Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:07:38 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Current state of MLB is getting worse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Current state of MLB is getting worse  (Read 8761 times)
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 10:19:08 am »

If you want to fix the game, give it back its' balls that were lost somewhere between 1986 and the 1994 strike.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 10:36:52 am »

What job allows secretly wants you to punch someone in the face to maintain order when the bosses don't handle it?  This shit is so goddamn absurd.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 10:42:49 am »

So you want to make a boring game more boring... Awesome.
Not exactly.  I propose that we eliminate the "excitement" of intentional HBP and the attendant 40-man scrum, and replace it with the excitement of players being allowed to actually have fun without having to worry about their personal safety.

Do you want to get rid of fighting in hockey too?
I don't really care about hockey, but the spectacle of officials standing nearby and waiting for players to finish fighting before they break it up is one of the most absurd things in professional sports.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 10:48:15 am »

Not exactly.  I propose that we eliminate the "excitement" of intentional HBP and the attendant 40-man scrum, and replace it with the excitement of players being allowed to actually have fun without having to worry about their personal safety.

I agree with this.  The pitchers revenge for having someone flip a bat after hitting a home run should be fist pumping a strike out not a purposeful hbp

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 11:02:24 am »

What job allows secretly wants you to punch someone in the face to maintain order when the bosses don't handle it?  This shit is so goddamn absurd.

Not that I disagree with you but the answer to your question is just about every team sport invented. Sticking up for teammates has always been applauded in sports. You can't compare it to a 9 to 5.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 11:17:24 am »

Not that I disagree with you but the answer to your question is just about every team sport invented. Sticking up for teammates has always been applauded in sports. You can't compare it to a 9 to 5.

Not really.  NFL has very few fights, and tragressions are handled by 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalties, nor vengeful hits.  Soccer uses yellow and red cards.  Basketball doesn’t have many fights and handles thing with technical fouls. 

This is the equivalent of rather than a yellow for excessive TD celebration the other team took a cheap shot.

Baseball needs to up the penalty for HBP.  Raise it to a double if that doesn’t discourage the behavior raise it to a triple or hr.  If unsportsmanlike conduct was a 5 yard instead of 15 you would see more unsportsmanlike behavior in football.

Plus baseball is not a contact sport, it should have the decorum of tennis or golf not rugby.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 11:33:29 am »

Sticking up for teammates isn't fighting.  Baseball is non-contact, too.  It's not even like in football or basketball where guys get tied up within the rules of the game.

And sticking up normally applies to excessive force.  This isn't the case in baseball.  Sticking up means disrespect from playing too well or celebrating good play.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 11:35:17 am »

I guess in today's world there is no room for testosterone.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 12:13:38 pm »

I'd hardly say football and basketball have "less testosterone" than baseball.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 12:53:30 pm »

odor should have been arrested and prosecuted for battery. there's ample video evidence.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 01:18:13 pm »

Not really.  NFL has very few fights, and tragressions are handled by 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalties, nor vengeful hits.  Soccer uses yellow and red cards.  Basketball doesn’t have many fights and handles thing with technical fouls. 

This is the equivalent of rather than a yellow for excessive TD celebration the other team took a cheap shot.

Baseball needs to up the penalty for HBP.  Raise it to a double if that doesn’t discourage the behavior raise it to a triple or hr.  If unsportsmanlike conduct was a 5 yard instead of 15 you would see more unsportsmanlike behavior in football.

Plus baseball is not a contact sport, it should have the decorum of tennis or golf not rugby.

I am very familiar with the punishment in each of these sports. It does not stop cheap shots and revenge from happening in any of them.

Dave is right about the difference in celebration retaliation though. These other sports usually happen in run of play while baseball is about hurt feelings. That wasn't the point I responded to either. It was that you can't compare a 9 to 5 and professional sports because the fact is team based skirmishes happen in just about all of them.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 01:25:13 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 01:25:03 pm »

I guess in today's world there is no room for testosterone.

Look up the term "toxic masculinity" and be prepared to barf on your shoes.  Whenever our new snowflake society gets to be too much for me, I re-read Adam Carolla's book "In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks."    I apologize if my use of the term "masculinity" caused anyone to have to hide in their safe space and hug their wooby bear. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 01:49:49 pm »

Look up the term "toxic masculinity" and be prepared to barf on your shoes.  Whenever our new snowflake society gets to be too much for me, I re-read Adam Carolla's book "In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks."    I apologize if my use of the term "masculinity" caused anyone to have to hide in their safe space and hug their wooby bear. 
You warned me so the barf didn't get on my shoes.  Just a bunch of Soy Boys running around.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 02:24:06 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 01:56:43 pm »

I am very familiar with the punishment in each of these sports. It does not stop cheap shots and revenge from happening in any of them.

Dave is right about the difference in celebration retaliation though. These other sports usually happen in run of play while baseball is about hurt feelings. That wasn't the point I responded to either. It was that you can't compare a 9 to 5 and professional sports because the fact is team based skirmishes happen in just about all of them.

Well I am not comparing baseball to my job.  I think it should be compared to other noncontact sports such as golf, tennis, or racing.  When was the last time you heard of a brawl in those sports or someone throwing a projectile 90mph at someone because they celebrated their last win?

It is time to end beaning someone for hurting your feeling.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 01:57:22 pm »

Baseball needs to up the penalty for HBP.  Raise it to a double if that doesn’t discourage the behavior raise it to a triple or hr.
Any HBP judged to be intentional should result in the following:

- immediate pitcher ejection and mandatory suspension
- batter scores (and clears the bases)

The idea that clearly intentional HBP is allowed to exist is disgusting.  It is no different than a football player attacking another player using a helmet as a weapon in hand.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray