Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:26:44 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Current state of MLB is getting worse
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Current state of MLB is getting worse  (Read 8767 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: August 21, 2018, 11:26:11 am »

I was reading an article about how HOFers are complaining about the current state of baseball and these statistics showed up. It certainly seems like baseball is headed in the wrong direction and for many more reasons than 4 hour games. Too many teams if you ask me.

• The ball is not put in play in roughly a third of all plate appearances, 31.6 percent of which end in a strikeout, walk or hit batter.

• The .248 MLB batting average is the lowest since 1972, the season before the American League instituted the designated hitter, when it was .244.

• There were more strikeouts than hits in a month for the first time in MLB history in April and, through early August, MLB had accumulated more strikeouts than hits overall. The race is on for whether it will happen in a full season for the first time.

• Through Saturday, the combined rate of strikeouts, walks and home runs across the game was 33.6 percent. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, since strikeouts were first recorded in both leagues in 1913, there have been only six seasons in which strikeouts, walks and home runs have accounted for at least 30 percent of all plate appearances, and all of them have occurred since 2012.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 11:46:59 am »

I wish I had a team to root for, but the "minor league" team that plays here decided to get rid of their now World Series winning manager and all of their best players.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 11:50:27 am »

Gotta fix the economics.
Gotta get rid of the unwritten rules and fighting.  Charging the mound, hitting players on purpose, etc...that's assault and should be treated as such, with enormous suspensions and fines.  Not only is it unprofessional, a stupid time waster, but it puts policing the game in the hands of the players.  If you don't want to have a guy hit 4 home runs on you, pitch better -- don't bean him.
Cut the time it takes to play a game.
Cut the number of games.

I'm probably too far gone to give a crap, regardless of what they do.  But these are just some of the reasons that the sport lost me over the years.

I drink your milkshake!
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 01:19:55 pm »

I've never been a fan of baseball, ever. It's just way too slow. If you were going to get someone like me to watch, you need to make it so the ball gets hit by everyone a majority of the time. Or turn it into Blernsball, that would work too.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 01:38:37 pm »

We have a league full of Joey Gallos these days...swings and missed most times, but when he does hit it, it goes 450, at least.

Maybe we should swap out the All Star Game HR Derby and have a skills competition?  Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 01:45:18 pm »

In peewee hbp often occurs because the pitcher has bad ball control in MLB, there is no excuse for it.  Change rules of game first team Hbp for a team is a single with anyone one base advancing (ie guy on third goes home). Second HBp is a triple.  Third and subsequent are runs.  Any pitcher with a second HBP in a game is ejected.  Any pitcher with 10 in a season is suspended for the rest of the season.  Don’t bean  a guy cause he hit a home run, strike him out.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 02:10:58 pm »

I gave up on the game too long ago to ever come back. I didn't even watch a single pitch in the last Word Series.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 02:43:52 pm »

I wish I had a team to root for, but the "minor league" team that plays here decided to get rid of their now World Series winning manager and all of their best players.

That's why baseball needs a salary cap just like the other sports do.  We can't have teams like the Yankees and Dodgers throwing money around and gobbling up all the talent.

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 02:49:13 pm »

I admit,I hate the shifting,and constant pitching changes to play the match ups in the bullpen.

I agree with the lack of fundamental ability to make contact,or flat out understand the game situation (IE runner on third with less than 2 outs).

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 03:31:14 am »

The unwritten rules are not only dumb, but they're actively counterproductive to creating excitement for the game.

Example #1: bat flips.  The Korean League has some of the most spectacular bat flips in the sport.  But showing that kind of joy and excitement in MLB would get you seriously injured.  Case in point: Joey Bats had one of the greatest bat flips of all time in a situation where emotion was clearly warranted.  And what was the result when TOR and TEX met the following season?

I mean, baseball is boring and slow-paced enough as it is, without retrograde knuckleheads enforcing unwritten rules that somehow tell you that if a guy is playing really well against you, you are honor-bound to throw a 97 MPH fastball at him.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 06:14:15 am »

So you want to make a boring game more boring... Awesome.  Do you want to get rid of fighting in hockey too?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 08:45:22 am »

So you want to make a boring game more boring... Awesome.  Do you want to get rid of fighting in hockey too?

I know a lot of people do. Fighting in hockey is way down from what it used to be anyway.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 08:57:27 am »

The bat flip,he stared at his home run to long, unwritten rules...showing up the hitters ...So We're gonna plunk you over it,Is such horseshit.

Roll Eyes I also love when the announcers say some thing like the lines of..."I don't remember any incidents or bad blood between these two clubs this year,this could stem from some thing last year...When player A, was with the Dodgers,and Player B was with the Giants..." Type of statement.... Roll Eyes

This was an article written a few years ago after the Batista about playing Winter ball...It's kinda funny if you have a few minutes to read it...(The story I'm referring to starts below the video.)
https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/playing-baseball-right-way-depends-three-factors-when-who-where-061615

I think the game should change,and evolve be less golf like...

I admit to have strange views when it comes to Baseball,No DH,I'd be fine with automated strike zones,telling the Home plate umpire Ball and strike,there should be an onsite video review umpire...

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 09:14:45 am »

Either write down the unwritten rules, or erase them completely...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 09:34:13 am »

The unwritten rules are not only dumb, but they're actively counterproductive to creating excitement for the game.

Example #1: bat flips.  The Korean League has some of the most spectacular bat flips in the sport.  But showing that kind of joy and excitement in MLB would get you seriously injured.  Case in point: Joey Bats had one of the greatest bat flips of all time in a situation where emotion was clearly warranted.  And what was the result when TOR and TEX met the following season?

I mean, baseball is boring and slow-paced enough as it is, without retrograde knuckleheads enforcing unwritten rules that somehow tell you that if a guy is playing really well against you, you are honor-bound to throw a 97 MPH fastball at him.

Leading with the face is never a good fight tactic.  Odor threw a nice right but then went sissy with the glove slap.  Not bad for a baseball fight though since most of them are just 20 dudes hugging each other around the mound. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray