Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:12:10 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  January Weight Loss Plan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: January Weight Loss Plan  (Read 7773 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 09:48:25 am »

One week in -- I already notice a difference this morning.  My clothes are looser in my mid-section.  I think it's probably just bloat.  The "no snacks after dinner" thing sucked horribly at first, but I've kinda gotten used to it.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 10:40:44 am »

I started today.  Bought a bunch of healthy food, really good cereal I found, Kashi GoLean. 
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 01:19:07 pm »

KETO!!

lost 50 lbs in under a year with zero exercise and got to eat like a king!  it's super healthy for you too and i can't really say enough about it.
It definitely works. I would probably recommend it more for people who don't plan to exercise or work out. I had a hard time working out when I was doing keto/IF. But then again it may have been that my calories were too low at the time. I'll probably jump back on the keto train to lose some weight before summer hits and see how the workouts go with the calories a bit higher.

I started today.  Bought a bunch of healthy food, really good cereal I found, Kashi GoLean. 
I used to eat the shit out of that stuff with no problem. Now it gives me gas so bad that it hurts my insides. It's good stuff though. Maybe I'll try another box and see, haha.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 04:03:29 pm »

So, I'm going to try Keto, don't know much about it, so I ordered two books on simple meals & planning.  Being single and always on the go I tend to eat crappy food, and/or whatever is easy to prepare quickly.  Hopefully, I can preplan some meals for the week.  Are there any easy general rule of eat this, and don't eat that??  Do you NEED to eat specific amounts and percentages daily?
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 04:57:16 pm »

I've heard if you don't do Keto right, it is really bad for you so be careful.  Any truth to that?
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 05:11:51 pm »

So, I'm going to try Keto, don't know much about it, so I ordered two books on simple meals & planning.  Being single and always on the go I tend to eat crappy food, and/or whatever is easy to prepare quickly.  Hopefully, I can preplan some meals for the week.  Are there any easy general rule of eat this, and don't eat that??  Do you NEED to eat specific amounts and percentages daily?
Kind of a lot to explain here. Read this whole site before you start https://www.ruled.me/start-here/. I would also suggest you read other sources of info on keto before you begin. My best advice would be to research as much as you can for about a week before you begin going keto. You'll definitely need to up your electrolytes.

I've heard if you don't do Keto right, it is really bad for you so be careful.  Any truth to that?
Yep, but then again any diet done wrong is bad for you, hahaha....

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 06:45:24 pm »

She actually does a form of Keto with IF and that's what is working. She did Keto with Crossfit and it was still a slow process. It's funny but exercise, and Crossfit is serious exercise, doesn't seem to affect her weight loss.

If she's losing a lot less weight with exercise than without, I'd be worried about muscle loss. Muscle isn't nearly as energy dense as fat and when you go on a diet, it's a good bet that you're losing both fat and muscle. What most people want is to push that balance as far towards fat loss as possible, but that also means you have to deprive your of a lot more energy to lose a given amount of weight.

For reference, fat contains about 3500 calories per pound and muscle about 700 calories. So if you get your body to burn an extra 3500 calories, that can result in either a 1 pound loss of weight or a 5 pound loss of weight -- or anything in between. Massive muscle loss would pretty much require you to be bedridden, but having 20% of the weight you lose be muscle is quite normal.

Scientific studies have shown that you can significantly reduce the amount of muscle mass lost by exercise and upping your protein intake.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 09:37:18 am »

If she's losing a lot less weight with exercise than without, I'd be worried about muscle loss. Muscle isn't nearly as energy dense as fat and when you go on a diet, it's a good bet that you're losing both fat and muscle. What most people want is to push that balance as far towards fat loss as possible, but that also means you have to deprive your of a lot more energy to lose a given amount of weight.

For reference, fat contains about 3500 calories per pound and muscle about 700 calories. So if you get your body to burn an extra 3500 calories, that can result in either a 1 pound loss of weight or a 5 pound loss of weight -- or anything in between. Massive muscle loss would pretty much require you to be bedridden, but having 20% of the weight you lose be muscle is quite normal.

Scientific studies have shown that you can significantly reduce the amount of muscle mass lost by exercise and upping your protein intake.
She's getting plenty of protein... although she's tried diets without much like strict keto as well.  It's just that exercise doesn't affect her body type by burning fat as much as it might other people. She's spent years with different nutritionists and other exercise gurus.  The IF reduces insulin resistance and that seems to help the most. Lower insulin levels make stored body fat more accessible.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 03:38:36 pm »

This is correct for a regular calorie restriction diet with carbs. However, not exactly accurate for Keto/If. Keto is by nature more muscle sparing than regular dieting. The body will be looking for energy from the calorie intake, then from ketones from body fat stores, then lastly from lean muscle tissue.

Any appearance of muscle loss is from water and glycogen depletion. When your carbs are low, your muscles and liver don't hold much water and glycogen. That's why on a Keto/low carb diet you lose a lot of weight in the first week. Your body burns through your glycogen stores. And for every gram of glycogen in your body, there are 3-4 grams of water attached to it. And we all know how much water weighs. So for every gram of glycogen you lose, you actually lose 4-5 grams of weight. Therefore, since most glycogen is held in muscle tissue, when you burn all your glycogen and associated water your muscles look flat and smaller than usual.  You can offset this with to a small extent by supplementing with creatine.  Also, even though your muscles appear smaller, they will actually appear bigger if you get your body fat level low enough. Returning to carbs and filling your glycogen back up will usually fill your muscles back out. You will of course gain weight and be primed to gain body fat. Therefore you should add carbs back in slowly over the course of a month or two.

Anyhow, in my opinion, even though keto is usually muscle sparing. I would incorporate at least 1 full body session a week of weight training and keep protein low to moderate. Conversely, on a regular diet I would hit each muscle group 2-3 times a week and keep protein high.

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 01:47:29 pm »

The issue with Keto is a lot (most) people do not do it correctly.

This is a decent article about the pro / con, written in lament terms.  It doesn't demonize the diet; it discusses the medical merits of it, why it's helpful and where some short falls are.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/keto-diet-is-gaining-popularity-but-is-it-safe-121914#7

However, this said, people need to stop focusing on the scale.  Do research and learn for yourselves - the most effective way to burn fat is strength training. 

1:  Find your body type.  Every nutritional guide doesn't fit the next.  Keto / caveman diet / Weight Watchers / _____insert here. 

*Are you an ectomorph, endomorph, mesomporh?
*Have you had your Lipid profile done lately?
*How does *your body* process food?  This could vary on many things.  How do you sleep at night? Do you ever experience stomach discomfort?  How often do you urinate at night? What is your family history of DMII and heart disease? 

Carbs are not the enemy.  You may have a body type which needs more than another.  Maybe you do need more protein.  Perhaps you're just not as active as you should be.

But I promise 100% of all of you this:

Understanding your body type, eating the right foods at the right time and working out 4-5 days a week (strength based workouts) you will start to immediately feel better.

For me - my meals are very simple.  I shop and meal prep on Sundays, everything is done for the week.  I literally eat the same thing all week and treat food as fuel:

Breakfast: 
1 scoop protein powder w/water on the way to work
.5 grapenuts (dry)
two hard boils eggs
Three pieces of turkey bacon
.5 blueberries

Snack: (about 2 hours later):
.5 strawberries
2oz chicken breast

Lunch:
10 oz ground turkey
.5 brown rice
.5 baby carrotts
2 cups baby kale

Snack (2 hours):
2 scoops protein w/water

Snack (2 hours):
2oz chicken breast
8-10 baby carrots

Dinner:
16oz chicken breast
2 cups baby kale
1 cup baby carrots

Snack before bed:
8-10 nuts or a cup of fruit

I lift four days a week; 3 days a week includes HIIT training (in addition to); yoga 3 days a week and I'm in the BJJ studio twice a week. 

I generally have a cheat meal every other week. 

My point - don't try anything cookie cutter.  You're *all* too smart for that.  Do research and find what works for *your body.*  But what WILL work is making yourself stronger.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray