Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:55:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Democrat candidates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Democrat candidates  (Read 24351 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 05:37:07 pm »

Not sure how you see Bloomberg as anything slightly close to Reagan. Just a few differences off the top of my head ... Bloomberg is anti-gun, a radical pro-abortion, and stands against people of faith.  Not anything I'd attribute to Reagan.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 07:00:07 pm »

Not sure how you see Bloomberg as anything slightly close to Reagan. Just a few differences off the top of my head ... Bloomberg is anti-gun, a radical pro-abortion, and stands against people of faith.  Not anything I'd attribute to Reagan.

Perfect example of how far the right has swung on guns.  RR signed Mufurd act as governor (banning open carry in California) and supported both the Brady Bill and Assault Weapons ban.  Today the NRA would jump up and down screaming he is trying to take away all our guns.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2020, 08:02:06 pm »

Perfect example of how far the right has swung on guns.  RR signed Mufurd act as governor (banning open carry in California) and supported both the Brady Bill and Assault Weapons ban.  Today the NRA would jump up and down screaming he is trying to take away all our guns.
Many weren't keen then either. He didn't pass any meaningful gun restriction law while he was in office. Reagan had mixed support on the 2nd amendment but he did believe Americans had the right to have guns.  Bloomberg thinks only the police should have guns.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 10:16:17 pm »

Bloomberg thinks only the police should have guns.

Blatantly false.  He supports background checks, assault rifle ban (supported by Reagan) and banning high capacity magazines.  Not ending private ownership of guns.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2020, 10:40:41 pm »

Ugh .. not that I want to defend Bloomberg, but he isn't a radical on abortion .. he's pretty mainstream on abortion.

Also, where have you seen that he stands against people of faith. I don't see anywhere where he wants to do away with the first ammendment.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 02:09:05 am »

Your analogy is correct, but your thinking is wrong.

Republicans swing to the right with regan/bush, dems swing back to the center with clinton, the republicans call the center the left and swing even further right to bush II, then the dems swing back to the center with Obama, Trump swings even further to the right of Bush II as a fake populist, then you wan't to swing back to the center again. The next time bloomberg would be called a communist, and we'd get a populist much further right than trump. Nominating a centrist is
a - a sure way to lose (see hillary),
b - a sure way to get someone even further to the right of trump next time when billionaire centrist policies don't make the poor white people any better off.

swing to the left for fucking once, we need FDR left right now, not a "democrat" that would be about as far right on the spectrum as Ronald Regan.
2008 Obama campaigned FAR to the left of Bill Clinton and - although certainly moderated in office - governed significantly to Bill's left as well, so I wouldn't characterize that as a swing "back to the center."

The reason why you don't traditionally see Democrats swinging hard left after losses (unlike the GOP which goes further and further right) is twofold:

1) Republicans have a monolithic (white hetero Christian) base, while Democrats have a very diverse base with many different priorities, so it's harder for the Dems to swing left in a way that placates all of their base at once
2) When Democrats lose, they try to triangulate and regain the voters they lost to Republicans, whereas when Republicans lose, they work to drive turnout with their existing base (see #1)

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 05:54:33 pm »

2) When Democrats lose, they try to triangulate and regain the voters they lost to Republicans, whereas when Republicans lose, they work to drive turnout with their existing base (see #1)

Jesus could descend on live television, resurrect 40 year old Ronald Reagan and give him fingers that shot bullet shaped jelly beans and promised to give every MAGA hat wearer a shiny red sports car that played the confederate battle song when they hit the horn and they'd still vote for Trump. Sometimes people are just too far gone and our country needs to be denazified.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2020, 03:18:13 pm »

I really don't think it matters who the candidate is, they are going to get blown out by Trump.  

I found a nice article written by a Democrat from a left leaning website who attended a Trump rally.  It is a nice read, even if you hate Trump with a fiery passion.  I think it paints a picture that the real assholes are the ones calling people racists for supporting something they don't agree with, among other things, mainly because of groupthink.  If anything, it is realistic, so prepare yourselves come November.  

https://gen.medium.com/ive-been-a-democrat-for-20-years-here-s-what-i-experienced-at-trump-s-rally-in-new-hampshire-c69ddaaf6d07

I think the Democrats have an ass-kicking coming to them in November, and I think most of them will be utterly shocked when it happens, because they’re existing in an echo chamber that is not reflective of the broader reality. I hope it’s a wake-up call that causes them to take a long look in the mirror and really ask themselves how they got here. Maybe then they’ll start listening. I tend to doubt it, but I can hope.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:45:09 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2020, 03:36:18 pm »

Jesus could descend on live television, resurrect 40 year old Ronald Reagan and give him fingers that shot bullet shaped jelly beans and promised to give every MAGA hat wearer a shiny red sports car that played the confederate battle song when they hit the horn and they'd still vote for Trump. Sometimes people are just too far gone and our country needs to be denazified.
And that my dear friend is exactly why you don't understand why people are voting for Trump. Few of us are voting for Trump the man. Your assessment is straight out of the vocal minority getting off on the TDS that you see on liberal TV. I'm guilty of it at times but honestly if we had a conservative politician with balls who has tact ... we'd be all over it.  Give me a Nikki Haley over Trump every day of the week.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2020, 04:42:21 pm »

I think the Democrats have an ass-kicking coming to them in November, and I think most of them will be utterly shocked when it happens, because they’re existing in an echo chamber that is not reflective of the broader reality. I hope it’s a wake-up call that causes them to take a long look in the mirror and really ask themselves how they got here. Maybe then they’ll start listening. I tend to doubt it, but I can hope.
I think "It was at a Trump rally that I realized it is the Democrats who live in an echo chamber" is one of the most amazing claims I've seen.  She should write for The Onion.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2020, 04:44:06 pm »

I'm guilty of it at times but honestly if we had a conservative politician with balls who has tact ... we'd be all over it.  Give me a Nikki Haley over Trump every day of the week.
In 2016, with the most well-regarded GOP primary field in decades, Trump won your primary by a landslide.  He is EXACTLY what today's GOP is about.

Nikki Haley would not beat a Trump in a GOP primary on any day of the week.  Ted Cruz has balls and tact, and he got his face stomped in.  Trump called Cruz's wife ugly and his father a traitor, then put Cruz on the phones to campaign for him.  Cruz was humiliated by Trump, not just politically but personally.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 04:48:25 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2020, 09:31:23 am »

And that my dear friend is exactly why you don't understand why people are voting for Trump. Few of us are voting for Trump the man. 

I can relate to this.  I agree with most of what Trump has done as president.  However, he is an embarrassment as a human being.  He is petty, arrogant, unprofessional,  etc. etc. etc.   But I don't vote based on how likeable someone is.  I agreed with most of what Bill Clinton did during his presidency.  But he was a pretty loathsome person.  Jimmy Carter seems like one of the most decent and kind human beings on the planet.  But I also consider him the worst president in modern history.  Andrew Jackson was a total asshole.  But he is also one of my favorite presidents.   Unfortunately, civility is an increasingly rare trait in our society.  Sadly, politicians are a microcosm of society and civility is pretty much disappearing from the political landscape as well. 
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2020, 09:46:25 am »

I can relate to this.  I agree with most of what Trump has done as president.  However, he is an embarrassment as a human being.  He is petty, arrogant, unprofessional,  etc. etc. etc.   But I don't vote based on how likeable someone is.  I agreed with most of what Bill Clinton did during his presidency.  But he was a pretty loathsome person.  Jimmy Carter seems like one of the most decent and kind human beings on the planet.  But I also consider him the worst president in modern history.  Andrew Jackson was a total asshole.  But he is also one of my favorite presidents.   Unfortunately, civility is an increasingly rare trait in our society.  Sadly, politicians are a microcosm of society and civility is pretty much disappearing from the political landscape as well. 
Wow ... I had to look twice to make sure this wasn't my post. LOL ... I couldn't agree much more.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2020, 09:50:42 am »

In 2016, with the most well-regarded GOP primary field in decades, Trump won your primary by a landslide.  He is EXACTLY what today's GOP is about.

Nikki Haley would not beat a Trump in a GOP primary on any day of the week.  Ted Cruz has balls and tact, and he got his face stomped in.  Trump called Cruz's wife ugly and his father a traitor, then put Cruz on the phones to campaign for him.  Cruz was humiliated by Trump, not just politically but personally.
Trump won because he is so different. I voted for Rubio but supported Trump once he got the nod. I really don't think it helped anyone to have Rubio/Cruz and even Bush vs Trump because they split the votes until it was too late for any of them. I don't think you realize how much conservatives felt attacked during the previous 8 years but to have an "in your face" rebuttal to it is appealing for many. 

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2020, 10:34:54 am »

I'm all Bernie at this point.

Even though Buttigieg is too corporate dem for me, I like the package he comes in.  He is smart, measured, and eloquent, and I could get behind him in leadership.  I am hoping that he has room to grow as a person and politician.

The rest, I just hope doesn't get there.

Bloomberg is the worst.  I would legitimately rather run Bernie and lose than run Bloomberg and win.  It would be the death of democracy to have two billionaire candidates...especially since Bloomberg is literally just buying influence.  And Bloomberg is 100% a Republican.  He's just softened on some issues he probably doesn't care about so that he can get a change PLUS the GOP is some other perverted force that doesn't represent normal conservatism anymore, as has been said ad-nauseum.

Biden is a corpse.  You could probably tell him that he won and put him in a nursing home and he'd think it was the white house.

Warren reminds me of my old-kooky aunt.  She's a poor-man's Bernie, anyway.  Her platform is OK, but it's really just putting your toe in the Bernie-water. 

I really, really want Sanders to get the nomination and then America really has a choice of two differing ideas of what this country should be and what kind of person you want running it.  In fact, Sanders is so far out of the establishment, that I bet he appeals to some of those Trump voters who realize they got had.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray