Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:47:39 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  New normal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: New normal?  (Read 59435 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: February 20, 2018, 12:59:31 pm »

In the past a mass murder of innocent school children would result in a thread that same day sandy hook, columbine etc.  but now it is just business as usual in the United States of the NRA.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:05:35 pm »

I think this one is alot closer to home for alot of us. 
Also i see a real anger here directed towards the NRA obstructionists and alot less tolerance for bullshit political talk about why we can't have common sense gun legislation.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:23:59 pm »

I don't think it is a new normal as much as it is a topic we have covered already. Is there really much more we can say about gun control?

With that aside, I do want to express my condolences to the families.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:06:57 pm »

I'm sorry, but I can't see how this one is Any different,or will change anything....

We've had shootings in...
Elementary schools
Middle Schools
High schools
Colleges
Malls
Movie theaters
Churches
and attacks on members of congress...

Bupkis,a whole lotta hot air,and finger pointing...Add Donnie Dumbfuck,to a GOP controlled congress,claiming Mental health B.S.,while proposing cutting funding for mental health in their budget proposals..Is a perfect example of how nothing will change.

Living in a state with some of the most pro 2nd amendment,lack of gun laws. We've added a pro gun law into our state constitution,and within the past 10 years,were 1 measly vote away from an unconstitutional law,where any federal person trying enforce a federal gun law in the state ,would indeed themselves be arrested.(This obviously wouldn't have been enacted,Federal law supersedes state law.)

Over the weekend locally since we've had...
3 school shooting threats-
1 debunked
1 they are still investigating
1 middle school kid house searched,arrested Saturday night,after sending a video threatening to shoot up the school with an AK47 Friday night on social media.

Oh yeah and 3rd graders raffling off an Ar15 rifle to raise money for their (non school related) baseball team.One of the parents owns some gun business,donated it.The local officials state this morning on it, alot of groups around here raffle off guns, no one here has a problem with it...Just all the outsiders...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:08:38 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 02:38:32 pm »

I think this one is alot closer to home for alot of us. 
Also i see a real anger here directed towards the NRA obstructionists and alot less tolerance for bullshit political talk about why we can't have common sense gun legislation.
Through all the hypocritical screams of MASS SHOOTING, AR15, and COMMON SENSE GUN LAWS.  I have yet to actually hear any reasonable common sense gun laws from anyone. The unfortunate fact is that these things won't ever stop. We've been killing each other for 1000's of years and we will for the next 1000 years.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 04:19:58 pm »

Through all the hypocritical screams of MASS SHOOTING, AR15, and COMMON SENSE GUN LAWS.  I have yet to actually hear any reasonable common sense gun laws from anyone. The unfortunate fact is that these things won't ever stop. We've been killing each other for 1000's of years and we will for the next 1000 years.
People just like blaming Trump. How soon they forget the Democrats used to control everything under Obama for a couple of years and they did nothing. Obama finally passed something that was so bad the ACLU was even against it.

I say all of this not to point fingers but to say that no one has made it a priority. see how fast Trump got the tax law passed? See how Obama got his insurance mandate through? Neither party has made this a priority.

Times are changing and we have too many people who disregard human life and just want to kill innocent people. As such I don't think any one thing will stop them.  In Colorado, Texas and other places they have public school staff that is trained and armed. Israel has been that way for 30 plus years. I heard Sheriff Judd (the Polk County guy who is famous for going after sexual predators) and Sheriff Chitwood of Volusia County on tv saying they were going to do the same thing. seems like the conservative counties are pushing this. I just think the free living school life is going the same way as our plane flights and we will have to adapt.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 05:19:31 pm »

Obama used his political capital towards Healthcare, which he ultimately got.  After that, he didn't have power in the House or Senate anymore.  He tried on guns, but there was no capital left.

Sandy Hook was the tipping point, where I realized that there would be no bipartisan support.

Maybe this time is different -- here's hoping.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 05:45:50 pm »

I still haven't heard any common sense gun laws from anyone...

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 06:17:56 pm »

Bullshit.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 06:22:51 pm »

Bullshit.
Thanks for proving my point.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:24:32 pm by pondwater » Logged

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 09:05:28 pm »

All things being equal, the US and Australia share alot of qualities, nation of immigrants, quality of life, general prosperity level, cultural similarities, access to the same entertainment (violent games and movies) s shared language, similar levels of religiosity and the same type of historical frontier-like expansion.

How about we look at the level of access to guns in australia before and after they passed some wide ranged gun control laws and compare it to the level of gun violence and see if there's something there we can emulate. There's a start.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:12:53 pm by Fau Teixeira » Logged
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 04:13:17 am »

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 08:55:26 am »

1) Ban automatic weapons entirely
2) Increase restrictions on who can own a gun (in areas of age, mental health issues, history of violence)
3) Every time a child is shot in a school, take one politician who is accepting NRA money and shoot them in the head.

OK, #3 is semi-facetious, but the other two would be a damned good start.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 09:28:33 am »

No way in hell it would happen,but...

1.) Require every gun sold,bought,to have a serial number*
*1a.) Outlaw make your own gun,selling parts online to assemble your home made gun with no serial numbers,etc.
2.) Close the gun show loop hole,no one under 18 years old may enter,same rules should apply at a store as these gun shows...

There's more,but the gun nuts will scream and bitch these aren't fair...blah,Blah,blah...

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 11:27:11 am »

My 2 cents worth is that if no meaningful gun law changes were put in place after Sandy Hook in which freaking ELEMENTARY school kids were killed, then there is never going to be a school shooting that brings about meaningful gun law changes.  Our Kardashian worshipping society is too easily distracted.  Everyone gets all worked up for a couple weeks after a mass shooting and then Jennifer Anniston divorce story hits the news and society drops their gun law cause to go look at the shiny new thing in the "news". 

And politicians will always talk about change but until their voting constituents create a big enough demand, they won't vote to change anything.  Politicians representing overwhelmingly liberal districts will vote for stricter gun laws, politicians representing overwhelmingly conservative districts will not vote for stricter gun laws, and politicians representing moderate districts will vote whichever way the wind happens to be blowing on a particular day in the media.  All politicians regardless of affiliation put getting re-elected WAY ahead of anything else.  Tell your biggest voting demographic what they want to hear and move on.   

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray