. The thing I don't understand is why people that live that lifestyle feel the need to advertize it to the world. Seems to me that it's more for attention than anything else. If you don't want someone to criticize or disagree with your life choices, don't tell the whole world your personal business .
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray