Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:44:36 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  And with the 13th pick......
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: And with the 13th pick......  (Read 7123 times)
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2019, 03:34:48 pm »

But we’ve never gutted our roster and then built it back up and that’s what a rebuild is. When the owner is warning of a possible 3-13 season you know winning next season isn’t a priority
You can't entirely gut your roster due to contract and cap restraints. Not to mention, if you have a key player at a key spot you more than likely need to keep him. For instance, we need to keep Howard, Jones, and Fitzpatrick in the secondary simply because they are very good players and it would be virtually impossible to replace them.

If you ask me, we've been building our roster perpetually for the past 10 years. Philbin sent plenty of good players away, just like Gase did. When you send good players away, you are gutting your roster because all you have left is shit.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2019, 03:36:45 pm »

^^^
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2019, 03:42:13 pm »

You can't entirely gut your roster due to contract and cap restraints. Not to mention, if you have a key player at a key spot you more than likely need to keep him. For instance, we need to keep Howard, Jones, and Fitzpatrick in the secondary simply because they are very good players and it would be virtually impossible to replace them.

If you ask me, we've been building our roster perpetually for the past 10 years. Philbin sent plenty of good players away, just like Gase did. When you send good players away, you are gutting your roster because all you have left is shit.
I didn’t say how they’d do it but the talk is ether Jones or Howard won’t be here much longer.  Jones the more likely

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2019, 03:52:52 pm »

I didn’t say how they’d do it but the talk is ether Jones or Howard won’t be here much longer.  Jones the more likely
That's because we're so fucked up we send away the good players and then replace them with overpaid 12th year veterans retreads with a recent history of multiple injuries.

And to be honest. If we actually addressed the holes in the roster and problem areas, we wouldn't even be talking about any of this rebuilding shit. How long has the OL been fucked up? How long has the DL been leaking like a sieve before the dam finally broke this year? How long has the LB position been festering like a herpes infested honeypot?

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2019, 05:43:53 pm »

I don’t disagree with you. My biggest peeve with the whole thing is keeping someone who was partly to blame and making them head honcho. Of course if he had other ideas and they didn’t listen then shame on them. I am encouraged that we are willing to sacrifice everything to get better. I’ve always been kind of jealous of watching other teams do that while we are always trying to plug the dike.

Oakland has 5 first round picks in the next two years. I’d give up any player we have for that situation.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:46:02 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2019, 02:03:15 pm »

And to be honest. If we actually addressed the holes in the roster and problem areas, we wouldn't even be talking about any of this rebuilding shit. How long has the OL been fucked up? How long has the DL been leaking like a sieve before the dam finally broke this year? How long has the LB position been festering like a herpes infested honeypot?

I realize this is borderline heresy at this point, but what would the Dolphins look like with a really good defensive tackle (doesn't have to be Suh level, but someone who is routinely double-teamed) and a really good guard? (let's assume you re-sign Ju'Wuan James or someone similar). That's an addition of just two players, but the effect would be massive. Our pass rush would improve, run stopping would improve, run game would improve, passing game would improve... Maybe add an o-line coach who doesn't try to block a sack-leading DE with a rookie tight end, just because the DE lines up offset.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2019, 04:03:51 pm »

I realize this is borderline heresy at this point, but what would the Dolphins look like with a really good defensive tackle (doesn't have to be Suh level, but someone who is routinely double-teamed) and a really good guard? (let's assume you re-sign Ju'Wuan James or someone similar). That's an addition of just two players, but the effect would be massive. Our pass rush would improve, run stopping would improve, run game would improve, passing game would improve... Maybe add an o-line coach who doesn't try to block a sack-leading DE with a rookie tight end, just because the DE lines up offset.
This is exactly the thinking that has kept us between 6-10 and 10-6 for over 10 years ... according to Ross (which I agree). He brought up doing the same thing and definition of insanity as the reason he is trying somehting new by fixing things for the long term.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2019, 05:20:54 pm »

This is exactly the thinking that has kept us between 6-10 and 10-6 for over 10 years ... according to Ross (which I agree). He brought up doing the same thing and definition of insanity as the reason he is trying somehting new by fixing things for the long term.

But Gase specifically declined to do something about the offensive line in 2016, focusing solely on the D, something Ross challenged Gase about to the point that a "high-ranking club official had to intervene". Source: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article223850050.html

If you look at the Dolphins' roster, what's really missing are those young players that are supposed to surround the (on paper more) talented players. These players are young, relatively cheap, and sometimes turn into really good players. Instead, what we have done is bring in a bunch of old guys that coach knows for just a tad too much money that have absolutely zero upside (but plenty of downside, particularly the increased injury exposure).

And this is, in my experience, what happens almost every single time a new coach takes over and why it's critical to give your staff more then 2-3 years.

So, yeah, just flushing the whole team down the drain and doing a complete rebuild might be better, because then at least the expectation would be that we would suck initially and the GM / coach would get more time to make things work.

I'm not at all convinced that it's a better or more proven path to success. Not at all. But if the alternative is to throw out the coaching staff every 2-3 years, then it's certainly preferable. What it wouldn't be preferable to, IMHO, is giving your coaching staff more time in the first place. That's the solution I would have at least liked to TRY before going the total rebuild route.

Especially with a rookie head coach where you have to figure that he's going to make mistakes initially. That it's going to take him a few years to find his feet and the team that he needs around him to properly develop the roster. But, no, we'll just keep flushing the coaching staff every 2-3 years like clockwork.
Alwaysdullfan

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 03:24:49 am »

Just taking a quick glance off the top of my head at our needs, here are some depressing opinions of mine.  And they are just opinions, but I don't think I'm too far off base.  What areas of the team are the Dolphins in good shape at?

QB:  Nope
RB:  Pretty good situation here, but depends on the OL of course.
OL:  Nope
WR:  Nope
TE:  Nope
DL:  Nope
LB:  Nope
DB:  A couple of really good players, but that certainly isn't enough to be considered in good shape in the secondary

Special Teams:  Very solid but if your Special Teams unit is the strength of your team, then guess what.  You suck.

In summation, this team is going to continue to be bad for a long time.   

I think we're good at WR and TE. Gase just didnt use Gesicki at all I think our main problems are at d-line and o-line. Plus obviously need a starting QB for week 1. Im curious what Miami will do in their secondary. As good as Reshad Jones is, I think Miami should trade him and get a draft pick or two. That would also free up ALOT of cap space, esp. since u got Minkah. With that money id sign X. Howard. DBs are okay too. When it comes o LBs, we basically had 2 rookies this year, I think they will be much improved next year. Of course depth never hurt anyone.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 11:23:05 am »

OK, so I've decided that Miami should tank the next two years...just to get QB Trevor Lawrence.

OK, totally joking, but man...that kid sure has looked impressive as hell for a Freshman.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 11:25:41 am »

I think we're good at WR and TE. Gase just didnt use Gesicki at all I think our main problems are at d-line and o-line. Plus obviously need a starting QB for week 1. Im curious what Miami will do in their secondary. As good as Reshad Jones is, I think Miami should trade him and get a draft pick or two. That would also free up ALOT of cap space, esp. since u got Minkah. With that money id sign X. Howard. DBs are okay too. When it comes o LBs, we basically had 2 rookies this year, I think they will be much improved next year. Of course depth never hurt anyone.

They should make Gesicki our #1 WR to take the place of Parker (faster than AB, jumps higher than Calvin Johnson, stronger than some linemen)...if he sucks at blocking, might as well get the most out of him.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 11:55:08 am »

OK, so I've decided that Miami should tank the next two years...just to get QB Trevor Lawrence.

OK, totally joking, but man...that kid sure has looked impressive as hell for a Freshman.
Seconded and can we Get Dabo Swinney as well to be head coach?

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 02:03:11 pm »

Seconded and can we Get Dabo Swinney as well to be head coach?

Yessir, that'd be just fine with me as well...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 02:23:00 pm »

Dolphins trade the 13th pick to the Ravens for John Harbaugh and the Ravens 3rd round pick in 2020.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 02:41:31 pm »

^is this you speculating or did this happen?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray