Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:47:00 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Milkwaukee Bucks Boycott Playoff Game
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Milkwaukee Bucks Boycott Playoff Game  (Read 3968 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: August 26, 2020, 04:53:05 pm »

Just happened so no word yet on if the league says it is a forfeit, if other teams will join them or any of that.

All I know is if I gave out a large TV deal to the NBA, I may be looking for an out clause right about now. Ratings are bad for the restart and this will only make them even worse for this season and beyond.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 07:24:58 pm »

I think you're wrong.  I think this will likely help ratings, long-term. 

Also, I don't think it's fair to say that ratings are bad for the restart.  What are you comparing them to?  These are day games that the NBA doesn't traditionally have.  I can only speak for myself, but I've been watching and so has everyone else I know that normally watches basketball.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 08:40:19 pm »

I think you're wrong.  I think this will likely help ratings, long-term. 

Also, I don't think it's fair to say that ratings are bad for the restart.  What are you comparing them to?  These are day games that the NBA doesn't traditionally have.  I can only speak for myself, but I've been watching and so has everyone else I know that normally watches basketball.
Ratings are down for all sports, you can say whether it's because no fans is weird, they don't see the seasons as legit, people don't want politics in sports or maybe some of each, but ratings are down. I don't think people are more likely to watch sports when they are political. The country is very polarized, so people who disagree with a players or teams politics will just stop watching.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 12:21:09 am »

I knew this discussion seemed familiar...

With both the NBA and the NFL suffering dramatic losses in viewership due to all the wokeness, I guess that leaves MLB and the NHL as the ascendant sports in America?

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 08:35:45 am »

Looks like the Lakers pulled the same stunt.  It should be simple.  If you boycott, you don't get paid.  You are paid to play the game.  Spouting your beliefs is not in your job description and not what you're being paid to do.  You do that on your own time

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 08:40:06 am »

Looks like the Lakers pulled the same stunt.  It should be simple.  If you boycott, you don't get paid.  You are paid to play the game.  Spouting your beliefs is not in your job description and not what you're being paid to do.  You do that on your own time

From what I read, the players share revenues with the owners 50/50. So, it's a weird boycott that could have really bad financial implications down the road. I don't think any players are starving right now but stuff like this can lead to lock outs and TV contracts being revisited. Plus, they don't appear to be unified since only the LA teams voted to cancel the season.

I'm a Knicks fan so I obviously don't care about basketball anymore but this isn't going to make more people watch.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 08:56:50 am »

I heard on the radio on my commute this morning that my Lakers and that other LA basketball team actually voted to not finish out the season. Again, I heard this on one of my local music stations, so I don't have an actual  story or piece to follow up with this.
I know that there are more important things than sports. But I hope that the season gets back on track. Selfishly, I'm a Lakers fan and this is their year so I want another banner. But also, having a sports season, even a truncated one, is normal, and just feels good. I think it's a good way to heal.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 09:00:28 am by stinkfish » Logged

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 09:41:20 am »

I heard on the radio on my commute this morning that my Lakers and that other LA basketball team actually voted to not finish out the season.

I heard the same thing.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 10:27:46 am »

I heard on the radio on my commute this morning that my Lakers and that other LA basketball team actually voted to not finish out the season. Again, I heard this on one of my local music stations, so I don't have an actual  story or piece to follow up with this.
I know that there are more important things than sports. But I hope that the season gets back on track. Selfishly, I'm a Lakers fan and this is their year so I want another banner. But also, having a sports season, even a truncated one, is normal, and just feels good. I think it's a good way to heal.

I'm a bizarro purist because I don't think any of these seasons are legitimate and being a long suffering Knicks and Rangers fan, I am glad my teams stink and won't be winning these championships. Raising the Stanley Cup in an empty arena after a 4 month break is just illegitimate to me.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 02:01:21 pm »

Looks like Lebron and his team has backed away from their stance to cancel the season.

This is pure spreculation on my part, but as I said above, the TV networks undoubtedly went over those contracts and may have found that boycotting is a breach of them. Without TV money, the NBA and all sports are kind of dead. Especially now with no paid attendance.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 02:18:00 pm »

I'm a bizarro purist because I don't think any of these seasons are legitimate and being a long suffering Knicks and Rangers fan, I am glad my teams stink and won't be winning these championships. Raising the Stanley Cup in an empty arena after a 4 month break is just illegitimate to me.

Exactly what every fan whose team has no chance is saying.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 02:24:24 pm »

Exactly what every fan whose team has no chance is saying.

Probably, but I am also a Yankees fan and I'm not watching any of the games this year. They have a legit shot at winning the World Series but it's a giant exhibition season to me and I almost hope they don't.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 02:25:22 pm »

Lightning are going to win the cup, it's a legit year.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 02:26:24 pm »

The problem with this method is that it doesn't make the correct point to people it actually needs to. I understand it is making use of the most powerful weapon they have but it isn't going to open a discussion about police violence. There needs to be common ground found at some point and this clouds the water I fear.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 04:58:17 pm »

I've never seen anyone claim that LeBron really only has two championships, or that Duncan and Pop have an asterisk next to their five, or that John Riggins's Super Bowl MVP is illegitimate.  Nor have I seen anyone say that the World Series held when many top players were serving in WW2 don't count.

In 10 years, the only thing that people will care about is who won the championship.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray