Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:54:14 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  What should the NFL do about Patriots cheating?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: What should the NFL do about Patriots cheating?  (Read 74795 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: January 21, 2015, 12:53:43 pm »

With deflate-gate being confirmed, paired with all of their past transgressions, how should the NFL proceed?

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 01:04:43 pm »

I definitely think there needs to be a suspension. Bilichick has either deliberatly tried to find ways to work around the system or he is guilty of not having institutional control. Either way I think his suspension is warranted.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 01:13:02 pm »

Belichick needs to be suspended for at least a year
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 01:44:26 pm »

Behead Belichick on pay-per-view...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 02:14:56 pm »

I'm thinking draft picks and fines make the most sense.  On the surface, this one incident isn't so big a deal, but I think you have to treat it like you'd treat a player with multiple run-ins.

Also, the NFL WAAAAAAAAY underplayed Spygate and swept that under the rug, which was super dumb.  That should've been aired out and made an example of.  Destroying the tapes?Huh  WTF?

So, they need to make a statement.

I drink your milkshake!
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 02:24:38 pm »

I'm thinking draft picks and fines make the most sense.  On the surface, this one incident isn't so big a deal, but I think you have to treat it like you'd treat a player with multiple run-ins.

Also, the NFL WAAAAAAAAY underplayed Spygate and swept that under the rug, which was super dumb.  That should've been aired out and made an example of.  Destroying the tapes?Huh  WTF?

Not defending sweeping Spygate under the rug, but I can see why they did it.   If the word ever got out about a tainted Super Bowl, it would've destroyed the league.  Fans would've stopped going to games and teams would've been bleeding money. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:27:41 pm »

^ I don't thinks so.

Fans don't care.  I mean...we know now.  And we know that the NFL helped cover it up and still nobody gives a shit.

The average fan doesn't know/care about bullygate/spygate/bountygate, etc.  They just want to drink Bud Light for 4 hours and watch people run into each other.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 02:27:59 pm »

Not defending sweeping Spygate under the rug, but I can see why they did it.   If the word ever got out about a tainted Super Bowl, it would've destroyed the league.  Fans would've stopped going to games and teams would've been bleeding money. 

holy over exaggeration. It would have tainted THAT Super Bowl. But I don't think fans would have stopped going to games overall and teams would be bleeding money. That's beyond foolish on all levels
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 02:43:26 pm »

your post contradicts itself.  They fined and cost draft picks last time.  If they need to make a statement, wouldn't that suggest that a MORE SEVERE penalty is imposed this time?  Total of $750,000 fines and lost draft picks for Spygate, and they still found another way to cheat.  This needs to hit them even harder.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 02:50:47 pm »

Let me clarify.  Spygate is a BIG BIG BIG deal.  Deflate-gate is a SMALL deal.

Spygate should've had the book thrown at them.
Deflate-gate should be a slap on the wrist.

But considering history, deflate-gate needs to be met with a harsher penalty, which includes fines and draft picks.

I drink your milkshake!
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 02:54:47 pm »

Finding balls with low pressure doesn't mean guilty. Not in that environment. A user on reddit recently posted an equation and did the math to solve for what the estimated pressure would have been during the game. The result, without tampering, would have lowered the psi and rendered them 'under inflated' by NFL standards.

And I can't find results on Colts' footballs during the same period. If they were to be 'under inflated' as well, then either everyone cheats or math is right. I'm not defending, I'll wait for all the information. I'm just saying that math isn't a Patriots fan.

I do know that the Football, Rubgy ball and Kickballs in my trunk right now, in perfect Florida weather, are lower than yesterday. (we conducted our own test) I remember they also deflated differently when i was in cold weather vs cold weather & high altitude.

Just saying...

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 03:08:19 pm »

But considering history, deflate-gate needs to be met with a harsher penalty, which includes fines and draft picks.

That's just it - its NOT a big deal, but it is their second offense so now they are habitual offenders and should be treated as such.  The precedent was set last time with their fines and lost draft picks.  So, now, a harsher penalty would be BIGGER fines and MORE draft picks?  Or is suspension warranted? 

I've seen a lot of chatter online that consider suspension (effective immediately) a fair punishment.

And, to address the "math equation" statement, can you post a link to the calculation?  Balls will lose air naturally, but 2 PSI seems like a lot...  What was the calculation?  Why was the 12th ball not at the same level?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 03:21:11 pm »

Finding balls with low pressure doesn't mean guilty. Not in that environment. A user on reddit recently posted an equation and did the math to solve for what the estimated pressure would have been during the game. The result, without tampering, would have lowered the psi and rendered them 'under inflated' by NFL standards.

And I can't find results on Colts' footballs during the same period. If they were to be 'under inflated' as well, then either everyone cheats or math is right. I'm not defending, I'll wait for all the information. I'm just saying that math isn't a Patriots fan.

I do know that the Football, Rubgy ball and Kickballs in my trunk right now, in perfect Florida weather, are lower than yesterday. (we conducted our own test) I remember they also deflated differently when i was in cold weather vs cold weather & high altitude.

Just saying...

I've seen the Colts balls were still within the NFL's mandated range. I don't think anyone believes this is a case of the environment. Your trunk experiment isn't even close to the same situation. You are talking about a day's worth of deflation versus a few hours worth (also in completely different environments).
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 03:25:55 pm »

And this equation accounts for the fact that the balls were properly inflated before the game started?

VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 03:57:32 pm »

I would hope the refs checked them properly.

Maybe this conspiracy is larger than anyone knows....  bum bum bummmmm

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray