Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:19:50 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  What should the goal or goals be for the 2020 season?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What should the goal or goals be for the 2020 season?  (Read 2178 times)
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« on: May 08, 2020, 01:52:44 am »

Just wondering what everything thinks should be the goal for the season or what would be considered a successful season.

I don't know if winning would necessary be the goal since we are still in rebuilding mode but certainly i think the goals will really be more behind the scenes then on the field. Like working with Tua to getting him prepared for next season and things like that.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 09:25:02 am »

At this point, I am far more interested with how well the young players are playing than I am with Miami's record. This whole rebuild was planned around two offseasons with two drafts, and Miami again has a pair of 1st rounders and a pair of 2nd rounders in 2021.

If Miami goes 8-8, I'd be fine. If Miami goes 6-10, but the young talent shows real promise...I'm ok with that as well.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 10:36:38 am »

At this point, I am far more interested with how well the young players are playing than I am with Miami's record. This whole rebuild was planned around two offseasons with two drafts, and Miami again has a pair of 1st rounders and a pair of 2nd rounders in 2021.

If Miami goes 8-8, I'd be fine. If Miami goes 6-10, but the young talent shows real promise...I'm ok with that as well.

Same here. I would rather go 6-10 because Fitzy sucks but our young talent does well than go 9-7 because Fitzy has a career year but our young guys don't show promise. No cheering to lose this year, I want playoffs.

That being said, if we are 7-8 in the final week and already eliminated and losing the game means we draft 6 spots higher........
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 10:52:04 am »

Well, I think if you look at a successful blow-it-all-up-and-start-from-scratch-again rebuild model, the Jimmy Johnston Dallas era from 1989-1992 could be a guide as to the quickest absolute zero to hero turnaround.

Over that time he went: 1-15, 7-9, 11-5 wildcard (with the Redskins winning the Superbowl), then 13-3 and the whole prize.

We didn't sink to the 1-15 level, but at that stage he already had a Hall of Fame QB in place with all the draft riches from the Walker trade following on from there. All going well and in a competitive division I would hope for a 7-9 or better record in 2020. From 2021 onward though I expect (hope) a rapid rise to challenge for the division title (within two years at the very latest).
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 11:34:35 am »

Having seen how you can turn things around or even just be kinda bad but get lucky, I think you can hope for the playoffs.  That is, unless you're going to be historically bad and dump talent.  ...but if you're trying, playoffs are always attainable.

Especially this year with the Brady situation and some picks.  I think you try to make the playoffs, either through winning the division or wildcard.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 12:14:46 pm »

Given the state of the country...I would consider a season regardless of record a successful season.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 12:17:28 pm »

Ditto.  I think that is the sensible approach and expectation. 
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 12:50:59 pm »

The goal is to go undefeated, win the superbowl and outscore every team 56-0

what will happen is that we'll play pretty ok and go 9-7 and maybe make the playoffs
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 02:01:15 pm »

Be competitive in 12 or more games (ahead or within a score at some point in the 4th quarter). Doesn't really matter how many they win as they are not making the playoffs. Do that and that's a successful season. Not competitive in at least 12 games that would be discouraging.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:31:52 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 02:15:31 pm »

The goal is to go undefeated, win the superbowl and outscore every team 56-0

what will happen is that we'll play pretty ok and go 9-7 and maybe make the playoffs
I've been telling everyone who will listen we're going 9-7 and winning the AFCE because it's a weak division and a hard schedule, and that Bills and Dolphins in week 17 will determine the AFCE champ.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 04:17:36 pm »

I'd like to see an 8-8 record, with the team competitive in at least 13 of the games.  No blowouts like last year.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 05:30:31 pm »

I want to see the team playing better at the end of the season than it did previously. At this point we should only be getting better if things are working out.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray