Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:23:16 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins to Sign Former Patriots WR Danny Amendola
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Dolphins to Sign Former Patriots WR Danny Amendola  (Read 6533 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 03:48:31 pm »

Funny how Amendola's "clutchness" coincides precisely with the time Tom Brady was throwing a football at him.  He is almost as "clutch" as Deion Branch!

This is an unfair and bad question.  Besides sacks, what does Wake bring to the table that made him a Pro Bowler?
Landry was a Pro Bowler in 2016 when MIA made the playoffs, and he was a big reason they did so, especially after Tanny went down.

It's ironic that you say JT and Wake in their primes were the only difference makers, as during their most dominant years (respectively) MIA was nowhere NEAR the playoffs.  At all.
JT and Wake made a difference ... by themselves. If you don't think we had a Super bowl worthy defense in Taylor's prime you are on drugs.  They changed games. Taylor makes plays when the team needs it most. Landry had over 100 catches so he got the ball more than anyone else and yet he didn't change the game. So if we take half those throws away from him ... which is how an offense is suppose to work... then I don't see him as anything other than a good, solid player. Not sure what he's done to make you think he's done more.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 05:54:10 pm »

It's amazing to me that people can knock a player for being a league leader in receptions, leading the team in TD's, and leading the team in receiving first downs.  If you want to knock someone, knock the QB, O-line, TE's, and other WR's, but don't knock the guy that played his heart out for the team.  If you want to say the guy isn't worth the $14M he wanted that's fine, I don't think anyone will argue he's not worth that much money.

Compared to Amendola, Landry is ten times better.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 11:40:39 pm »

JT and Wake made a difference ... by themselves. If you don't think we had a Super bowl worthy defense in Taylor's prime you are on drugs.  They changed games.
JT played on a defense that had 6 Pro Bowlers and 3 All-Pros, FAR better than any offense Landry ever played with... and that team did not even make the playoffs.  You cannot even begin to compare quality of teammates between the two.

And if we're going to judge players based on team results, your complete lack of any mention of Wake is deafening with its silence.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 06:27:31 am »

My 2c here...

It's not really fair to compare Amendola to Landry in the context of things. Yes, he is part of a wide receiver package the powers that be have got to replace Landry, but it's not exactly a like for like replacement.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, one thing that has been identified as lacking in the Dolphins is leadership (which others here on the forum and in the media seem to have identified long before the Dolphins administration seemed to realize it's an issue, and that's after the whole Incognito train-wreck).

The team is being blown up and rebooted. Under those circumstances, I have no issue with this signing, Danny's a productive WR with leadership intangibles which Landry doesn't have (and probably will never will) that frankly we will need if we are starting from scratch again. Hopefully with the return of Tannehill and the addition of Sitton & Kilgore there's the leadership on the offensive side of the ball that's been sadly lacking during the 2017 season. With some luck that will maybe rub off on to Laremy Tunsil and other future long term elements of the Dolphins.

If we are to get better, this is one step up... if it doesn't work though, yeah I admit it is a big step backwards. That said, if that scenario does eventuate we are going a mile backwards because of far more serious factors other than the signing of Amendola.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2018, 10:56:06 am »

one thing that has been identified as lacking in the Dolphins is leadership
I know that is the team response but I disagree wholeheartedly. Pouncey was a team leader and Jarvis Landry continually pumped up the team so at a minimum he led by example. They were moved for other reasons IMO.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2018, 11:07:05 am »

Pouncey was not the type of leader the team needs. He is a straight up follower of Incognito and Hernandez. If the stories are to be believed about Landry, he was no leader either.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2018, 01:14:38 pm »

^I agree with that about Pouncy. Again with his injury history,plus...

Outside of being the center,who makes the line shift/blitz calls,there were almost always older veteran bodge/patch players brought in (for more leadership
?) during Pouncey's tenure with the Dolphins.

As depressing as this is...
2011 - 22 yrs old - (Mike P. played 16 games)- Vernon Carey,Jake Long,Incognito,M.Columbo
2012 - 23 yrs old - (Mike played 16 gms) - J.Long, and Incognito (John Jerry was older  than him)
2013 - 24 yrs old - (Mike Played 14 gms) -B.Mckinnie,Incognito,T.Clabo (John Jerry was older than him)
2014 - 25 yrs old - (Mike played 12gms At guard) - Satele,Alberts,D.Colledge
2015 - 26 yrs old - (Mike played 14 gms)- Alberts,J.Fox
2016 - 27 yrs old - (Mike played 5 gms) - Alberts,Bushrod
2017 - 28 yrs old  - (Mike played 16 gms) - Larson and Bushrod

Just seem like there was always other older guy's around on the line...Mike will be 29 this July...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:17:23 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2018, 08:25:31 pm »

^I agree with that about Pouncy. Again with his injury history,plus...

Outside of being the center,who makes the line shift/blitz calls,there were almost always older veteran bodge/patch players brought in (for more leadership
?) during Pouncey's tenure with the Dolphins.

As depressing as this is...
2011 - 22 yrs old - (Mike P. played 16 games)- Vernon Carey,Jake Long,Incognito,M.Columbo
2012 - 23 yrs old - (Mike played 16 gms) - J.Long, and Incognito (John Jerry was older  than him)
2013 - 24 yrs old - (Mike Played 14 gms) -B.Mckinnie,Incognito,T.Clabo (John Jerry was older than him)
2014 - 25 yrs old - (Mike played 12gms At guard) - Satele,Alberts,D.Colledge
2015 - 26 yrs old - (Mike played 14 gms)- Alberts,J.Fox
2016 - 27 yrs old - (Mike played 5 gms) - Alberts,Bushrod
2017 - 28 yrs old  - (Mike played 16 gms) - Larson and Bushrod

Just seem like there was always other older guy's around on the line...Mike will be 29 this July...

I agree, I don't think Pouncey was much of a leader.  Jake Long & Brandon Albert have been the main leaders of the O-line (when they were on the field).  Perhaps Tunsil can become the O-line leader as he gets beyond being a rookie.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 01:10:12 am »

I don't see when Amendola was supposedly a "leader" in NE's locker room.  Brady, Gronk, and Edelman would all need to be out of commission for Amendola to be considered a leader among offensive skill position players, to say nothing of the rest of the team.

What's next... is MIA going to try to poach Dion Lewis or Mike Gillislee and call them "leaders"?  These excuses are weak, man.  MIA is taking NE's discarded crumbs and treating them like prime rib.  I'd be more excited about signing Chris Hogan.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 09:24:49 am »

Last year the team was 6-10.  This year the team will probably have a similar record.  But they will have the same record with players who are "leaders" and "high character guys".  I'm sure that leaders and high character guys make for a more pleasant workplace, but for me personally, I will take a 12-4 team full of selfish douchebags over a 6-10 team full of guys who help little old ladies across the street any day. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2018, 10:34:10 am »

I think they can do better this year than last and they make the playoffs:

Pros
--Solidified Oline with veterans and capable backups
--Starting QB will be back (and now has a solid Oline to block for him)
--Young talented CBs developed more / Lippett will be back
--Full offseason of Drake as feature back
--Freed up cap room
--TE upgrade (addition by subtraction, Thomas is terrible)

Cons
--Suh is gone, weakening the Dline
--Wake is another year older
--Landry is gone, weakening the WR core

I'm going to call it now, Miami will have a top 5 secondary this season.  Maybe even top 3.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:38:14 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2018, 10:55:00 am »

Last year the team was 6-10.  This year the team will probably have a similar record.  But they will have the same record with players who are "leaders" and "high character guys".  I'm sure that leaders and high character guys make for a more pleasant workplace, but for me personally, I will take a 12-4 team full of selfish douchebags over a 6-10 team full of guys who help little old ladies across the street any day. 

But the Dolphins were not a 12-4 team. I'd rather sleep with super models but wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2018, 03:30:43 pm »

I don't see when Amendola was supposedly a "leader" in NE's locker room.  Brady, Gronk, and Edelman would all need to be out of commission for Amendola to be considered a leader among offensive skill position players, to say nothing of the rest of the team.

What's next... is MIA going to try to poach Dion Lewis or Mike Gillislee and call them "leaders"?  These excuses are weak, man.  MIA is taking NE's discarded crumbs and treating them like prime rib.  I'd be more excited about signing Chris Hogan.

I agree Amenddola wasn't a leader in NE, however, someone coming from NE (or Philly) has the potential to be a leader on every team.  "This is what we did and the level of effort and dedication needed to be a champion".  And who can really argue?

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2018, 03:41:46 pm »

...but wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills.

I think I saw that video...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 04:03:00 pm »

I think I saw that video...

Pretty sure it was the premise to Aladdin.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray