Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:32:29 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  If available, would you trade for Deshaun Watson?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24 Print
Author Topic: If available, would you trade for Deshaun Watson?  (Read 43334 times)
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2021, 11:26:01 pm »

No way.

After getting ourselves into a pretty nice position to build towards something special, the last thing we need to do is blow away a strong draft and a massive chunk of cap space.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 04:01:53 am »

It depends on where you pick and how close you are to a championship. Cap space too is a factor.
The Rams were 7-9 (or worse) for a full decade before picking Jared Goff.  They were not close.  They got a good-enough QB - Goff played quite well in 2017 and 2018 - and quickly went to the SB.  They just won a road playoff game today.  Any cap space issues they have had have come from rewarding existing players, and would not really be solved by having more picks in the past.  (Unless you think they should have drafted to replace Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey?)

In general, if you lose your 1st and 2nd rounder for 3 years, you are on your way down.
You are no more on your way down than if you use those picks yourself and miss on them, as MIA has done repeatedly over the last decade.

Picks are important, but not NEARLY as important as a young, proven Pro Bowl-caliber QB.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 04:03:53 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 04:18:42 am »

I mean, suppose we could go back in time to the 2000 or 2005 draft, with all GMs knowing what Brady or Rodgers will do.  What you're essentially saying is that if someone offered CLE or SF 3 firsts and 3 seconds for Brady or Rodgers, those teams should accept those trades.

That is a dumb hypothetical.  You can’t offer CLE 6 picks and get Brady.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 05:24:43 am »

So you're saying that it should be 8 picks?  Maybe 10?  Or is there no amount of picks that is worth it for CLE to give up Brady?

If the latter, then the real question at hand is not the value of the picks, but whether one thinks Watson is good.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 05:33:48 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 11:52:30 am »

It seems that trade talks between the Dolphins and the Texans are heating up.  A buddy of mine who knows a couple of the Dolphins beat writers are saying that the Texans will settle for Tua, the Dolphins lower first rounder and their higher second rounder.

Personally, I would pull the trigger on that deal.  It leaves the Dolphins still in possession of the #3 pick which that can grab Sewell with.  Or they can trade down with Cincy to #5, recoup at least one of those picks, and grab Chase or another O-lineman. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 12:13:34 pm »

So you're saying that it should be 8 picks?  Maybe 10?  Or is there no amount of picks that is worth it for CLE to give up Brady?

If the latter, then the real question at hand is not the value of the picks, but whether one thinks Watson is good.

It is a dumb hypocritical because CLE never has Brady.  A real hypothetical would be “based on what we know now is there any amount of picks that BB should have accepted to trade Brady and keep Bledsoe in 2002?”

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 01:12:49 pm »

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Texans QB Deshaun Watson "is still angry about team's insensitivity to social justice."

Mort added that Watson's anger over the team's insensitivity to social justice issues includes their hiring practices and not even giving Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy an interview. Watson has reportedly gone to bat for Bieniemy within the Houston organization and Bieniemy's record should speak for itself. He has been the Chiefs OC in all three of Patrick Mahomes' three seasons as a starter and is serving under arguably the greatest offensive-minded head coach in the NFL, Andy Reid. Houston's refusal to interview him is questionable at best. Mort included the fact that Watson's new contract gave him a no-trade clause. With the no-trade clause in his deal, the Texans can't simply move Watson to the highest bidder. They will have to find a place Watson wants to land for him to waive the clause. Mort's sources speculated that a deal with Miami involving Tua Tagovailoa would be considered by Watson. The deal may be best for both parties at Tagovailoa has failed to live up to expectations in his first year and Watson's relationship with Houston may be fractured beyond repair.
Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter
Jan 10, 2021, 11:42 AM ET

1) The writers for Rotoworld have become insufferable with their hot takes.
2) I would hope Watson isn't actually putting priority on social justice issues over football issues. Unlike Kaepernick, he is actually a good QB and shouldn't get his career off course hoping that a dysfunctional organization gets into politics.
3) There is no Tua and draft picks for Watson trade. That's just fantasy shit we talk about here and on Twitter.
4) The Texans would have to be happy with the compensation while Watson is happy about the compensation as well as destination. DeShaun doesn't want to go to another Bill O'Brien situation where they mortgaged a ton for one guy.

This is just shit for us to talk about in the offseason. He might be traded but it's likely they kiss and make up and make some empty gesture that placates him and he will regret it during Week 5 of next  year when they are 1-4.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2021, 01:25:17 pm »

2) I would hope Watson isn't actually putting priority on social justice issues over football issues. Unlike Kaepernick, he is actually a good QB and shouldn't get his career off course hoping that a dysfunctional organization gets into politics.

Yes, the last thing we need is citizens caring more about the state of the country and world  at large than his own football career.  That is the problem with this country too many people put the good of the country over their own selfish ambitions. Shame on Watson for carrying about social issues.  He should follow the lead of Muhammad Ali who never once allowed politics to get in his way to become a champion. /sarcasm off
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 01:45:21 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2021, 02:16:57 pm »

Yes, the last thing we need is citizens caring more about the state of the country and world  at large than his own football career.  That is the problem with this country too many people put the good of the country over their own selfish ambitions. Shame on Watson for carrying about social issues.  He should follow the lead of Muhammad Ali who never once allowed politics to get in his way to become a champion. /sarcasm off

There is nothing the Texans can do that Deshaun Watson cannot do himself. I could be wrong, but has Watson done anything himself for whatever causes he believes the Texans should also believe in? If not, then he is just a slacktivist and should focus on football.

Let's be honest here, if JJ Watt refused to play for a team that didn't donate $25 Million to the GOP and take a stance against abortion, we wouldn't be praising him. We need less politics in sports, not more. Everyone can do their part on their own time and make 100x more of a difference than asking for stupid ownership to do anything.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2021, 02:42:23 pm »

It would make the team instantly in the conversation for a serious run and Super Bowl talk, but no I wouldn’t do it. I don’t think they would be good enough against some of the AFC teams. We still need a lot of upgrades in a lot of areas. Very disappointing end of the year for Tua and there is some doubts and it’s worth scouting QB’s in the draft or getting Trubisky or someone for some competition for Tua.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2021, 03:49:51 pm »

It is a dumb hypocritical because CLE never has Brady.  A real hypothetical would be “based on what we know now is there any amount of picks that BB should have accepted to trade Brady and keep Bledsoe in 2002?”
The hypothetical was to redo the 2000 draft, in which the Cleveland Browns had the #1 overall pick.

In such a hypothetical, CLE would have certainly used said pick on Tom Brady.  That's the point.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 10:38:01 am »

I posed the question, I toss in my answer:

I would do this, I would love to have Watson on this team.  I fully expect Tua to be a good QB, issue is; what is his cap?  If he turns into the most amazing version of what we hope...he may turn into something similar to a less mobile Watson.

It's kind of funny we see the same thing but see it differently. I see Watson's mobility as a hazard to his long term health. I look at Brady, Brees, and Rodgers and see long term QBs who aren't very mobile. Because of that they take way less hits than the mobile QBs. The top 5 oldest QBs are not very mobile. Russell Wilson would be the oldest mobile QB but it doesn't seem like there are very many.

Tom Brady (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) -- 43 years, 158 days
Drew Brees (New Orleans Saints) -- 41 years, 359 day
Philip Rivers (Indianapolis Colts) -- 39 years, 31 days
Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh Steelers) -- 38 years, 312 days
Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay Packers) -- 37 years, 37 days

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2021, 05:06:28 pm »

You don't think Rodgers is mobile?  He has more rushing yards/game (16.6) than Elway (14.6), and he's very close to Mahomes (17.6), who is much younger.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:14:25 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2021, 05:46:58 pm »

It seems that trade talks between the Dolphins and the Texans are heating up.  A buddy of mine who knows a couple of the Dolphins beat writers are saying that the Texans will settle for Tua, the Dolphins lower first rounder and their higher second rounder.

This is at least a reasonable trade offer.  IMO no player is worth 2 or 3 #1's and #2's; you just handicap your team for too long.  The way the NFL cap situation works now you need to be bringing in high quality young talent every year, at rookie wage scales, to be able to remain competitive.  If your a NE team of the past you can get away with bringing in free agents that are chasing a Super Bowl on the cheap, but that's an exception to the rule.

As for getting rid of Tua the only people with enough knowledge to make that judgement is the coaching staff; they are the ones that have seen him in practice, they are the ones that set the growth pattern for him and know whether he reached the goals they set for him this season.  From what I saw of his play there is no reason to move on from him,yet.  But I don't know, nor do any of us know, what the coaching staff expected of him this past season.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2021, 05:51:24 pm »

Who was Ali employed by???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray